• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cost for getting ME rating or CFI/II rating in JAX with GI Bill

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
The ME rating isn't to expensive because all you have to do is fly to profiency, no time requirements need to be met for the FAA. If you find an instructor who knows whats up and moves you along, you can probably do it in under 10 hours. Same thing for the CFI, just expect to do at least a month to 2 months of hardcore studying. They just want to know that you know what your talking about and you can land a plane from the right seat. The CFII is even less flying time. As long as you are able to talk someone through approaches, holds, arcs, etc. you are good to go.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I land from the right seat already. Helo pilot sits on the right, copilot on the left.

Transitioning from the left to the right is really the only stumbling point when going for the CFI, that and being able to talk about every detail for every maneuver until your blue in the face.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Transitioning from the left to the right is really the only stumbling point when going for the CFI, that and being able to talk about every detail for every maneuver until your[sic] blue in the face.
Sounds like flight school.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
HAL Pilot is on the money with his gouge... Cept I might add-- It's all about Networking, PIC and Total Time... More of all 3 helps the cause! :icon_grin Quals, MBA, Type Rating, etc.. Great tie breakers and fallbacks... Also currency goes a looong way.. Lastly there are lots and lots of corporate gigs out there that pay some fat cash so don't just think it is the Majors or bust..:D

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
You guys keep talking about buying a type rating... I thought it was frowned upon in the airline community to pay for your ratings? Can someone clarify this? Aren't guys who do that shuned because they are the pay for training a-holes who are bringing the industry down?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Is ME time as big of a deal as this thread makes it sound? I know a lot of Harrier guys who ended up with the airlines (some who ar no longer, but I digress) and I don't think they had much ME time. Some had just the 10 hours or so that they got as part of their ATP workup/check.

I've thought about C-12s as a farewell tour (if other things don't work out) and I know it helps to have ME time, but is it a pre-req for a 737 type rating? How worried should I be about this? I still have time to rent ME time ($$$$), but I'd rather not spend myself silly over something unessecary.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys keep talking about buying a type rating... I thought it was frowned upon in the airline community to pay for your ratings? Can someone clarify this? Aren't guys who do that shuned because they are the pay for training a-holes who are bringing the industry down?
Nope: I think you're confused. Completely different animal than what I "think" you are considering ..... :eek: :confused:

"Buying a type rating" is generally seen as a "qualification in a particular TYPE of aircraft" ... not an extensive (?) syllabus of generic or specific training to reach a certain level or qualification. You can "buy a type" with very, very few hours IN the type aircraft.

Some airlines -- SWA for example -- have historically required a 737 type as a qualification for hiring --- saved them $$$$. Other airlines looked at it as a "weight factor" when evaluating a potential new-hire. And if I'm not mistaken --- what you are talking about is guys getting hired, trained by an "airline", and then having to serve a certain amount of payback time and/or reimburse their "airline" for the training received.

Yes?? No ??? :)

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Nope: I think you're confused. Completely different animal than what I "think" you are considering ..... :eek: :confused:

"Buying a type rating" is generally seen as a "qualification in a particular TYPE of aircraft" ... not an extensive (?) syllabus of generic or specific training to reach a certain level or qualification. You can "buy a type" with very, very few hours IN the type aircraft.

Some airlines -- SWA for example -- have historically required a 737 type as a qualification for hiring --- saved them $$$$. Other airlines looked at it as a "weight factor" when evaluating a potential new-hire. And if I'm not mistaken --- what you are talking about is guys getting hired, trained by an "airline", and then having to serve a certain amount of payback time and/or reimburse their "airline" for the training received.

Yes?? No ??? :)

Well...I can't say I'm too sure. On forums like airline pilot central they frequently refer to buying type ratings as being a major no no. For example, if you look in the back of any flying magazine they'll have advertisements for all kinds of type ratings in various turbine aircraft. Apparently some of the places you would do this have you essentially pay to work for them. Like if you were enrolled in Delta Connection Academy(just an example) and you ended up buying a type rating in a CRJ or ERJ.

I don't think it has anything to do with the initial period after you get hired by an airline, but now I'm not so sure. Somthing about paying to upgrade on equipment and seats was also mentioned but I think that is a whole other topic.

Thanks for your help

BTW what airline do you fly for?

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking of buying jet time?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Harrier... ME time not a big deal... When you get your ATP it will be in a Multi-Eng plane... Which will give you MEL rating... For instance, I did mine same day with a harrier bud (I already had MEL on my commercial) and all he had to do was an extra maneuver (Vmc demo or something like that) for the examiner.. :) Note: ME time looks good on a resume but so does CRM, NATOPS, IP, etc...

MasterBates

So can anyone give me a ballpark on what this will cost with the GI bill?

I wanted to call CRG today, but I was busy between FCF and keeping an angry Penguin at bay.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There's some really, really good general info posted herein, i.e., HAL Pilot for one ...

And then there's a lot of speculation and ... "what I think" ...

I did hiring :) -- and firing :eek: -- for two Majors ... and can state with absolute certainty:
you don't need an MEL,
an ATP,
a type rating,
a Master's degree,
or a zillion hours.

But if you want to be competitive and be a "player" in the hiring wars .... go do it anyway!!!

REALITY: You just need to be in the right place at the right time with the same (or better:) ) qualifications as everyone else who is your competition. And THAT changes ... as does the current reality (realities) of the airline industry.

"Be there" at the right time .... and have as many quals as you can/can afford ... and you get hired.

That is, of course, unless you can't talk very well in the interview ... :icon_wink

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think you are thinking of "PFT" or Pay For Training. This is where someone says they will hire to fly if you pay for your own training in the aircraft. They are typically entry level jobs that might pay $30-$35k/year but cost $15k for the training/type rating making your income in reality $15-$20k for the year.

Now most PFT places are corporate. There getting a type rating or training from places like Flight Safety or Simuflight takes the place of having their own training program. Your paying for your own training makes it free for them. Plus, most require a "refresher" course (that you have to pay for) at one of these places if you already have the type rating. This is usually insurance driven.

A big difference between buying a type rating and PFT is that a type rating is exportable. It is good forever at any employer. Airline training programs are not. Each airline is required to put you through their program even if you have a type. So if you PFT at one airline and quit, you just wasted that money forever.

Many corporate and FAR 135 operators will offer PFT jobs to low time guys who do not have enough hours to get a type rating (using just simulators). Flight Safety, Simuflight, etc offer "SIC" courses for these guys the corporate operator will make the PFT pilot pay. In this case, the training is again non-transferable.

Major airlines never required any type of PFT and most regional airlines have quit the practice. I can only think of one (Gulfstream) that still does it. There, it isn't really even PFT but worst. You buying the training and a block of flight time. After you've flown your hours, you may or may not be offered the chance to stay on. It all depends on how many more guys are waiting with their checkbooks out. If there aren't enough to run the business - you get hired permanently. If there are, you are on the street.

Southwest is the only major airline that requires you to already have the a type rating before you are hired. They don't care where you get the type - from a former employer, the military or by paying for it yourself. There are many who do equate SWA to PFT but there is a difference. After you are hired at SWA, you go through the whole training process and they pay for it along with paying you as an employee. You're already having the type does not lessen their cost of training you and putting you on line. At SWA, the type is just a prerequisite for the job, just like a minimum number of flight hours.

No one really cares if you buy a type rating in an attempt to make yourself more attractive to potential employers. But in most cases, a type rating without time in the aircraft is useless. The big exception is SWA with the 737 type. That is why it is the most popular type to buy. Further, for many military it is a break even or little additional cost ticket. To go get their multi ATP at some place costs about $3000 and usually is not GI Bill eligible. To get a 737 type & ATP at somewhere like Higher Power Aviation cost about $7000 and 60% or $4200 of that is covered by the GI Bill. Plus it gives them an introduction civilian flying and transport category aircraft.

What also chaps the a$s of many airline guys are places that advertise a "quick entry" into the airlines for $50k or more. These places sell gullible pilots on getting their ratings there and include "extras" like RJ simulator time or "airline training taught by airline pilots" with the guarantee of an interview at XYZ airlines if you successfully complete every wicket. However there is no guarantee of a job and successfully completing every wicket is usually next to impossible. Plus if you did get a job out of it, you will have spent the equivalent of the first 3 or 4 years pay getting it.

You have to be careful when you talk about PFT with any airline pilot. It's like abortion, religion and politics. Everyone has a different opinion and level of acceptance. The younger generation of pilot is the least accepting while many of the older and military background pilots have never heard of it. The major airlines have never had PFT but up until the mid 1990s it was common in the regional airlines. Many guys who are now career Captains at regionals or Captain at the majors PFTed to get there.

I personally am against PFT but judge each situation on its own merits. Same with type ratings. I usually do not recommend getting a type unless your job is paying for it. But if you do decide to buy one, get one that is "popular" like the B737 or CE500 (covers 8 models of Citations).

Some reasons I can think of to buy a type rating:

- A military pilot wanting an ATP. Why spend $3000 for the ATP when you can spend $3200 (with GI Bill) for the ATP, the B737 type and meet the hiring criteria for one of the best major airlines?

- Lack of currency or recency of flying. Getting a type rating shows you "still have it". (My personal example. I got hired at Hawaiian and went to the FE seat. I was furloughed, recalled and furloughed again. I hadn't flown in a pilot seat for 2 years. I used my unemployment benefits and GI Bill to 100% fund a CE500 Citation type. While I did not get a Citation job, I got a job flying a Piaggio P180 turboprop. After I was hired, they said they almost did not interview me for lack of recent pilot time but since I had just gotten a type rating figured I could still fly.)

- Targeting you resume to a particular job or job area. For example fractional flying. Almost all fractional pilots start in Citation or equivalent aircraft. A citation type rating could be a tie breaker or eye catcher. 2nd example: B737 & SWA.

- Helo pilot with low fixed wing time trying to enhance his resume. Shows he can pass a corporate or airline training program.