• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conditioning for OCS

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Just to round out the good info already here - I would absolutely recommend coming in to OCS able to get at least an excellent on the PRT, if not max it out from the get-go for the sole reason that it will make your life easier while you're there. First off, the people that suck at PT get hounded by the DIs and CPOs, and once they form a low opinion of you based on your poor PT performance, it is hard to get rid of it when it comes to other stuff. Crushing morning PT and scoring towards the top of your class on PRTs is the easiest way to get them off your back - or at the very least not bring additional pain upon yourself. A lot of people show up for OCS in pretty bad shape - I saw an average of 6-7 people per class roll during the first week (IST and Welcome Aboard) while I was there, which is just being physically unprepared. If you show up able to do anything less than 'Good,' in any category, there is a strong chance you'll roll in the first week.

My advice is to be working out almost every day, mixing it up with weights, runs (fast and short, no more than 3 miles), and zillions of pushups and situps. Chest days should pretty much just be sets of pushups, with different variants thrown in. It's not a requirement, but I can guarantee that if you show up in great shape, when the DIs are looking for someone to scream at, they'll pass right by you and ruin someone else's day instead (assuming you're not all jacked up in another way, in which case get on your face).
Great gouge. Question: did you have your physical before all of the intense conditioning took place or after you had already begun PT?

egiv

Great gouge. Question: did you have your physical before all of the intense conditioning took place or after you had already begun PT?

Most medical stuff was taken care of during indoc week on Monday and Tuesday (before the IST on Wednesday), however if you are NFO, Pilot, Sub-Nuke or for whatever reason need further testing, you might have to go in periodically to test for random things.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Most medical stuff was taken care of during indoc week on Monday and Tuesday (before the IST on Wednesday), however if you are NFO, Pilot, Sub-Nuke or for whatever reason need further testing, you might have to go in periodically to test for random things.
Great, Thanks. I assume Indoc week starts the day we check in?

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
My goal is to show up and have everyone thinking I'm a SEAL contract based on my physical fitness level.

BeastMaster

"Sir! This Indoctrination Candidate's face lacks the proper structure to support his weight!"

Well good morning to you, too!

I pushed, sat curled, and ran ad nauseum before going. Had I done it over again, I would've done workouts I used to do for rugby: intervals and stations. Stamina is more important than numbers.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Haha call me crazy, but I love to stay in top shape. Personality I doubt I could ever be a SEAL, I'm terrified of swimming in the ocean and I hate being wet and cold.
we all have our strengths, they maybe just have fewer weaknesses

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
What is the routine for PT like? Do we do calisthenics, then run, then continue on with our day, or we do run, calisthenics, carry on, or calisthenics, run, more calisthenics?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
What is the routine for PT like? Do we do calisthenics, then run, then continue on with our day, or we do run, calisthenics, carry on, or calisthenics, run, more calisthenics?
at this point I don't know if it matters lol...get your ass kicked, go learn and try not to fall asleep...oh yeah and eat some food. Just grip it and rip it Dangle

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
at this point I don't know if it matters lol...get your ass kicked, go learn and try not to fall asleep...oh yeah and eat some food. Just grip it and rip it Dangle

Maybe I should've asked this question last month, whoops. I'll make it work somehow.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
if it were me I'd switch it up from day to day. Do some cal. and then do your run dead tired (worst case) then one day do run warm up and cals. in the am and at night repeat...from what I remember hearing mon, wed, fri is "long" run and would assume tues, thurs and sat and calisthenics days...others please chime in but again I don't know how much it's going to matter. Work out hard for the next 30 days and see you in Newport.