• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cooking decent, healthy and cheaply..

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ramen noodles...cost a quarter a pack...can be cooked or eaten raw.

Frozen vegetables....healthy, taste good and last for ages in the freezer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm beginnng to understand why some of you are so eager to get married - it's for the food. :D

Brett

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Here's a kitchen item you might have and not even know it (almost like getting free stuff): Is there a broiler pan in a drawer under the oven? It's a two-piece item that generally comes with the range--a slotted top part that fits over a pan to catch any drips. If you have one of those, you can do plenty of good high-heat cooking. Broiling is essentially upside down-grilling you can do indoors, so you might be able to get at least some sort of barbecue flavor going even sans a massive, awesome set-up.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
AW Foodies: ... I come to you for help. ...

Faget da cookbooks, learn to cook without them. Use your native intelligence. As we speak dindin on the stove: A 3 pound chuck roast, couple cans of french onion soup. Seared meat, simmer roast in soup about 3 hours. Add one or more of the following: Potato, carrots, parsnips, turnips, cabbage, kale, spinnach, peppers and etc. When finished for about $6.00 and change you have a very nice meal and leftovers for sands and etc.

Last week it was Chili: Pound of beef and pound of pork, Bunch of chill powder, add what ever: Celery, bell pepper, couple hot peppers, onions, garlic, unsweetened cocoa, touch of cinnamon, can(s) of diced tomatoes. Beans if you are not a purist. Simmer for how ever long. Top with some cheese and green peppers. Chill for three or four days.

Nothing better than a pot of pinto beans. 75 cents for pound of dried beans, chopped onion 60 cents, ham bone free at your butcher. 20 cents for spices and etc. Nothing tastier than a bowl of the musical fruit!:eek:

The list goes on. Very healthy yet inexpensive meals. Cook for more than one meal at a time.

Stay away from the frozen section of your supermarket. EXPENSIVE and overcooked stuff masquerading as food.:eek:

HalfBreed

None
At the most basic level, I make variations of the same thing.

Buy a rice cooker and buy a bunch of rice. Everything else can be eaten with rice. Buy a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts and when you get home, freeze them individually (or in pairs depending on how much you eat). Buy a bunch of frozen veggies. All you need now are perhaps some of those premade marinades and/or spice mixes.

Defrost the chicken the day before you want to use it and then marinate it. You can even toss the marinating sauce in the bag before you freeze it. Or, you can sprinkle on one of those spice mix things. Cook the chicken anyway you desire, oven, pan, Foreman, grill (I think grilling is the best). Steam the veggies or cook it with the chicken using the same sauce. Eat with or over rice. Feel free to cut the chicken up to reduce cooking time. All of this can also be done with pasta instead of rice. Fresh veggies can always be used instead of frozen veggies (but don't alst as long which means trips to the store more often).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm getting ready to PCS next week from KNUW to DC so I was trying to make a meal tonight with some of the stuff in my fridge...
-minced ginger
-lots of garlic
-soy sauce
-frozen stir fry veggies and a package of jenny-O ground turkey and a box of whole wheat spaghetti.... chinese sitr fry turkey pasta...voila!! ( I'll be going down to Toby's tomorrow night for a bowl of mussel chowder and the halibut and chips)
BTW MB....thats a goddamn sacrilege that your ex has your BBQ

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm beginnng to understand why some of you are so eager to get married - it's for the food. :D

Brett

Not me. My wife can't cook to save her life. Good thing I've got some culinary skills, otherwise, we'd starve or blow up on fast food. That's right, MY cuisine reigns supreme, b!tches.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
A quick favorite of mine is grilled italian chicken.

Boneless chicken breasts
Celery salt
Italian dressing

Put the number of chicken breasts you want to eat into a bag with enough italian dressing to cover them. The longer the better. A good plan is to do it the night or morning before. Make sure they are not frozen.

Once ready to cook, put the chicken on the grill. I usually season one side of the chicken with celery salt, wait 5 minutes, flip it and then season the other side. Flip the chicken roughly every 5 minutes while brushing or pouring on a small amount of italian dressing. Be sure to not whip away the celery salt on the chicken. This keeps the chicken nice and moist. It also helps the chicken look golden. I like to have the outside nice and crisp. Takes maybe 30 minutes on the grill on a medium heat (in below 0 frigid hell weather), but in a warmer environment, probably under 25 minutes.

I like to use some random vegatables and a baked potato to supplement. A neat trick I learned from my Dad is a quick way to make a fast baked potato. Microwave a potato for 1.5 minutes, then flip and go for another 1.5 minutes. Pop the potato in the oven heated to 400 F and it will be done at the same time as the chicken if started at the same time.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Berry Smoothies are the shit. Granted it's not cooking, but still. All you need is a blender and not be legally retarded. This is what I do:

1 thingy of yoplait raspberry or strawberry yogurt
Add frozen mixed berries (raspberries, black berries and blue berries)
Add frozen Strawberries
Top off with OJ
Add ice

Serves 2 normal people, or 1 bachelor.

Blend and fuckin' enjoy.

You don't really need frozen berries, but it's just easier. I don't go out much to eat because the restaurants in China Lake eat a fat dick.

I've been gettin' food from www.schwans.com in addition to the commissary. Some of the stuff on schwan's is nothing more than microwaveable meals, but some of it is pretty good (that's where I get my frozen fruit from).

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Best tool to use in the kitchen to make tasty sauces is deglazing. After cooking meat/chicken/whatever in the pan, add some nice wine to it, reduce it by cooking it down and it becomes a great sauce. You can mix it up by adding cream to the wine sauce or veggies to create more complex sauces. Pour it over the meat/chicken when it's done and you have a great dish.

tiger84

LT
pilot
I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if someone has mentioned this. I get tired of eating plain old rice (whether it be brown, Jasmine, long/short grain or whatever). I've found it's really easy to make pretty good pilafs that help to spice things up from time to time. All you do is brown 2 parts white onion, one part celery and one part carrot (all diced). Then add the rice (I usually make about 1 cup dry at a time) and let it toast in the pan until it smells nutty. Then add whatever amount of liquid the rice package says to add (chicken stock or broth gives it more flavor) place a lid on it and throw it in a 350 degree oven. Let it bake long enough to absorb the liquid and then fluff with a fork. It goes great with chicken and fish dishes (I like tortilla crusted tilapia the best) and it's relatively easy to make.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
yeah...deglazing with vino gets the good stuff off the bottom of the pan...Bobby Flay did it with chicken cacciatore today

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
BTW....anyone on or around Whidbey Island want about 10-15 lbs of frozen wild, Alaskan salmon that I need to get rid of before I move?? I caught it myself.

Love to cook, but don't have the time too much during the week these days. So I've been eating the crap out of "Smart Ones" higher protein entrees.

The other crap they sell under the name doesn't seem to be as good a trade-off as the protein-rich entrees. They're a buck fifty at the commissary (as opposed to $2.30 at Walmart) and are a great lunch item.

Go for the one's without the pasta and you can be looking at about 20-25 grams of protein in only 200-230 calories. Plus, it's enough to fill you up when coupled with a little tuna fish thrown in for even more protien. I find it a very satisying lunch (in both taste and portion).

Also like to eat almonds with equal parts of cherry-flavored cranberries in there as a snack/desert.

-jai5w4