• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Care to provide data backing this up? I have some that disagrees.

Current Michigan Hospital COVID Snapshot. We are past peak cases. Beaumont hospital shows 449 CV19 cases, 226 of whom are in the ICU. That equates to 70% capacity (and infers a total bed capacity of 641, 323 of which are ICU).
Those numbers Don’t even make sense. First you tell me 226 are in ICU and then you tell me it’s 323. And using your biggest number 323 of 641 does not equal 70%. How am suppose to take Beaumont hospital data serious?
BTW the link doesn’t open anything so I have to go based on what your saying which would get a giant F in 7th grade math class!

taxi1

pilot
- Flattening the curve is meant to keep the peak of the curve under a ceiling that represented a saturated health care system.
- As long as the curve doesn't bust the ceiling then the total deaths don't change; if the curve does bust the ceiling then total deaths will spike.
Flattening the curve lowers total deaths since your treatment methods are constantly improving, driving down the IFR. Potentially drastically if a real therapeutic pops up.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A problem with this approach, without a really good testing program (and ours remains half-assed), is that there is a big time delay between when people get infected and when they show up at the hospital, telling you it’s spreading. By the time you figure it out and shut things down again, there’s a big crest of infections coming.

Our testing program overall remains a shitshow. We’re flying half-blind at best.
A one month period is enough to assess how cases are trending, even with current testing methods.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Flattening the curve lowers total deaths since your treatment methods are constantly improving, driving down the IFR. Potentially drastically if a real therapeutic pops up.
COVID-19 kills people by essentially turning their alveoli into plastic. There's no treatment for that.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Those numbers Don’t even make sense. First you tell me 226 are in ICU and then you tell me it’s 323. And using your biggest number 323 of 641 does not equal 70%. How am suppose to take Beaumont hospital data serious?
BTW the link doesn’t open anything so I have to go based on what your saying which would get a giant F in 7th grade math class!
Alright, 7th grade math. 70% of X is 226. Solve for X. 70% of X is 449, solve for X.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

taxi1

pilot
COVID-19 kills people by essentially turning their alveoli into plastic. There's no treatment for that.
ECMO treats it. Plus, clotting problems is proving to be a killing mechanism.

O2, ventilators, ECMO, prone position breathing, potentially HCQ, potentially remdesivir, work on vaccines, understanding that it causes clotting problems and treating those, Vitamin D,...

UMichfly

pilot
None
323 of 641 is 50.39%. 7th grade math!
Jesus dude, this isn't hard. There are currently 449 cases in that hospital system with 226 of those shown as being in the ICU. They are reporting that they are currently 70% full. In other words, 70% of their total capacity is 449. In math, that is 0.70*X=449. Divide 449 by 0.70 to get the total capacity limit of 641.43 or 642. Apply the same logic to their current ICU usage of 226 to get their total ICU capacity. Hint, it's 323. Your sweet math problem shows what percentage of their beds are ICU beds. That's not what we were talking about.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Jesus dude, this isn't hard. There are currently 449 cases in that hospital system with 226 of those shown as being in the ICU. They are reporting that they are currently 70% full. In other words, 70% of their total capacity is 449. In math, that is 0.70*X=449. Divide 449 by 0.70 to get the total capacity limit of 641.43 or 642. Apply the same logic to their current ICU usage of 226 to get their total ICU capacity. Hint, it's 323. Your sweet math problem shows what percentage of their beds are ICU beds. That's not what we were talking about.
So I asked my Finance Major college junior and she said couldn’t figure out the numbers either. Those numbers are thrown around and confuse the “word” problem. I’ll take my C in reading comprehension. But I find nothing in you statement to validate any math. (It’s all inferred: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/inferred). Btw my soon to be Junior in high school couldn’t follow the math either.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
The gloves are to protect the person wearing them, not others.

But I’m with you.
Doesn't work like that when you're using your cellphone with gloves, or digging around your purse with said gloves on. I was shaking my head watching a lady do just that at BJ's the other day. You touch the shopping cart, the freezer door handle then grab your phone or rummage around your purse, all those germs are now all over your crap. I'm a fan of just cleaning my hands when i get to the car (with sanitizer)

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Latest JH stats for the U.S. are:
1.2m cases
69k deaths
187k recovered

From CDC website. Why the disparity in reported deaths? Not calling you out @Jim123 more of a general question for what is shown on the news and what is on the CDC website.