• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conditioning for OCS

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
You don't show up and just run 4 miles right away. The runs start out at 1.5 miles, 2.0 miles if you include warmups and the like, and if you're not in the fast group you'll stop periodically for plenty of other 'cardio enhancing' mini workouts.

After 3-5 weeks, the runs turn into 2.4 (IIRC) mile runs that include a bit more hills, but by then it's fairly manageable. Again, if you're not in the fast group expect to do plenty of hill sprints and other 'cardio enhancing' mini workouts. Then on occasional Saturdays you'll do a 5k to the carriers and back.*

Honestly, after the first few weeks the morning PT runs became one of the most relaxing things at OCS. I showed up barely able to get a good low in the run and had no diffiuclty. As I said before, pushups and situps are by far the exercises you want to get good at because you'll be working those muscles 3-4x a day for the first month.

*This was all during the spring/summer, dunno what they do in the winter. I hear they just run around the gym like 50 times.
Agreed but if he can't run and falls out in Outpost/Welcome Aboard he gets rolled. Go outside and run.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My outpost was 60% bear crawling/pushups/flutter kicks (including into the SUYA pit), 20% standing still and holding uniform items with stiff arms in front of you, and 20% lugging around a full seabag.

My wakeup Wed was 30-45 minutes of bear crawling around the PT field. What was kind of cool (and unknown to me at the time) was that the class Officer PT'ed with us that day.

YMMV, but I didn't see any class do anything more than maybe a 100-200ft sprint during either of these evolutions when I was there.

My outpost was 60% bear crawling/pushups/flutter kicks (including into the SUYA pit), 20% standing still and holding uniform items with stiff arms in front of you, and 20% lugging around a full seabag.

My wakeup Wed was 30-45 minutes of bear crawling around the PT field. What was kind of cool (and unknown to me at the time) was that the class Officer PT'ed with us that day.

YMMV, but I didn't see any class do anything more than maybe a 100-200ft sprint during either of these evolutions when I was there.
From what I hear, they don't do any runs around the campus anymore, so no hills. Also, Wake-Up Wednesday no longer exists, they don't meet their DI's until Outpost. Outpost was about a min of 4 different exercises around the gym with some various exercises before and after. And a fast march with Seabags on your back from New Nimitz to the gym. If outpost hasn't changed, it's not very hard, injuries are what roll people more often than not.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
You don't show up and just run 4 miles right away. The runs start out at 1.5 miles, 2.0 miles if you include warmups and the like, and if you're not in the fast group you'll stop periodically for plenty of other 'cardio enhancing' mini workouts.

After 3-5 weeks, the runs turn into 2.4 (IIRC) mile runs that include a bit more hills, but by then it's fairly manageable. Again, if you're not in the fast group expect to do plenty of hill sprints and other 'cardio enhancing' mini workouts. Then on occasional Saturdays you'll do a 5k to the carriers and back.*

Honestly, after the first few weeks the morning PT runs became one of the most relaxing things at OCS. I showed up barely able to get a good low in the run and had no diffiuclty. As I said before, pushups and situps are by far the exercises you want to get good at because you'll be working those muscles 3-4x a day for the first month.

*This was all during the spring/summer, dunno what they do in the winter. I hear they just run around the gym like 50 times.

This is absolutely great info. I always wondered what happened if you ran out of steam running during PT, this is good info.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Then on occasional Saturdays you'll do a 5k to the carriers and back.*
They stopped doing the carrier run while we were there. They replaced it with the whole "Capstone" event. Although I ran there as a candio with two others, it was a pretty nice path.

xltn

this is what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks.
I know I'm an iron duck, so I have been swimming for 2 weeks now, 4 times a week. No more running. Still doing weights and everything else. Before, I couldn't even swimming for 25 yards, now i can swim 100 yards straight, but slow. I notice swimming has helped me a lot with my breathing. Therefore, I decided to run on a treadmill again today. Good news, I went from 13:30+ to 12:20. Bad news, my knees and back began to hurt (never felt hurt before). So this is what I decide to do starting next week: instead of swimming 4 times a week, will swim 2 days, and run 2 days. Let see how it will turn out.
If you want to improve your run time, try to mix it with swimming, as it worked for me.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
My workout routine has been: swim, warm up with basketball, weights, elliptical to loosen my muscles from weights, then run.

I know I'm an iron duck, so I have been swimming for 2 weeks now, 4 times a week. No more running. Still doing weights and everything else. Before, I couldn't even swimming for 25 yards, now i can swim 100 yards straight, but slow. I notice swimming has helped me a lot with my breathing. Therefore, I decided to run on a treadmill again today. Good news, I went from 13:30+ to 12:20. Bad news, my knees and back began to hurt (never felt hurt before). So this is what I decide to do starting next week: instead of swimming 4 times a week, will swim 2 days, and run 2 days. Let see how it will turn out.
If you want to improve your run time, try to mix it with swimming, as it worked for me.
My workout routine has been: swim, warm up with basketball, weights, elliptical to loosen my muscles from weights, then run.
Weights are good, but you won't be lifting weights until possibly Candi-O phase. So I'd recommend some body-weight exercises so that you are more used to the physical demands of the at least the first 4+ weeks. FYI, I did Insanity and IMO it was pretty similar to PT on strength days.

xltn

Yeah, I know that. It's just that I've been lifting weight for years now, kinda don't want to stop. But I have been cutting down my time around free weights and more for running/swimming.

mitrokhin

I like to hear that. Something I noticed is that even when my legs are worn out, I can swim for extra strength and cardio training. It's like a shortcut to cut time off of your run. If your legs are burnt out, get yourself a pool buoy to put between your legs and practice your stroke with only your arm. Then maybe get fins and improve your kick with a kick board. Swimming is complex - so I like focusing on one thing at a time, then put it together. You'll be surprised how quickly your max distance will improve. The other thing you'll see a significant change in is your body fat percentage. Holy shit does it increase your metabolism.

Yeah, I know that. It's just that I've been lifting weight for years now, kinda don't want to stop. But I have been cutting down my time around free weights and more for running/swimming.
Not telling you to necessarily stop lifting, only that my recommendation (as someone you went through OCS, not as trainer or anyone qualified in any other way) is that you should be getting in shape in the way that you are going to be doing PT and getting RPT'd at OCS, which is with body weight exercises (ie push ups, leg raises, crunches, "in-outs," etc) and running. I'd recommend mostly that. That's my suggestion, take it or leave it

xltn

well thank you for your recommendation. As a prior Marine, also went through multiple MCMAP condition courses, I know how it feel to be hazed in the dirt, and survive through it. Of course I want to go in there to max out PRT, but getting outstanding/excellence won't make me any less proud. So yeah, Im gonna leave it. But your recommendation is actually a good one.

well thank you for your recommendation. As a prior Marine, also went through multiple MCMAP condition courses, I know how it feel to be hazed in the dirt, and survive through it. Of course I want to go in there to max out PRT, but getting outstanding/excellence won't make me any less proud. So yeah, Im gonna leave it. But your recommendation is actually a good one.
Didn't read your bio. Yeah, you'll be fine

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not telling you to necessarily stop lifting, only that my recommendation (as someone you went through OCS, not as trainer or anyone qualified in any other way) is that you should be getting in shape in the way that you are going to be doing PT and getting RPT'd at OCS, which is with body weight exercises (ie push ups, leg raises, crunches, "in-outs," etc) and running. I'd recommend mostly that. That's my suggestion, take it or leave it
If you've never done a lifting routine and don't know much about the topic, why would you tell someone to stop doing it?

Weights are a great way to improve your strength and get ready for OCS, provided that you do a solid routine.

If you've never done a lifting routine and don't know much about the topic, why would you tell someone to stop doing it?

Weights are a great way to improve your strength and get ready for OCS, provided that you do a solid routine.
Never said I don't lift weights. IMO doing push ups and similar exercises are a much better way to be ready for OCS than bench press, for example. If you are only focused on lifting weights, I don't think you'd be as prepared as someone who only did body weight exercises. If you do both, even better. I only spoke to MY experience. Trying to provide some insight