• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COD-speak

jmiller82

Pardon me for asking, but doesn't VRS refer to the WWII squadron/aircraft designator for ferry flights? Can someone please let me in on the acronym meaning for "VRS?" I checked acronymfinder.com with no success...

Ok, I did some more checking and it seems that COD is synonomous with VRS - I guess the VRS designator for squadrons is what is used for aircraft such as the C-2 that perform COD.. correct me if I'm off target, though..

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
j_m74 said:
Pardon me for asking, but doesn't VRS refer to the WWII squadron/aircraft designator for ferry flights? Can someone please let me in on the acronym meaning for "VRS?" I checked acronymfinder.com with no success...

Ok, I did some more checking and it seems that COD is synonomous with VRS - I guess the VRS designator for squadrons is what is used for aircraft such as the C-2 that perform COD.. correct me if I'm off target, though..

It's VRC-30 and 40. Actually, it should be VR-30/40. The R is for logistics while the C is for composite. However, since VRC-30 or 40 is no longer a composite squadron (composed of different types of aircraft), should just be VR. For example, VRC-50 used to have C-2's, C-130's, P-3's, Saberliners, US-3's, etc. As of a few years ago, VRC-30 flew both the C-2 and C-12.

jmiller82

Yeah, the "C" is what was confusing.. I'd heard those refer to it as VR, although officially it's VRC.. What are the odds of getting assignment into a C-2 or C-130 for an NFO? Do they even fly with an NFO? Also, someone mentioned the "island-hopping" earlier.. Would VRC aircraft (COD) stage or use air bases to "bounce" from, such Anderson AFB in Guam, as well as some of the other AFB's in remote locations or is it strictly limited to naval activity (on board naval bases/ limited joint activities)?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Sorry dude. No NFO's in the COD. C-130's don't carry NFO's either I think. Not sure about that one. For NFO's, if you decide to go to the boat side of things, there will be Hawkeyes, Hornets, and maybe a Prowler depending on when you get winged. That's about it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Like said above, no NFO's in COD's. I have no clue about the C-130T's in the Navy. COD's can use any base, foreign or US for what we call FLS (Forward Logistic Sites) as long as we get the approval from the foreign country to fly and operate from their land.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goplay234 said:
Sorry dude. No NFO's in the COD. C-130's don't carry NFO's either I think. Not sure about that one. For NFO's, if you decide to go to the boat side of things, there will be Hawkeyes, Hornets, and maybe a Prowler depending on when you get winged. That's about it.
If it's before 2013, you can count on Prowlers. I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Prowlers are going to be gone anytime soon.

Brett

jmiller82

Brett,

I agree.. I think the EA-18G Growler program or stories have gotten everyone in an uproar about replacing the Prowler early or something!!

On another note, does anyone know if the C-130T (or any other variant) with the Navy is only used for VRC/transport, or is it also used as a gunship (I think that might only be the AF)?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
If it's before 2013, you can count on Prowlers. I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Prowlers are going to be gone anytime soon.

Brett
I think he may be referring to the amount of slots. Dunno about NFO-land but here Prowler slots are relatively rare, as in less than one per winging. Granted there aren't many Prowler pilots statistically speaking . . .

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
j_m74 said:

Back in the day there was a squadron desig VRF (e.g. VRF-31) - Ferry squadron for Factory and NARF (nee NADEP) deliveries. You generally got checked out PIC/HAC in 2-3 different aircraft. We had a guy in HC-6 who was a VRF-31 alum - and he said it was a blast. Of course this was in the day when the Navy/USMC were taking deliveries of dozens of aircraft per week plus whatever NARF was re-working - and the squadrons couldn't afford pilots to fly these things for delivery..

d2540b40.jpg