• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cooking decent, healthy and cheaply..

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
No one messes with me in the kitchen. I'll trump everything you throw at me and freaking iron chef you to death. Just ask the people who I made Thanksgiving dinner for last year. There was a fist fight over the leftover potatoes, and some MCMAP was employed to calm things down again. Of course, it was a house full of drunken Marines...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Amaze your friends! Clear the ready room! The Best Bean Recipe ever!

OK, this one is not for the faint of heart, but is easy to make, damn damn tasty, and makes plenty of leftovers. It's got good fiber and decent protein, too (but not exactly low fat). It was also the winning entry in the 1999 Sombrero Festival's Frijolympics in Brownsville TX, a place that knows its beans....

After you try it a few times you might want to adjust some of your favorite ingredients (I bump up the garlic, chiles, and the cilantro), but it's tough to argue with the baseline recipe.

2 pounds dried pinto beans
1.5 gallons of water
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2.5 pounds (yes, pounds) of bacon, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
8 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
1 bunch cilantro
Salt to taste

In a 10-12 qt stockpot, soak the beans in 1/2 gallon of water for 2 hours. Add another gallon of water and bring to a boil. Add the garlic and cook until the beans are tender, about 90 mins.

Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a large skillet until the fat has been rendered - the bacon should not brown. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels; set aside. Add the onions, tomatoes, chiles, and salt to the hot bacon fat in the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the onions have softened, about 8-12 mins. Add the onion mixture and the bacon to the beans and continue to cook for 30-45 minutes, but not to the point where the beans start to break apart. You may need to add additional water so that the bean mixture maintains a soupy consistency.

Add the cilantro and remove from the heat. Let the beans rest for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Y buen provecho!

Rasczak

Marine
No one messes with me in the kitchen. I'll trump everything you throw at me and freaking iron chef you to death. Just ask the people who I made Thanksgiving dinner for last year. There was a fist fight over the leftover potatoes, and some MCMAP was employed to calm things down again. Of course, it was a house full of drunken Marines...
I challenge you to a cook off...

02Navy05VT

Hypertension Anyone?
Chapter 1

Culinary deathmatch!
Must use Ingredients: Tofurkey, rocky mountain oysters, persimmon.

So, can we assume the results of this challenge will be the first entry in the AW Cookbook, under the heading "appetizers" or "potluck pleasers"????

Rasczak

Marine
rocky mountain oysters
mix with spirachi hot sauce, cabbage, white radish and spice powder and vinegar, place into large ceramic pot and place half buried in desert sands(preferably middle eastern) and let sit for 20 years.

Tofurkey
cut into small squares, about an 1"x1"x1/2" and stir fry with veggies such as, onions, cabbage, bell peppers(red and yellow), carrots, daikon, bean sprouts. Add mirin and let cook over LOW heat for about 5-10 minutes, till the veggies are at your preference(hard or soft)(I use a wok so things get cooked a bit faster), add soy sauce and chili paste. and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve!
Persimmon smoothie for desert!

Rasczak

Marine
actually, persimmon tea is really good. This chinese fellow i worked with for quite some time would make it for me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright, this thread has officially become gay. Please stick to helping out the cooking inept.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Drunk chicken is also a really good idea. Salt/pepper and garlic powder on a cleaned chicken. Shove a half empty beer up its ass (half for you, half for chicken) and stick on the barbie until cooked. Makes a damn good chicken.

Birdman

bourbon sour-
2 oz bourbon whiskey
1 oz lemon juice
1/2 tsp superfine sugar
1 slice orange
1 maraschino cherry

In a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine the bourbon, lemon juice, and sugar. Shake well. Strain into a whiskey sour glass

Rasczak

Marine
Alright, this thread has officially become gay. Please stick to helping out the cooking inept.

Brett
actually, that tofurkey thing was a semi serious recipe. Except instead of tofurky you use real tofu, usually hard tofu and it comes out pretty darned good.