• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a sister in law who is very health conscious, eats carefully, and has trained for and participated in 10ks, half and even full marathons and has been way over weight her entire adult life. Her brother on the other hand is an ultra marathoner with probably 2% body fat and her kids are all thin, distance runners and adult athletes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Being a bit overweight might be an issue of poor choices, but being obese is hardly a matter of choice, it is genetic, biological, and environmental.
First, the threshold for obese is less than you probably think it is.

Second, of the over 132,000,000 obese Americans, there are fewer than 1,000,000 that actually have a legitimate health condition that makes them that way. Everyone else is simply inflicted with some combination of gluttony and sloth.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Second, of the over 132,000,000 obese Americans, there are fewer than 1,000,000 that actually have a legitimate health condition that makes them that way. Everyone else is simply inflicted with some combination of gluttony and sloth.
Let me just say I doubt your numbers.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ok boomer
Zzzzzzzz...8 out of 9 American’s say despising fat people is the last form of acceptable bigotry (I do hope you see the intended pun in there). Next you’ll tell me that gay people can be “fixed” with a little discipline.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of 268,000,000 Americans who are not obese, 168,000,000 of them can eat whatever they want, live a slothful lifestyle and never gain weight. Genetics.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

There is no condition that makes someone generate calories out of thin air. Every person that is fat is fat because of the food they put into their face.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot

Eating healthy is expensive, challenging, and time consuming.

Exercise is time consuming and an extremely challenging way to combat obesity.

A lot of people have real reasons they don’t eat healthy or exercise that have nothing to do with gluttony or sloth, and shaming them for it does nothing to help the systemic problem.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Eating healthy is expensive, challenging, and time consuming.

Exercise is time consuming and an extremely challenging way to combat obesity.

A lot of people have real reasons they don’t eat healthy or exercise that have nothing to do with gluttony or sloth, and shaming them for it does nothing to help the systemic problem.
Exercise is largely irrelevant if you eat too much. “Reasons” are excuses and it’s bullshit. People are fat because of gluttony and sloth. More shaming is necessary, not less.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Every WalMart I've been in makes you walk past the produce section (which isn't overly expensive... it's WalMart) to get to the processed junk food aisle. Just sayin'!

I do think the environmental influence means a lot. If your parents, your neighbors, role models, people on TV, whatever, all look and eat a certain way, then you end up not knowing any better. It's one of those weird human behavior things... you may very well live your whole life in a land of opportunity but if you've only ever lived in a neighborhood, where people simply don't take advantage* of those opportunities, then with no clear example for you to imitate it's actually pretty hard for an individual to break out of the mold.

That's not sympathy, charity, pandering, enabling, blaming, or anything else. It's just one of those traits of human behavior.

Back to what "food" a lot of people buy at the grocery store, this is kind of a chicken and an egg thing. As more and more people have chosen to buy shitty, cheap, food that makes them fat, our food industry has adapted to provide more and more shitty, cheap, fattening food. Healthy food hasn't gone anywhere though and it's not as expensive as people seem to think- especially when you don't blow half of your food budget on diet coke by the case, gatorade, alcohol, "contains some fruit juices," and other (wait for it) shit.

* can't/won't/don't/know better/don't know better is beside the point