• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DC Sniper to die Tuesday, 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mos

None
I had 3 years of Hebrew in Highschool. It's really not that bad aside from everything having a singular/plural/male/female form. As for translations, King James was screwy, but the modern day translations from the Greek are pretty good. Ultimately, I suppose if you want the true product, you have to learn the true language.

On topic: I hope they have to stab him 50 times to find a vein.

Completely agree, though I don't subscribe to the religion. I've had the privilige of interning with a translation team, and I can tell you first hand that a whole lot of work goes into it. The translators try their best to understand the meaning of the original language and then put it in words that are understandable in the target language. But it's impossible to do that 100%.

My point about Judeo/Christian versus Islamic text criticism is that in the first case, there's been a lot of modern work on it (both good and bad) since the 18th or 19th century. In the case of the Qur'an, there's been comparatively nothing until recent. I find it really interesting that now that the Qur'an is starting to come under deeper examination, there's a possibility that much of it may be of other Semitic language and not just pure Arabic.

I'll end my threadjack now. Glad this guy is getting executed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.......That ended the Islamic Jihad in the Philippines. Terrorist incidents from Islamic Fundamentalists were unheard of until a decade ago when the U.S. State Department recognized the PLO as legitimate 'Freedom Fighters' " (Vendyl Jones, RESEARCHER [Arlington, Texas: Vendyl Jones Research Institutes, January 2001]: 20).

American reaction sure has changed in 90 years.

I have heard that anecdote several times over the years and have yet to find anything definitive that shows it actually happened. This site, citing a General Pershing biographer, claims that it is false. You need to source stuff better too, after a short Google search it appears the guy you cited is a bit of a nut, who among other things claims that he was the inspiration for Indiana Jones.

And it is complete bullshit that 'Islamic fundamentalist' terrorism has started happening again recently (past 20 years), it has been going on for a lot longer than that, well before the PLO was 'recognized'.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
They ought to auction tickets to his execution.

We gotta pay for healthcare somehow.

red_ryder

None
I just don't think it's very healthy to be celebrating death, even a criminal, but I am glad justice will be served, and relatively swiftly even.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I just don't think it's very healthy to be celebrating death, even a criminal, but I am glad justice will be served, and relatively swiftly even.

There are some deaths I'll celebrate. While I won't throw a party for this guy's, I'm going to smile a little. And I feel pretty healthy...

I'm not a big proponent of the death penalty, for practical reasons not moral reasons. But I think this DB deserves ever drop of poison that goes into his body.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The thing is, though, in translating from one language to another, it's never just "word for word."

The flipside to this of that is no matter how hard anyone tries to learn the original language in order to read the original "pure" text, there will also be subtleties, nuances, etc. that are lost that person.

GroundPounder

I would bet that if you were to stand over someone that was murdered, you wouldn't ( couldn't ? ) feel that way any more. I obviously had no involvement in this particular case, but have been to many scenes where the victim was just that, an innocent victim. I can't imagine a person that more deserves the death penalty than someone who would set a mobile sniper lair and kill people that were exiting a store.

I can respect your opinion, I just doubt if it could sustain being exposed to what some people will do to others. People that consider everyone that they meet as potential prey, not a large percentage of the population but they do exist.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
70 of these then?

SuperStock_1560R-2054289.jpg

Virgin raisin.

Meh. I've done worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.