• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correct Method for Building an aerobic Base

navywife

Question about the heartrate. No matter what I do, my heartrate goes up insanely high, even when I'm jogging at a slow pace. To keep it in that 65-85% of max HR, I'm doing at best a 12 minute mile over the course of 3 miles. What can I do to improve this? When I run that slow I don't feel any type of work out from it physically, but when I run at a 10 min mile pace my HR is at about 200 which I know isn't good. Any tips? Thanks abunch!

thull

Question about the heartrate. No matter what I do, my heartrate goes up insanely high, even when I'm jogging at a slow pace. To keep it in that 65-85% of max HR, I'm doing at best a 12 minute mile over the course of 3 miles. What can I do to improve this? When I run that slow I don't feel any type of work out from it physically, but when I run at a 10 min mile pace my HR is at about 200 which I know isn't good. Any tips? Thanks abunch!

Hey, with some people (including myself) heart rate is not an accurate indicator of exertion. Go with how comfortable you feel and how hard you're breathing. Also if you're just getting started, your heart rate will jump right up there at a very low exertion, until you get into better shape. There is also possible error in measuring your heart rate if you're just going by touch.

I'd say go with a more intuitive approach to your effort. You know what pace you're comfortable with, what you can maintain for 3 miles and what you can maintain for only three minutes. Just go with that instead of heart rate...

snake020

Contributor
Yeah, those MDs and PhDs are all full of sh!t. :rolleyes:

These are the same guys that would declare Lance Armstrong clinically dead. They also designed the current joke of an air force fitness test where if you're 6'2" and 40 years old you're still expected to have a 32" waist.

65-85% is like Consumer Reports. Nice guideline, but you can't do one size fits all on everyone.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yeah, those MDs and PhDs are all full of sh!t. :rolleyes:

Brett

Yea, I hear ya'. I think one frequents this forum once in awhile. Some of those essobees even have the gall to work as Division I Coaches and have published more research on strength and conditioning than most worms have read...... :D

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Anybody hear about the pledge of allegiance workout? I read in mens health a while ago that if you run to the point where you can only spit out a few lines of the pledge at a time, that is the perfect speed for increasing endurance and speed.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I have a question for you Doc... When I was taking a mandatory health class (in the middle of training around 50 miles a week) I was told that my resting heart rate was WAY too low. Now I don't claim to know whether its true, but I've always been told that for a runner to have a low heart rate is a good thing? Was this a matter of one size fits all and we don't want a bunch of nasty college kids?

navywife

Thanks everyone! I don't feel like I'm dying or anything when i'm running at that, so hopefully as I get better it'll come down to a "normal" pace! I appreciate your comments

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I have a question for you Doc... When I was taking a mandatory health class (in the middle of training around 50 miles a week) I was told that my resting heart rate was WAY too low. Now I don't claim to know whether its true, but I've always been told that for a runner to have a low heart rate is a good thing? Was this a matter of one size fits all and we don't want a bunch of nasty college kids?

Who told you this....and did they know you were running 50 miles a week?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Who told you this....and did they know you were running 50 miles a week?

Well it was in my mandatory health class, and then again when I had to go get a "Health evalutation test" or something like that for the class. There was no doctor running the test, and I told them I was running that much. I didn't know whether they were just used to a cookie cutter range for students or whether there was actually something to what they said. I did extremely well on all other levels of the test.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Well, IF it really was 'way too low' then they should have notified a physician about it. My guess is that they were unfamiliar with the effects of someone who runs that much. BTW, what was your HR?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Goal number 3: Speed training, intervals, sprints, etc. to get to target time of 8:00 - 9:00 minute mile and a half.

Here's something to try when you're ready to take aim at that target time:

Let's use 9 minutes as an example. Go to a track and run 1/4 mile in 1:30 or under, then rest for 90 seconds, then run another 1/4 in 1:30 or under. Do this until you do six laps. Try this for a week or two, then decrease your rest time by 10 seconds. The idea is that you should be able to reduce the rest time until it's gone so you can run 1.5 miles continously at a 90 second 1/4 mile pace.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Here's something to try when you're ready to take aim at that target time:

Let's use 9 minutes as an example. Go to a track and run 1/4 mile in 1:30 or under, then rest for 90 seconds, then run another 1/4 in 1:30 or under. Do this until you do six laps. Try this for a week or two, then decrease your rest time by 10 seconds. The idea is that you should be able to reduce the rest time until it's gone so you can run 1.5 miles continously at a 90 second 1/4 mile pace.

I might try that, but also I've been reading about a very similar method where there may not necessarily be a set distance, but the interval is timed. So run a 9/10 effort for 30 seconds and walk/jog 180 seconds. Repeat this for 7-10 intervals. Or try a lower intensity 7-8/10 effort for 45 seconds or a minute, then walk/jog for 120 seconds and do that for 7-10 intervals.

The timing may remain the same for sprinting and resting, but you will get faster and when the resting period becomes too long, you can simply reduce it. This way, your heartrate has a consistent rhythm of rising and falling.