• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conditioning for OCS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I probably shouldn't be wading into this discussion, but I just want to chime in as a representative of people who aren't going to get anywhere close to maxing on the PRT. We are all coming from different places when it comes to fitness. Personally I have lost 85 pounds and am continually working on improving my fitness level. I'm sure that many people are going to show up to OCS in better shape than I am, and others will be worse. It seems like the best thing to do in preparation for OCS is to be the best shape you can, but be prepared for it to suck (as you say, that's largely by design).
I didn't show up able to max anything, either. In fact, I had no tolerance for running prior to OCS and that impeded my fitness greatly before showing up. I showed up really having to dig down to get a 12:30 1.5 mile on the in-PRT, but running was such a relatively small component of OCS that it didn't matter too much after that. You're split into run groups and as long as you're not the slowest guy out there and don't fall out, you won't be the focus of attention. One thing that OCS did for me long-term was build up my tolerance for distance running, the other was making me realize how much BS the "fitness industry" is pushing when it writes dozens of articles telling people to rest more, which has helped a lot since then in terms of increasing and maintaining my fitness. You'll come out the other end maxing pushups and situps though because you will do a lot of calisthenics that specifically work those muscles over the 3 months that you are there.

The overall point I was trying to make, though, is that the PT at OCS isn't so difficult that you would need a specialized training program for it. If you do a decent running program that gets you out there at least 4 days a week and a whole body strength routine, you will be fine. If you're not on an exercise routine, get on one. A proven, effective one that you can do at least 5 days a week through varied exercises. Make it an hour-a-day habit. Doing just dozens of pushups may eventually get you there, but it will take a lot longer and be infinitely more boring than doing one of a myriad of proven strength training routines available.

Last edited:

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I didn't show up able to max anything, either. In fact, I had no tolerance for running prior to OCS and that impeded my fitness greatly before showing up. I showed up really having to dig down to get a 12:30 1.5 mile on the in-PRT, but running was such a relatively small component of OCS that it didn't matter too much after that. You're split into run groups and as long as you're not the slowest guy out there and don't fall out, you won't be the focus of attention. One thing that OCS did for me long-term was build up my tolerance for distance running, the other was making me realize how much BS the "fitness industry" is pushing when it writes dozens of articles telling people to rest more, which has helped a lot since then in terms of increasing and maintaining my fitness. You'll come out the other end maxing pushups and situps though because you will do a lot of calisthenics that specifically work those muscles over the 3 months that you are there.

The overall point I was trying to make, though, is that the PT at OCS isn't so difficult that you would need a specialized training program for it. If you do a decent running program that gets you out there at least 4 days a week and a whole body strength routine, you will be fine. If you're not on an exercise routine, get on one. A proven, effective one that you can do at least 5 days a week through varied exercises. Make it an hour-a-day habit. Doing just dozens of pushups may eventually get you there, but it will take a lot longer and be infinitely more boring than doing one of a myriad of proven strength training routines available.
This input is awesome. The picture is definitely painted as being hell on earth for a week but I'm 670 for the seal pst and I can't imagine it's going to be anything like the training I've been doing.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
This input is awesome. The picture is definitely painted as being hell on earth for a week but I'm 670 for the seal pst and I can't imagine it's going to be anything like the training I've been doing.
If you do anything close to SEAL training and have not died, you should be fine at OCS. When our DI had to RPT our SPECWAR candidate at grad practice, he basically said "Go in the corner and start pushing" and he was there for like ten minutes just pushing away. RPT sessions for everyone else are like 20 pushups, 20 leglifts, 20 in-outs, maybe holding the push-up position for a while. I doubt he even broke a sweat during those.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
If you do anything close to SEAL training and have not died, you should be fine at OCS. When our DI had to RPT our SPECWAR candidate at grad practice, he basically said "Go in the corner and start pushing" and he was there for like ten minutes just pushing away. RPT sessions for everyone else are like 20 pushups, 20 leglifts, 20 in-outs, maybe holding the push-up position for a while. I doubt he even broke a sweat during those.
Good info. Training with a seal up for team selection and a delta dude. I think I'll be ready in 3 months.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
When our DI had to RPT our SPECWAR candidate at grad practice, he basically said "Go in the corner and start pushing" and he was there for like ten minutes just pushing away. RPT sessions for everyone else are like 20 pushups, 20 leglifts, 20 in-outs, maybe holding the push-up position for a while. I doubt he even broke a sweat during those.
So by all rights, the DI should send me and the other IW folks (if there are any) off into a corner to solve math problems and write code...

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Never had a personal PT session longer than 30 seconds while at OCS. In regards to SPECWAR our Class Team would purposely RPT them just to help them out because OCS hinders SPECWAR candidates.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Never had a personal PT session longer than 30 seconds while at OCS. In regards to SPECWAR our Class Team would purposely RPT them just to help them out because OCS hinders SPECWAR candidates.
Our DI was notorious for handing out demerits, and supposedly he set a new record with us. Our SPECWAR guy was also our president (until he was demoted to VP for leaving his rifle unsecured), so I'm sure he got plenty of extra PT for that.

egiv

Just to round out the good info already here - I would absolutely recommend coming in to OCS able to get at least an excellent on the PRT, if not max it out from the get-go for the sole reason that it will make your life easier while you're there. First off, the people that suck at PT get hounded by the DIs and CPOs, and once they form a low opinion of you based on your poor PT performance, it is hard to get rid of it when it comes to other stuff. Crushing morning PT and scoring towards the top of your class on PRTs is the easiest way to get them off your back - or at the very least not bring additional pain upon yourself. A lot of people show up for OCS in pretty bad shape - I saw an average of 6-7 people per class roll during the first week (IST and Welcome Aboard) while I was there, which is just being physically unprepared. If you show up able to do anything less than 'Good,' in any category, there is a strong chance you'll roll in the first week.

My advice is to be working out almost every day, mixing it up with weights, runs (fast and short, no more than 3 miles), and zillions of pushups and situps. Chest days should pretty much just be sets of pushups, with different variants thrown in. It's not a requirement, but I can guarantee that if you show up in great shape, when the DIs are looking for someone to scream at, they'll pass right by you and ruin someone else's day instead (assuming you're not all jacked up in another way, in which case get on your face).