• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December Board Applicants

Hump

Not at the Enterprise I want to work at...
Going PILOT/NFO. Hopefully MEPS next week depending on what my med read comes back saying. They wanted to take a closer look at my PRK surgery paperwork, which makes me nervous.

alaurin

All day, every day!
Going PILOT/NFO. Hopefully MEPS next week depending on what my med read comes back saying. They wanted to take a closer look at my PRK surgery paperwork, which makes me nervous.

They do that to everyone with eye surgery. I was sent back 3 months later for an eye consult purely b/c of the PRK.

They do that to everyone with eye surgery. I was sent back 3 months later for an eye consult purely b/c of the PRK.
Though I haven't been through the process yet, I've been told that with PRK they want to see paperwork that includes the pre-surgery consult, post-op appointment(s), as well as a recent run through by a military optometrist. If I'm off base, please correct me.

- Z

exNavyOffRec

Though I haven't been through the process yet, I've been told that with PRK they want to see paperwork that includes the pre-surgery consult, post-op appointment(s), as well as a recent run through by a military optometrist. If I'm off base, please correct me.

- Z

None of my guys that were cleared who had PRK had to see any military eye doctors prior to OCS.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
There is a specific form that has to be submitted along with all the documents from the doctor.... your OR should have it. get a copy and have tour eye doc fill it out. There are certain follow ups that must be hit within certain time frames. If you missed a follow up or they were not within the correct time frame it usually triggers an opto consult. I have also seen a consult as a result of too much variation in follow up results. They basically verify the last follow up.

A$AP

None
Now with PRK, is that something that can be done after OCS, if need be? Or is it something that one has done on their own time, to be reimbursed by the Navy afterwards? I'm curious, as my recruiter told me that the Navy would pay for it as long as vision is correctable to 20/20. I also know that there is a grounding period, right? Any insight would be appreciated-- thanks!

Hump

Not at the Enterprise I want to work at...
I was told for Pilot/NFO it should be done beforehand. The recovery takes a few months, but after 6 months I was reading the 20/10 line at the eye doctor. I made sure I had a medical release and got all the pre-op and post-op forms to my OR as well. I had follow ups at 1, 2, 3 and 6 months and never missed one.

exNavyOffRec

Now with PRK, is that something that can be done after OCS, if need be? Or is it something that one has done on their own time, to be reimbursed by the Navy afterwards? I'm curious, as my recruiter told me that the Navy would pay for it as long as vision is correctable to 20/20. I also know that there is a grounding period, right? Any insight would be appreciated-- thanks!

If you are going for Pilot it needs to be done prior to submission of your application, if you were selected Pilot and could not be fully qualified in 30 days NRC can take away your Pro Rec, if you were selected Pilot and NFO then you could lose your Pilot spot and either go NFO or decline (good luck getting selected again).

If you have PRK and do not meet the 6 month wait within a short time after being Pro Rec you could lose Pro Rec Y for all designators selected for.

A$AP

None
If you are going for Pilot it needs to be done prior to submission of your application, if you were selected Pilot and could not be fully qualified in 30 days NRC can take away your Pro Rec, if you were selected Pilot and NFO then you could lose your Pilot spot and either go NFO or decline (good luck getting selected again).

If you have PRK and do not meet the 6 month wait within a short time after being Pro Rec you could lose Pro Rec Y for all designators selected for.
Really.... My recruiter told me that as long as my vision was correctable to 20/20, the Navy would pay for the surgery..... I've been going through the normal protocols for applying ever since. I appreciate the insight; all of this seems so confusing. I was wondering how that would all work-- if I could get the PRK done and still continue MEPS, and that the 6 month wait period would be able to occur between Newport and P-Cola.

exNavyOffRec

Really.... My recruiter told me that as long as my vision was correctable to 20/20, the Navy would pay for the surgery..... I've been going through the normal protocols for applying ever since. I appreciate the insight; all of this seems so confusing. I was wondering how that would all work-- if I could get the PRK done and still continue MEPS, and that the 6 month wait period would be able to occur between Newport and P-Cola.

They will but if the designator you want to go into requires 20/20 then you need to get it done prior, if it does not then you can come in with vision as is then you can get corrective surgery done at some point in your career, it all depends on the needs of the USN and how you can fit it in.

Most officers I have known that have had it done were on their shore duty or we were in an extended availability.

A$AP

None
They will but if the designator you want to go into requires 20/20 then you need to get it done prior, if it does not then you can come in with vision as is then you can get corrective surgery done at some point in your career, it all depends on the needs of the USN and how you can fit it in.

Most officers I have known that have had it done were on their shore duty or we were in an extended availability.
I see. This clarifies a lot of questions I had-- thank you NavyOffRec! I'm hoping for Pilot or NFO (in that order preferably, but if NFO is the selection, I am just grateful and blessed for the opportunity). I've heard that NFO vision is more lenient in the department of 20/20 or not. I've also read on here that some try to switch to SNA later on down the road, but it is a difficult road to travel. Once again, either designator would suit me; I primarily want an opportunity to serve in any magnitude that I can. Thanks again!

exNavyOffRec

I see. This clarifies a lot of questions I had-- thank you NavyOffRec! I'm hoping for Pilot or NFO (in that order preferably, but if NFO is the selection, I am just grateful and blessed for the opportunity). I've heard that NFO vision is more lenient in the department of 20/20 or not. I've also read on here that some try to switch to SNA later on down the road, but it is a difficult road to travel. Once again, either designator would suit me; I primarily want an opportunity to serve in any magnitude that I can. Thanks again!

Just remember that if your vision is worse than 20/40 then you will be found NPQ for Pilot.

NFO's just have to be correctable to 20/20