• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
In the realm of people being good to each other...our school district has been having meal sites for kids who depend on school meals but they were closed today due to some nasty weather. So the county Chick-fil-As all offered free meals for kids today. Pretty solid of them.
They're still not open on Sunday, f**kers.

SlickAg

pilot
Ultimately, there are 2 ways out of this. Herd immunity or contact tracing.

To establish herd immunity, the easiest/best is a vaccine, but that will take at least a year to develop. The other way to get herd immunity is to just let the virus spread. I heard something like 50% of a population would need to get it. That would be something like a million dead Americans, assuming the health care system is able to keep up. It would be much higher if we demand more healthcare than we are able to deliver.

The other option is extensive testing and contract tracing. This presents extensive civil liberties issues though. Authoritarian regimes, like China, don't have to worry about this drawback though. They have instituted a bar code system to prove you have a low risk of having the virus. Apple and Google are working together to develop a system to uses Bluetooth to see you have come near and then inform those people if you test positive. The podcast I mentioned earlier brought up an interesting point that I hadn't noticed before. The US would be in an easier position to implement a solution to this than Europe. Even though we have greater constitutional protections, we have already given much of that data (and the permission to use that data in some ways) to companies. Europe has the GDPR which limits how companies use data.

We will need to give up some civil liberties to get the country and economy back working again. We just need to make sure we get them back when this whole thing is over.

How to balance the economy versus public health is a valid point place to argue. But a great economy is not the desired end state. An emotionally-fulfilling, free, (etc.) life with the people you want to be with is the desired endstate. A good economy is one of the methods to get there, but so is health.

I just wish the President cared more about that than appearing in front of cameras (and pushing some drug).
I started typing out a post talking about the math in your post, but decided it would get into a pissing match about the correct fatality rate. Which will end up taking years before there’s a conclusive study, and even then there will be detractors.

We don’t need a great economy. We need a functioning one that doesn’t require federal intervention in the markets to keep our economy from falling off a cliff. That isn’t going to be possible anymore if we don’t get things going again. If 32% of the work force is working, and thus contributing their taxes to Medicare/aid and unemployment, who’s going to fund these things that 1/3 of Americans may end up needing?

Lastly, Governor Cuomo has been holding a press conference every single day as well. Does he only care about appearing in front of the cameras? Note the media in the room, how calm and polite they are. Now go watch Jim Acosta during one of the WH briefings. Note the difference. I know your (and others’) response would be well he only brings it on himself and I agree to an extent, but when a dog is backed into a corner you’re stupid (or naive - shoutout to Mr. Modly) to think he won’t bite.

Oh and it turns out the drug he was pushing ended up working out pretty well...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't always be right. :<)

Good to know, I haven't been following.
Not a lawyer, just an interested amateur, so I reserve the right to dork up the details. But apparently PA has a weird leftover from pre-US British law where its Supreme Court can yoink jurisdiction from a lower court and hear a case directly in the interests of expediency.

Someone petitioned for this “King’s Bench” jurisdiction and basically got told “No, we’re not hearing that petition; you can bring suit just like everyone else.” No stay was issued, so the order went into effect, but there’s been no court ruling to find it constitutional or not.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I started typing out a post talking about the math in your post, but decided it would get into a pissing match about the correct fatality rate. Which will end up taking years before there’s a conclusive study, and even then there will be detractors.

We don’t need a great economy. We need a functioning one that doesn’t require federal intervention in the markets to keep our economy from falling off a cliff. That isn’t going to be possible anymore if we don’t get things going again. If 32% of the work force is working, and thus contributing their taxes to Medicare/aid and unemployment, who’s going to fund these things that 1/3 of Americans may end up needing?

Lastly, Governor Cuomo has been holding a press conference every single day as well. Does he only care about appearing in front of the cameras? Note the media in the room, how calm and polite they are. Now go watch Jim Acosta during one of the WH briefings. Note the difference. I know your (and others’) response would be well he only brings it on himself and I agree to an extent, but when a dog is backed into a corner you’re stupid (or naive - shoutout to Mr. Modly) to think he won’t bite.

I have no vested interest in this virus. I would love to hear some information that you have about the transmissiblity or legality of the virus. I only hope that both of them are less. If you have some information about that. I would love to hear it. I will apply my judgement to it, but I hope it is less.

I heard that Gov Cuomo has been doing daily brefings, but haven't seen any of them so I can't comment. I did hear that the governors brother got sick and was on though.

I don't care about how Jim Acosta has been acting. He is not in power.

I care about what the president is doing though. I would love for him to be understanding issues and making decisions balancing how to cope with the public health crisis while maintaining the economy. He doesn't seem to be capable of that though. I will say it again. He only cares about himself.

Has the drug worked out pretty well? Again, I would love to hear good news about it. I haven't heard any.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

I hadn't seen any reports of the efficacy of the drugs he's pushing. Do you have a good source on that one? I saw today that Brazil shut down their trials after many died from heart issues.

I wonder if Acting DNI Grenell (who has zero background in the Intel community), would agree with this POTUS statement at today's shitshow 'press conference':

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Not a lawyer, just an interested amateur, so I reserve the right to dork up the details. But apparently PA has a weird leftover from pre-US British law where its Supreme Court can yoink jurisdiction from a lower court and hear a case directly in the interests of expediency.

Someone petitioned for this “King’s Bench” jurisdiction and basically got told “No, we’re not hearing that petition; you can bring suit just like everyone else.” No stay was issued, so the order went into effect, but there’s been no court ruling to find it constitutional or not.

TIL

Twice in one day, this must be a record.

In all seriousness though, that's interesting.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Asked by a journalist about the level of testing for the coronavirus across the US, the president answered: “This is a very brilliant enemy. You know, it’s a brilliant enemy. They develop drugs like the antibiotics. You see it. Antibiotics used to solve every problem. Now one of the biggest problems the world has is the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can’t keep up with it.

And they're constantly trying to come up with a new – people go to a hospital and they catch – they go for a heart operation – that's no problem, but they end up dying from – from problems. You know the problems I'm talking about. There's a whole genius to it."
Only second to his 'only Rosie O'Donnell' retort, which I'm convinced won him the Presidency.*

*Seriously, does anyone like Rosie O'Donnell?

exNavyOffRec

And some risks too. C'mon, let's leave medicine to the professionals.

To be fair what medicine doesn't have side affects for some people? If they didn't we wouldn't see those TV commercials that go "if you took XXX you may have a case".

I have unfortunately been one of those people that has been prescribed a medication and ended up with what seemed like every side effect that was listed. I would also recommend not starting a new medication before taking a trip.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Have him show the cop this picture instead. Richard Grenell is the acting DNI; guess we know how he feels about all this.

View attachment 25122
I hope you understand that attaching a picture to some text does not make the text any more true. I'm no constitutional lawyer, but what I understand is that quarantines are generally constitutional. With all the legal reasons to travel right now though, pulling you over without any other pretext is unconstitutional.

I love the fact that he can;;t even be bothered to find a clean picture of the constitution and includes a watermark on this.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair what medicine doesn't have side affects for some people? If they didn't we wouldn't see those TV commercials that go "if you took XXX you may have a case".

With possibly fatal consequences, worrying enough to halt a study?

Frankly it would be great if a drug was found to help folks out, I'm all for it. But effective medical trials take time, so let the medical professionals do their work and figure it out before we tout some miracle drug that may or may not work.

exNavyOffRec

With possibly fatal consequences, worrying enough to halt a study?

Frankly it would be great if a drug was found to help folks out, I'm all for it. But effective medical trials take time, so let the medical professionals do their work and figure it out before we tout some miracle drug that may or may not work.

In some cases there may be a need for people to take that risk, choosing the lesser of two evils so to speak, for a study there isn't a need for that risk.

I don't think there will be a miracle drug for this for a while, it seems as if there are a variety of ones that are having some type of positive effect, one of those helped my friends sister go from not doing well at all to now recovering at home.

SlickAg

pilot
And some risks too. C'mon, let's leave medicine to the professionals.
Did you read that article? They pulled people off of the high dose group in a double blind study.

Here’s another article. Do you think the President wasn’t briefed on this before he talked about it??

SlickAg

pilot
I hope you understand that attaching a picture to some text does not make the text any more true. I'm no constitutional lawyer, but what I understand is that quarantines are generally constitutional. With all the legal reasons to travel right now though, pulling you over without any other pretext is unconstitutional.

I love the fact that he can;;t even be bothered to find a clean picture of the constitution and includes a watermark on this.
I hope you understand it’s Twitter bro. And a forum of dudes arguing. Posting a screenshot doesn’t mean I think it’s a peer reviewed law journal article.