• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Common Aviation Quotes / Pearls of Wisdom

dufault.2

Fly Navy said:
Don't do drugs!

Easily the funniest post I've seen on this site. Props brotha.

Flying a helo is like masturbating. It's fun while you're doing it, but you're always a little embarassed when it's over.

Heard this one just today as I passed a stud getting a painful debrief after a heinous overshoot: "Don't let out that AOB. Hold that turn till it hurts."

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
training over the water at corpus... i overheard on base frequency a couple IP's talking...

"hey, i told my stud to take us home and he's heading 090"

"maybe he lives in CUBA"

B

Blutonski816

ghost119 said:
You know that the Harrier can kick any other aircraft's ass in a true dogfight!

Please, explain this phenomenon...

I have no Knowledges about this

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Go ugly early.

I got to see the CO over this pearl of wisdom. When I was the AW Divo right before a Dodge deployment, I was holding a shop meeting to answer any of the new guys questions. One asked, "Sir, you've been to Diego before. With the men really outnumbering the women, how do we get laid?" My answer, "Go ugly early. That way they will think you like them. If you wait until 3 months into the deployment, they will know you are just horny." One of the guys told his ground pounder girlfriend and she complained to a female Chief. Chief went to CO and CO called me in. I got a 10 second CO CYA a$$ chewing and than he told me the first beer at the O club that night was on him.

I still think it's good advise. It works during the home cycle too. If you're not concerned about quality but just want that itch scratched...hitting up on an ugly girl early makes her think she is special. Than.....

And yes, I think this is aviation related. After all, what pilot doesn't want to get laid? :D

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
You know that the Harrier can kick any other aircraft's ass in a true dogfight!

Janes and the History channel strikes again.
That just made my day, we usually end up about .500 against them

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So waht defines a true dogfight? If rate of climb and speed are ignored for turning radius alone and hover ability than I can kick all you @sses.
Fox-2 on all of you (he he he)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just for arguments sake the Iranian J Cobras without sidewinders aquitted themselves quite well against Iraqi fastmovers.
Think of it as the special olympics of aerial combat.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
No, I didn't know that. And since you brought it up, what would a "true" dogfight consist of, anyway ?? Inquiring minds want to know .... :)

I too want to know the unique set of rules that lets the Harrier prevale before he runs out of gas. Maybe Ill ask an Argentinian.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Define running away, aircraft extend out of a fight when they dont have the advantage then re-engage when they do. There are is no such thing as two truly equally skilled pilots (Did Ditka have breakfast?)

My opinion is based on not being a fighter (nor trying to be) guy but a fair amount of study devoted to fighting wars. And having flown against both F-5s and AV-8s. Doing 14 months in as a FAC in a airshop with a Hornet and a Sh!tter guy with little else to do but talk flying-I learned quite a bit over a few beers.

Your opinion was a fairly bold statement from someone yet to get to flight school. Continue to voice them but realize you will be shouted down from time to time, no worries someday you might be there and have something to back the opinions up.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bulllsh!t flag-noun-device used in ready rooms throughout the world, most usually associated with bad gouge or to identifying when one is speaking from their anal orifice. Traditionally used by the more seasoned of aviators to prevent those of less knowledge from infecting impressionable minds with senseless drivel.

B

Blutonski816

Making a statement about an aircraft in which you have no experience isn't an opinion...

now, me saying "Man, Tomcats are Fvcken awesome." That's an opinion.....

and this "true" dogfight you talk aobut is kind of a romantic, albeit unrealistic approach to modern air combat... Granted I've heard of how the brits have made scrap out of Argentine fighters, but I think you what I'm trying to communicate....

B

Blutonski816

Well then why really push the subject?

I used to think like that...
I thought someday I was gonna get to do sh!t like that...

"but now I realize I'm gonna be eating jell-o"

jell-o.jpg

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
"Just push the I Believe button"

"Git 'er Done.."

"How do you think that went?" Common phrase by IP's to make students paranoid and second guess themselves.

We were sitting on a taxiway in Tampa when we found ATC did not have our return flight plan... Base Ops from the air force base asks us to shut down our engines and come in... to which our IP replied... this is a P-3... if we shut down the engines they might not start back up again!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
virtu050 said:
"Just push the I Believe button"

...this is a P-3... if we shut down the engines they might not start back up again!

So I actually know a P-3 pilot that happened to... He shut downhis engines as per CO/XO's orders, and an hour later, when they tried to start them up again... the engines sputtered, coughed and died.

I love the "I Believe Button"... it got me through college, and it'll get me through flight school...