• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

exNavyOffRec

I didn't ask the types of positions I would believe one that would have a person dealing with PII would have strict guidelines vice a person doing marketing ads.

I don't see a company asking about internet service too invasive, especially if like several will do they will pay a stipend to upgrade.

I would want to work for who pays the most LOL, but seriously if I am recruiting for a company that has all those requirements it is going to be a pain in the ass, now if a company has some of those requirements and I can talk to the candidate and explain intelligently why he needs to lock up his computer since he has thousands of peoples personal health info on it, I am good with that. Trying to explain to a person doing marketing, the same requirement, not so much.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'm thankful I haven't had to deal with any of that bullshit. I mean, maybe if you're in legal or HR, there may be some law that your machine has to have restricted access, but that's pushing it. There are plenty of full-remote companies out there. GitLab comes to mind because they publish their company handbook for anyone to use.

Also, Comcast has since June offered businesses the opportunity to extend their paid dedicated business connections to their at-home workers. So it becomes a question of a company demanding to see my Internet bill, versus a company that is neutral and just says "get it done," to a company who would actively pay me to work remotely. Who would you want to be a recruiter for?
Sorry to derail the thread derail but did you miss my earlier post? Specifically what rules were broken by the posts (presumably) you removed?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry to derail the thread derail but did you miss my earlier post? Specifically what rules were broken by the posts (presumably) you removed?

I believe it was due to a personal attack/name-calling. This is not the Thunderdome.

But let's get down to brass tacks....WHO THE FUCK CARES? I'm sure you are the first to admit that your self-worth isn't wrapped up in those posts. So move on.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I believe it was due to a personal attack/name-calling. This is not the Thunderdome.

But let's get down to brass tacks....WHO THE FUCK CARES? I'm sure you are the first to admit that your self-worth isn't wrapped up in those posts. So move on.
I’d rather have some transparency. So I care, and I’d guess there are others who care about mods inserting themselves to situations and deleting posts they don’t like.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You got your answer. Move on. And in the name of transparency, further posts about it will be deleted.

snake020

Contributor
I'm thankful I haven't had to deal with any of that bullshit. I mean, maybe if you're in legal or HR, there may be some law that your machine has to have restricted access, but that's pushing it. There are plenty of full-remote companies out there. GitLab comes to mind because they publish their company handbook for anyone to use.

Also, Comcast has since June offered businesses the opportunity to extend their paid dedicated business connections to their at-home workers. So it becomes a question of a company demanding to see my Internet bill, versus a company that is neutral and just says "get it done," to a company who would actively pay me to work remotely. Who would you want to be a recruiter for?

As nannyish as Navy often is, even we don't demand photos and internet bills for telework agreements. Don't blindly accept private sector ?.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@exNavyOffRec Companies that require outlandish proof of telework with lose good employees and job applicants once people hear of their nonsense. There are plenty of rival employers who will gladly take the talent from them, and just trust people have the ability to do their jobs (and care more about the work output quality/quantity than whether their laptop has an ethernet cord or not).

To me, that’s a sign the company sees its employees as replaceable. Companies in industries where the unemployment rate is still very low (e.g. IT SMEs with TS/SCI) don’t play those games because it’s harder to replace employees.

* Side note, I don’t even know what “problem” that ethernet cord photo solves - you can have secure comms over WiFi, and you can be compromised over an ethernet cord by your SOHO router/modem or your device itself. That is probably a sign your company’s IT dept doesn’t understand certain IT concepts.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec Companies that require outlandish proof of telework with lose good employees and job applicants once people hear of their nonsense. There are plenty of rival employers who will gladly take the talent from them, and just trust people have the ability to do their jobs (and care more about the work output quality/quantity than whether their laptop has an ethernet cord or not).

To me, that’s a sign the company sees its employees as replaceable. Companies in industries where the unemployment rate is still very low (e.g. IT SMEs with TS/SCI) don’t play those games because it’s harder to replace employees.

* Side note, I don’t even know what “problem” that ethernet cord photo solves - you can have secure comms over WiFi, and you can be compromised over an ethernet cord by your SOHO router/modem or your device itself. That is probably a sign your company’s IT dept doesn’t understand certain IT concepts.
There are companies that can be difficult to work with or have unusual requirements, one way to enforce those requirements is to pay more money some companies work their employees really hard but pay well such as one PRIME company........... :D people will put up with a lot if paid well until priorities in their life change.

I don't understand the ethernet part either, neither did the recruiter for that company.

One thing we have been reminded of recently is that employees are replaceable, we are all just a number and that number can be replaced.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
One thing we have been reminded of recently is that employees are replaceable, we are all just a number and that number can be replaced.
In my industry, if a position sits vacant for a month, we lose at least $20k in profit - for a journeyman level, not even senior level. Positions that become vacant usually take ~3 months to fill with the right candidate. The right candidates are rare and hard to convince to join you because they have TS/SCI, several IT/cloud certifications, and incredible skills - they are already highly employed or employable, and they have other job offers. They come to us because they can make the same money and leave behind the B.S. silly games of their old job.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are companies that can be difficult to work with or have unusual requirements, one way to enforce those requirements is to pay more money some companies work their employees really hard but pay well such as one PRIME company........... :D people will put up with a lot if paid well until priorities in their life change.
And that particular company has an average tenure of 2 years before people pull the proverbial ejection handle, yet those sweet, sweet stock options take 4 years to vest . . .

exNavyOffRec

And that particular company has an average tenure of 2 years before people pull the proverbial ejection handle, yet those sweet, sweet stock options take 4 years to vest . . .

That is true, wasn't sure if it was 3 or 4 years needed for vesting, of course knowing what I know I could work their for 2 years then afford to take the next 18 months off.

I know a few that left right after vesting, one walked in and gave his 2 weeks notice the day after he was vested.

PMPT

While a contributing factor, I think if that were the main reason the order would’ve come out sooner than two and a half months after that all went down.

it certainly does seem related, though, doesn’t it? Massive public affairs debacle results in (in the public’s eyes, at the least) humiliation of top-level leadership’s judgment. Shortly thereafter as cases begin to climb once again following the reopening post soft-closing of some states, Navy goes all in and basically prohibits you from living a normal human existence, if you were to literally follow the black letter law of the FRAGORD. All while the rules don’t apply to family members, DOD civilians, civilian contractors, and we continue to brief in close proximity using the same computer and keyboards that are never sanitized ...

The people this hurts the most are the junior folks, who tend to be single and far from home, thus are denied the reasonable opportunity to take a meaningfully useful vacation through accumulated leave or to visit family members or romantic interests elsewhere. I’d like to think it can’t go on indefinitely but nobody seems to care.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
it certainly does seem related, though, doesn’t it? Massive public affairs debacle results in (in the public’s eyes, at the least) humiliation of top-level leadership’s judgment. Shortly thereafter as cases begin to climb once again following the reopening post soft-closing of some states, Navy goes all in and basically prohibits you from living a normal human existence, if you were to literally follow the black letter law of the FRAGORD. All while the rules don’t apply to family members, DOD civilians, civilian contractors, and we continue to brief in close proximity using the same computer and keyboards that are never sanitized ...

The people this hurts the most are the junior folks, who tend to be single and far from home, thus are denied the reasonable opportunity to take a meaningfully useful vacation through accumulated leave or to visit family members or romantic interests elsewhere. I’d like to think it can’t go on indefinitely but nobody seems to care.
Eh, people care. And they can see BS when it is. They very quietly walked back the no church part of the FRAGORD after threat of lawsuit, and apparently now other parts are delegated. Such as whether you can go to the beach; apparently it's allowed now, depending on your Commodore? It's all BS though. And people can both see it, and care.