• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dark brown flight boots? When did that happen?

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I've been wearing these for a few years now, and no one says anything unless my flight suit ride up enough to show the top (where it's black)
How do these fit compared to the Belleville 330ST? There's a Red Wings store near me, but in case they don't have the 2408s in stock I was going to simply order a couple sizes online and return whichever one doesn't fit.

So far have yet to see anyone rocking the Red Wings in VMM ready rooms, but I figure somebody has to break the mold.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
How do these fit compared to the Belleville 330ST? There's a Red Wings store near me, but in case they don't have the 2408s in stock I was going to simply order a couple sizes online and return whichever one doesn't fit.

So far have yet to see anyone rocking the Red Wings in VMM ready rooms, but I figure somebody has to break the mold.
I love them. Much better. My toes have room to breathe, and they provide a much stabler platform (not extra stability like a beefy running show, but they don't tend towards lateral tipping like the Bellevilles). I removed the inserts, because I prefer room to breathe and better ground feel, but I've been walking around barefoot at home for years.

JustAGuy

pilot
I bought this model of Red Wings when I was a JO. After almost 20 years, 8 deployments, and two resoles the uppers are still in fantastic condition minus some slight cuts on the leather where the tops hit the rudder pedals. Didn't wear them all the time, but I would say more than 75% of my time I wore these.

The padded upper makes them a winner even if it weren't for how much better they fit and feel.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I love them. Much better. My toes have room to breathe, and they provide a much stabler platform (not extra stability like a beefy running show, but they don't tend towards lateral tipping like the Bellevilles). I removed the inserts, because I prefer room to breathe and better ground feel, but I've been walking around barefoot at home for years.
What about the sizing, specifically? I wear a full size down in the Bellevilles compared to almost everything else.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I don't get the obsession with leather steel toed boots - even the Air Force H-60 pilots I've met all had the equivalent of soft soled sneakers in Coyote Brown. I'd be all over what ever was lightest and most comfortable - and I'd give a big middle finger to the squadron CO or ASO who directed me to wear anything different than what I wanted to wear.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I don't get the obsession with leather steel toed boots - even the Air Force H-60 pilots I've met all had the equivalent of soft soled sneakers in Coyote Brown. I'd be all over what ever was lightest and most comfortable - and I'd give a big middle finger to the squadron CO or ASO who directed me to wear anything different than what I wanted to wear.
I'm all about lightweight coyote brown boots, but the V-22 has a tendency to leak various oils and hydraulic fluids, sometimes inside the cabin. These are a royal pain in the dick to clean from rough-out boots without damaging the leather to some extent. Thus, I like smooth leather boots for actual flying. That will for sure change if I ever transition to something not as janky.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
What about the sizing, specifically? I wear a full size down in the Bellevilles compared to almost everything else.
I let the SD store size me for mine. I'm a 12 in running shoes, but the Navy always put me in 11 for boots. I think I'm in 11.5 in the Red Wings.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
…I'd be all over what ever was lightest and most comfortable - and I'd give a big middle finger to the squadron CO or ASO who directed me to wear anything different than what I wanted to wear.
Internet tough guy?

For some reason, I believe that you would cave.

Remember that one time at Hooters when you got carded by that Hooters girl…and you repeatedly refused to show your drivers license because you were trying to be a tough guy…and then she got really mad…and then you caved? Remember that? I do! I should have gotten a vid of that…or at least a few pics.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Seems like this would be a boring question but people can be really opinionated…

What do you polish/buff your boots with? I personally like to keep the whole boot buffed and put a decent shine on the toe cap. I’m not a fan of the “had my boots for so long they turn white” look.

For the nerds: red wings are oil tanned leather and don’t hold polish as well as the Bellevilles.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Internet tough guy?

For some reason, I believe that you would cave.

Remember that one time at Hooters when you got carded by that Hooters girl…and you repeatedly refused to show your drivers license because you were trying to be a tough guy…and then she got really mad…and then you caved? Remember that? I do! I should have gotten a vid of that…or at least a few pics.

I imagine she was trying to see if he qualified for the AARP discount

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like this would be a boring question but people can be really opinionated…

What do you polish/buff your boots with? I personally like to keep the whole boot buffed and put a decent shine on the toe cap. I’m not a fan of the “had my boots for so long they turn white” look.

For the nerds: red wings are oil tanned leather and don’t hold polish as well as the Bellevilles.
I just use the standard kiwi brown polish and a boot brush. It only takes a few minutes to get a decent shine back on them.

Reactions: IKE

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I like whole boot, no glassy toe. I've always thought it looked ridiculous to have a discrete demarcation line running along the top of the boot.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
If it's smooth leather you might try a layer of leather dye and then build up layers of wax on that.