• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cooking decent, healthy and cheaply..

Rasczak

Marine
about beer. Marinate some hotdogs in some beer over night, BBQ them the next day. You got yourself one bad @ss hotdog. I suggest the ballpark brand dogs.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^Ball Park...? BALL PARK?? Those are nothing but lips and a$sholes. Try Hebrew National for an all-beef, somewhat lower sodium, damn tasty (and kosher) hotdog.

Rasczak

Marine
well there's also Nathan's (i think it's nathans) hot dogs at HEB. They're rather pricey. I said ball park because they're better than the HEB brand stuff.

Recidivist

Fajitas-
cut meat (chicken or beef) into strips
cut equal amounts bell pepper and onion into strips (about 2x as much veggies as meat)
sauté with garlic, chili powder, a small amount of soy sauce (or terriaki)
in a separate pan cook the peppers and onions on low heat with a little bit of olive oil, cumin (don't use too much, about two shakes per person you're cooking for), garlic and soy sauce (coriander and ground ginger optional). Save about 1/3 of the vegetables
when the veggies are just starting to get soft combine the meat and veggies and throw in the unused vegetables
let the water cook off and make sure your meat is cooked all the way.
in a pan, melt cheese (Monterey pepper jack is best) onto a tortilla.
wrap the tortilla and veggies up together with some salsa and avocado.

one pepper and one onion will make three monster burritos.

For a sandwich-
bake a chicken breast with rosemary, italian seasoning (dried parsley, basil and oregano) garlic and olive oil.
cut into slices and voila (that's french, or freedom if you prefer) for there it is. A lunchmeat that cost $.99-2.99 depending on whether there was a sale or not, instead of crappy pre-processed $4.00-7.00 stuff.

a couple of shakers of seasonings will change everything, and it won't take long to figure out what works well together
-garlic (fresh cloves are the best, followed by peeled cloves, in jar minced, and finally powdered)
black pepper (a grinder is a good investment IMO)
basil (fresh is way more flavorful, but much more expensive and a pain in the butt sometimes)
ginger (root or ground)
cumin
chili powder
italian seasoning

Rasczak

Marine
for the above recipe, HEB sells some precooked fajitas that are actually rather tasty. When your heating them up, throw them in the pan with a little bit of oil(if you get the chicken fajitas, throw in a little bit of butter to moisten them up as they are a bit dry) and then follow the rest of recidivist recipe accordingly.

Did i mention their cheap?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The only issue I have with pre-made (or at least prepped) stuff you buy from the store is that I don't have any control over what they put in it. That includes actual ingredients, as well as coinpurse hairs from the high school dropouts working in the back of the store. At least if you buy the individual items yourself, you can be reasonably certain that they'll be YOUR hairs.

MasterBates

Well Ryann, I bought one, however you are closer to it than I am....

Thanks for all the advice/reccomendations.. I am making a list for this weeks Commissary run.

Well Ryann, I bought one, however you are closer to it than I am....

Thanks for all the advice/reccomendations.. I am making a list for this weeks Commissary run.

Well if you get that one back ;) , or get a new one, get a roast, cut up some potatoes, carrots, onions and add some seasoning and water and you will have a good meal to come home too! :) Also, if you like shrimp, I actually just bought some frozen prepared shrimp scampi in garlic and butter sauce at the commisary and my husband said it was really good. I added it to angel hair pasta and added some more butter and garlic. Just something simple I thought of:)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Aw Cookbook

Man, this thread is awesome! And it's making me hungry!! I'm printing the entire thing and taking it to Tampa with me!!! Someone should throw all the advice & ideas in this thread and call it the Air Warriors Cookbook.

phrogpilot73

Can't we make this one Sticky? I wouldn't mind easily finding it again to try some of the recipes. I think that I'd get too much shit from my wife if I were to break out an Air Warriors cook book, but some battles are worth fighting...

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Indeed this is epic. Who's gonna contact the Food Network? We could have the top rep-ed AW be guest chef's each show.:D

(I seem to be getting the first post on each new page)