• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correct Method for Building an aerobic Base

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I know this has been discussed before, and I've looked at various sites such as Runner's world etc, but I still have a few questions about the proper way to go about improving my run time.

When I took the PFA, my run time sucked because I let myself get too far out of shape to really sustain a decent pace (even for only 6 laps). So I poked around a bit and figured that the most likely cause was that I didn't have a good aerobic base. So, I figured I'd set a few goals for myself, but had a few questions.

Goal number 1: 30 minutes sustained running. This is my major question. If I run slow enough, I can run for 30 minutes no problem. Should my goal be to run for 30 minutes at about 2 minutes off the mile pace I am shooting for, or just to run for 30 minutes at any lazy pace that suits me (as long as I'm not walking)?

Goal number 2: over several weeks build up a base of about 20 miles per week. Again, the pace issue comes up. Does it matter if it takes me 50 minutes to run 5 miles, or should I aim for a time more around 30 - 35 minutes?

Goal number 3: Speed training, intervals, sprints, etc. to get to target time of 8:00 - 9:00 minute mile and a half.

I'm trying to get all of this done in somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks, which I think is reasonable. Any way, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

tiger84

LT
pilot
I started out last summer completely out of shape and had to build up to where I am now. The most important part is to not overtrain and hurt yourself. I slowly built up to where I'm running about 25 miles a week at a somewhat slow (8:00 mile) pace, but still fast enough where I can tell I'm working. Most days I try to run 4-5 miles in 30-40 minutes and then I mix in sprints/intervals. I went from weighing 235 and running about a 16 minute mile and a half to weighing 190 and running an 8:57 in about 20 weeks. My best advice is to just get out there and bust your ass. Running slow won't help your times, but just be careful to not hurt yourself.

Rasczak

Marine
1) Your goal should be to run 2 minutes off pace, but build up to it slowly. You don't want to take the risk of hurting yourself too bad
2)While your first starting off running long distance, don't stress too much on the time. For 20 miles, I broke it up over the week. 3 miles a day m-f. rest saturday, and then sunday do an easy 5-6 mile run. For me atleast, this way, the 3 mile runs I tend to push myself a little harder and focus a little more on speed. On the 5-6 mile, i take it easy.
3) Speed training is a really good thing to mix in with your regular running. If you do that. Warm up with a 2 mile jog, then go do the speed training. One thing not to forget is to do some strength training as well. Squats, lunges, and other such exercises will help to build up the strength and endurance of the muscles in your legs. It really helps.

Rasczak

Marine
I went from weighing 235 and running about a 16 minute mile and a half to weighing 190 and running an 8:57 in about 20 weeks.
Man what have you been doing for the weight? I've been stuck at about 204 for a couple of months now. I watch what I eat and I exercise a hell of a lot. It just doesn't seem to want to change though.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Man what have you been doing for the weight? I've been stuck at about 204 for a couple of months now. I watch what I eat and I exercise a hell of a lot. It just doesn't seem to want to change though.

I cut calories way back although I'm not starving myself, kept lifting really heavy and started running 20+ miles a week. The running's been a huge help, although I've struggled to get much below 185. I've got 4 more weeks to get down to my pre-OCS goal of 180.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Goal number 1: 30 minutes sustained running. This is my major question. If I run slow enough, I can run for 30 minutes no problem. Should my goal be to run for 30 minutes at about 2 minutes off the mile pace I am shooting for, or just to run for 30 minutes at any lazy pace that suits me (as long as I'm not walking)?

Goal number 2: over several weeks build up a base of about 20 miles per week. Again, the pace issue comes up. Does it matter if it takes me 50 minutes to run 5 miles, or should I aim for a time more around 30 - 35 minutes?

Goal number 3: Speed training, intervals, sprints, etc. to get to target time of 8:00 - 9:00 minute mile and a half.

I'm trying to get all of this done in somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks, which I think is reasonable. Any way, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

A way to build up your aerobic base (which is actually a demand placed on your ability to process O2) is to force it to use more and more O2. A good way to judge that, without being hooked up to a machine is to use your age predicted max HR. 220 - your age = a number.

Multiply that number by .65 (to obtain the lower limit) and by .85 (to obtain the higher limit). When you are running as long as your hear rate is within those limits, your aerobic base will improve. The reason your heart rate is critical is because as your body demands more O2, your heart will increase pumping action to supply more oxygenated blood to the system. For the same reason, when you get hypoxic, your heart rate will increase. Anyway,as long as you run and keep your HR within that range for 20-30 minutes, all is good.

Don't neglect intevals and don't forget about strength training.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot

Try the buddhist diet. You can only eat solid foods until noon, and then you can only have liquids the rest of the day. Things you can drink would be protein shakes, yogurt, water (obviously), oatmeal, ect. No beer; and try to stay away from a lot of juice. It's not easy to do, but you'll drop weight like crazy. I've done it myself, and was amazed how quickly I leaned up.

A good protein for shakes is isopure. Out of the many I've tried, it dissolves and tastes the best by far.

thull

The only way to build your aerobic base is with miles, miles, miles. And they should not be "junk" miles, ie "not walking". Not hard, but a comfortable, good pace. You'll need more than 20 miles per week. you'll need at least 30-40. Not sure how out of shape you are, but get good shoes with good cushioning no matter what.

Part of your base building should be one long run per week, ie 6+ miles.

That's base building. keep it up for 5 weeks. you should start to feel comfortable with the mileage, then start throwing in small speed workouts three times a weeks (ie mon, wed, sat). keep that long run once a week going throughout your training.

hope that helps.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Second the good pair of shoes comment. I'd highly suggest going to a running store that will look at your feet and watch you run to find the shoes that will work best for your body. Last semester I had bought a very light pair of running shoes and I ended up getting shin splints. After resting for about a month I went and found because of my frame I need maximum padding (not true for everyone, but true for me) and now I'm very comfortably training for a half marathon.

Additionally, be sure you don't increase your mileage too quickly. My roommate did that last year when training for a marathon and she ended up breaking her foot.

Rasczak

Marine
Yea, good shoes are a must. Thull is right, but if your not in good-great shape, don't start off with 30-40. Just build up with increments.
week one- 15 miles
week two - 18 miles
week three - 20 miles
and so on. You never wanna increase more than 15-20% a week as it may increase the chances of injury. I can't stress the strength training enough. It helps increase the flexibility of your muscles and how much O2 your gettin in your muscles. You'd be suprised how much your speed will improve with the weight training. So don't focus totally on the aerobic. It helps, but it's not a complete workout. Comprende amigo?

I've never heard of the buddhist diet. It doesn't sound like it'd be to hard to do. Thanks CobraCommander.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon in 2001, and ultimately ran two marathons in a 30 day period, incl. the MCM just after 9/11 (that's a different story, esp. since we ran around the Pentagon on the inner road and the impact area was still smoking).

My weight loss went to all stop about 10 weeks into the training. Fortunately, a fitness guru told me that an environment where you increase the mileage every week means the body will retain some amount of fat to compensate for the expected increase in mileage, whether it happens or not. The other side of the coin is that ever-increasing mileage means the body will ask for more calories which, when teamed with the 'fat retention,' no matter how minimal, had an impact on my weight loss.

snake020

Contributor
The only way to build your aerobic base is with miles, miles, miles. And they should not be "junk" miles, ie "not walking".
hope that helps.

This reminds me of a quote from one of my better cross country coaches in college: "If you characterize these aerobic runs as 'long, slow distance runs' then you'll just become a long slow distance runner".

You want to have a good pace for your long distance runs that way your aerobic threshhold will decrease (being able to hold a faster base pace indefinitely). Don't forget to throw in some speed work too after a few weeks too; many people forget this and without it it's tough to get faster.