• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correct Method for Building an aerobic Base

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a Polar Heart Rate monitor and I have compared it to the display on the equipment (when not using the HRM). The readouts for heart rate are actually quite accurate, it is the calories burned that is wildly innacurate.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I have a Polar Heart Rate monitor and I have compared it to the display on the equipment (when not using the HRM). The readouts for heart rate are actually quite accurate, it is the calories burned that is wildly innacurate.

Interesting. Too many calories?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. Too many calories?

As an example, my time on the eliptical today was 40 minutes. My Polar HRM had me burning 634 calories, but the machine had me 714. I guess not "wildly innacurate" but not exactly close either. For someone chasing a dieting goal, that could be the subtle sabotage that prevents them from reaching their goal.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
As an example, my time on the eliptical today was 40 minutes. My Polar HRM had me burning 634 calories, but the machine had me 714. I guess not "wildly innacurate" but not exactly close either. For someone chasing a dieting goal, that could be the subtle sabotage that prevents them from reaching their goal.

I don't think you can compare machines "calories burned", whether they be the HRM, ellipticals, treadmills, etc. You don't know the assumptions they put into calculating the totals AND they have a incentive to fudge the numbers a bit.... "The ELIPTOMILL 2000X burns twice as many calories in half the time!!!!"

BackOrdered

Contributor
Originally Posted by joboy_2.0
I might try that, but also I've been reading about a very similar method where there may not necessarily be a set distance, but the interval is timed. So run a 9/10 effort for 30 seconds and walk/jog 180 seconds. Repeat this for 7-10 intervals. Or try a lower intensity 7-8/10 effort for 45 seconds or a minute, then walk/jog for 120 seconds and do that for 7-10 intervals.

Where did you find this workout? and are you talking 9/10 of an all out balls to the wall sprint as if your life depended on it? I don't know what your training for, but I can't see how this would help you.

Just my two cents in this thread resurrection.

The exercise he was referring to is sometimes nicknamed an "Indian run" and I can testify that it works and it has been passed around the usnavyocs.com board for sometime. Using it, I (as everything doesn't work for everyone) was able to do a 9:50 from an 11 something on the run without doing anymore than 2.5 miles per PT session. It just combines doing a sprint work out during your run rather than after. Adding a sprint session afterwards for good measure, I really saw a difference quick. The only thing is you have to practice slowing down to your normal 1.5 run pace after a sprint and don't just "not walk". Also, overtime, you should increase the number of sprints you do during the run. With practice, I've found that on the PFT, I could get a second wind much sooner since I'm use to sprinting full speed in the begining, middle, and end of a PT run even when I'm tired.

Tactical387

Like alot of these guys are saying, the most important thing is to push yourself but not to injury. Start out slow, otherwise you'll hate getting out and running. Don't kill yourself at first, but progress steadily. It's alot like lifting weights in that you have to build yourself up. Heres a workout that I like alot and it works.

Also, this is getting really intense but you may want to consider changing your diet. Eat healthy and eat often, and your body wont store fat, which will slow you down. I am 5' 11" , 170 pounds with something like 4 percent body fat, and i eat every 2-3 hours. just somethin to think about.

Attachments

• theultimate5k.pdf
    94.2 KB · Views: 28

MasterBates

While I applaud your being in shape, the fact is that a lot of times this profession does not allow your strict regimented diet.

I have flown with running nuts like that on cruise, and on the end of a double/triple bag they are HURTING if they were too busy to eat.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just my two cents in this thread resurrection.

The exercise he was referring to is sometimes nicknamed an "Indian run" and I can testify that it works and it has been passed around the usnavyocs.com board for sometime. Using it, I (as everything doesn't work for everyone) was able to do a 9:50 from an 11 something on the run without doing anymore than 2.5 miles per PT session. It just combines doing a sprint work out during your run rather than after. Adding a sprint session afterwards for good measure, I really saw a difference quick. The only thing is you have to practice slowing down to your normal 1.5 run pace after a sprint and don't just "not walk". Also, overtime, you should increase the number of sprints you do during the run. With practice, I've found that on the PFT, I could get a second wind much sooner since I'm use to sprinting full speed in the begining, middle, and end of a PT run even when I'm tired.
I agree there. We used to use "Indian Runs" when I played HS Lax. You line up, run around the field. Back person in the line sprints to the front. Repeat until the coach tells you to stop.

Doing it alone, you could go to a football field and do the following: Start at the end zone, jog up to the 50 yard line and over to the center of the field, then sprint to the end zone. Jog back over to the sideline and repeat.
As you get better, you can increase the yardage.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I agree there. We used to use "Indian Runs" when I played HS Lax. You line up, run around the field. Back person in the line sprints to the front. Repeat until the coach tells you to stop.

Doing it alone, you could go to a football field and do the following: Start at the end zone, jog up to the 50 yard line and over to the center of the field, then sprint to the end zone. Jog back over to the sideline and repeat.
As you get better, you can increase the yardage.
Or you could do it on the track, sprinting the straightaways and jogging turns...

BackOrdered

Contributor
I do it in the neighborhood myself. Sprint a block, jog a block 3 times around the neighborhood.