• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dark brown flight boots? When did that happen?

BarryD

Contributor
Speaking of footwear, does the recently adopted Army uniform use same Navy brown low-quarters? (Taken from public DOD social media)
.View attachment 38458
They are actually different than the brown Bates Lites that the NEX sold forever; these ones appear to have soles that are less susceptible to falling apart. When Bates lost the contract earlier this year the NEX down here started selling the Army brown shoes (I think Capps is the brand) pictured above.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The Navy/USMC get this right with their uniforms. Less is more.
The guidance in the Air Force is now "all, some, or none". I fall in the "none" category- just a set of wings. It usually starts a conversation that I answer like this: "The ribbons are what I got for doing my job, the wings are what I earned."

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
The guidance in the Air Force is now "all, some, or none". I fall in the "none" category- just a set of wings. It usually starts a conversation that I answer like this: "The ribbons are what I got for doing my job, the wings are what I earned."
Do you wear both sets of wings? If so, do you get to choose which one is above the other?

Also does the USAF have drone pilot wings specifically or is it all the same regardless of T/M/S? I vaguely remember there being many different types of “wings” in the USAF, all with a different symbol in the middle, but those all were for different designators.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Do you wear both sets of wings? If so, do you get to choose which one is above the other?

Also does the USAF have drone pilot wings specifically or is it all the same regardless of T/M/S? I vaguely remember there being many different types of “wings” in the USAF, all with a different symbol in the middle, but those all were for different designators.

I'm supposed to wear the AF "senior" pilot wings over the Naval Aviator wings. The gold wing mafia is pretty strong here (and across the state) so it's largely left up to the individual preference on most occasions. Command billets and above all wear the AF wings on top. My name patches all have my gold wings on top. I've worn my blues exactly once in 4 years, and I was/am brainwashed by the USMC, so I matched the Sr gold wing guy and wore the AF wings on top.

The AF does have RPA/drone pilot specific wings (as does the USMC) for the folks who went through the undergraduate RPA training course, but anyone who goes through traditional pilot training wears the traditional pilot wings.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I'm supposed to wear the AF "senior" pilot wings over the Naval Aviator wings. The gold wing mafia is pretty strong here (and across the state) so it's largely left up to the individual preference on most occasions. Command billets and above all wear the AF wings on top. My name patches all have my gold wings on top. I've worn my blues exactly once in 4 years, and I was/am brainwashed by the USMC, so I matched the Sr gold wing guy and wore the AF wings on top.

The AF does have RPA/drone pilot specific wings (as does the USMC) for the folks who went through the undergraduate RPA training course, but anyone who goes through traditional pilot training wears the traditional pilot wings.
Fascinating!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
But... Pocket tab flare....
I do hate the FOD flap on my Navy flight suits. I’m very tempted to cut them off, as there is no real safety reason to have them when the USAF doesn’t and flies all the same types of aircraft. Plus the mini patches on the pocket tab are always so….creative.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I do hate the FOD flap on my Navy flight suits. I’m very tempted to cut them off, as there is no real safety reason to have them when the USAF doesn’t and flies all the same types of aircraft. Plus the mini patches on the pocket tab are always so….creative.
And while we are at it dispense with the labor intensive and maintenance intensive process of covering flight helmets with 100% refelective tape. Neither of our nations top helicopter over water SAR organizations do this to flight equipment. And GENTEX the manufacturer has never recommended it:

This looks far cooler. Navy and Marines should have OD helmet with "USN" or "USMC" and 2-3 strips of tape as shown by this professional aviator:

1690646661229.png

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Of course - Gen Minihan visited CAP Blue Beret Cadets at EAA Oshkosh the other day - sporting a FOD Flap :) He was a hit with the cadets!

1690647053901.png

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In truth Minihan strikes me as a solid guy. His “get ready for war” missive is not altogether wrong, just a bit aggressive for so senior a leader. In any case, he is an honest and direct leader who seems to care about the two most important things…victory and people.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Real question for red wings is: rock the red/yellow laces, or go with black laces?

One screams “I’m out and regs and I don’t care about your opinion”, and the other goes a little more incognito.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Real question for red wings is: rock the red/yellow laces, or go with black laces?

One screams “I’m out and regs and I don’t care about your opinion”, and the other goes a little more incognito.
Mine (2408) came with black laces, so no such dilemma. I sliced off the Red Wings tag, but my boss wears his as purchased.

I've seen more than a few people keep the fancy laces. I don't think anyone cares outside of maintenance inspections.