• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chest cramps

Amall

Trainer says, Chest pains while working out=doctor visit

Unless, you are an out-of-shape dude who did a chest workout for the first time in his life and thinks he's having a heartattack the next day when its really just soreness (true story). but this is not the case with you. If I had a sailor come to me with this type of issue, I legally cannot train/give fitness advice,etc. until they go to the doc for clearance. Especially, "chest cramping" during cardio. Sounds not okay.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
It's definitely a good idea to have this checked up--especially if the pains are getting worse--lest you drop over dead in the gym.

The most likely, less acute reasons, are breathing too high up vs. from your diaphram (this should not continue after you stop running though), cramping from lifting too much weight without a proper warm-up or stretching (or because you started with too heavy of weights and were previously a couch potato), lack of potassium or fluid and electrolyte imbalance from changing your diet drastically and putting out too much energy (drink gatorade for both of these) or dehydration (are your lips shrivelled?)

Really check out your diet for enough protein, vitamins, good carbs, liquids. 1200kcal is not enough for anyone who is really putting out a lot of energy--you'll just shut down your metabolism and your body will go into famine-mode. Figure that 1200kcal will maintain the BMR of about a 130 pound person, without exercise. You should probably take in about 1400 to keep from going into ketosis if you are bigger than that and working out a lot.

tmccarron

Hi again.. so I've worked on breathing technique and smoothing my pace. Back down to 10:15 on monday with no cramping. I think I ramped up too fast.. true to my prediction, a fat sports doc here in Boca took my copay and said I need to rest and not work out as hard. Yawn to that professional opinion. I read a few running forums for breathing technique which has worked well.

Also, to clarify, I never had chest "pain." I never felt dizzy or light headed.. It definitely felt (past tense :)) like a cramp similar to consuming too much water then trying to run with intensity. Regardless, I am feeling good and pushing as hard as ever.

God and country willing, I will be a USMC OCC select this year.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Hi again.. so I've worked on breathing technique and smoothing my pace. Back down to 10:15 on monday with no cramping. I think I ramped up too fast.. true to my prediction, a fat sports doc here in Boca took my copay and said I need to rest and not work out as hard. Yawn to that professional opinion. I read a few running forums for breathing technique which has worked well.

Also, to clarify, I never had chest "pain." I never felt dizzy or light headed.. It definitely felt (past tense :)) like a cramp similar to consuming too much water then trying to run with intensity. Regardless, I am feeling good and pushing as hard as ever.

God and country willing, I will be a USMC OCC select this year.

The USMC PFT is a 3 mile run.

Cams1215

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I will throw in my .02

compare your run with a bench workout, if you max out on bench on a monday, do a bench work out on wednesday, then try to max out again on friday what do you think your result will be? a worse performance, because you havent let the muscles take the time they need to repair. I'm not saying you need to rest, i'm saying adjust the way you're approaching your run. Instead of blasting out your 1.5, like maxing out, twice a week. I think it would be more help to go for distance and pace, this will also help you train your body and heart for endurance. A cross country coach recently told me that the best way to get your short distance times down is by improving your long distance runs and keeping the pace.

Also, taking two whole days off... c'mon... you could squeeze in another light run for sure... haha

check out navy-prt.com for some good running programs too

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
check out navy-prt.com for some good running programs too

as Achilles pointed out, the marine pft is 3mi and not 1.5mi, so the running program from navy-prt.com wouldnt be appropriate, since that is tuned to get you up to speed on a timed navy 1.5mi run. as a high school cross country runner, i can tell you that in order to properly train for 3mi timed runs (which is almost cross-country distance of 5km=3.1mi), you have to do more running than is in the navy-prt.com program per day. probably there are some marine prt training programs out there on the internet somewhere.

high school and college cross country runners typically have to train 35-50mi per week in the offseason to be able to "race" (timed run) the 3.1mi during the cross country season. a coach will say there is no shortcut to just running a ton of miles to prepare for timed 3mi runs- because running 50mi a week takes a lot of time, and if there is a shortcut, tons of cross country runners would be taking it! ;) (of course, you don't need any training at all to just "jog" 3mi, but i think the point of this thread is about doing the timed pft run as fast as you can!)

Cams1215

DSL - I agree that mileage is key. the more the better, hence the reason I said "it would be more helpful to go for distance and pace"....
and i know navy-prt.com's target market isnt for those going to take the marine pft. merely a suggestion for a place to get started,
I'm sure I dont need to preach, but to have someone that hasnt been running alot of miles consistently up their mileage very quickly, to 5-7 miles per day (as you suggested 35-50 miles per week), risk of injury like shin splints and stress fractures jumps even higher. and that would put him out for even longer... but it sounds like we are advocating much of the same, just from different starting points...

again, i dont claim to be an expert, just my .02

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

eh? as a girl, i'm at 20:45 right now for 5km. what are you up to?

you shouldn't criticize unless you can show you know better. it'd be like "armchair quarterbacks" criticizing football players. lol. ;)

(and by the way, at 20:45, i'd barely even make a college girls varsity cross country team! so i'm going to be training all sumer, and not the way in your links! lol. :icon_lol: )

EDIT: but i just looked up the marine pft score chart for women, and 20:45 on the 5km does give me a 100pts, and 5km is actually even 0.1mi longer than the pft distance :)

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

actually, this steams me a little :icon_rage, because my advice is not my advice at all, but the advice of those people who train people to win running races at 5km.

these people aren't trying to teach you how to do better pushups or situps or pullups. you can listen to guys like stew smith on that i supposed. these people are teaching you how to run. if stew smith was so good at teaching people how to run, then stew smith could go off and be one of those people. but i doubt it.

so don't believe me- believe the people who teach people how to run. go on the internet and do your own search for 5km or cross-country training plans and you will see that my advice (which isn't mine) isn't so far off. there is just no way to get good at running 5km or 3mi without running lots and lots of miles- running your butt off! to be technical, it is called "building a base".

examples for the google-challenged:
http://www.halhigdon.com/crosscountry/cross.htm
http://www.coacheseducation.com/xc/bill_miller_aug_01-2.htm
http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=5982&c=36

and dont say how stew smith knows more about running 3mi than a cross-country coach or how cross-country training isn't appropriate for learning how to run timed 3mi runs. that would just be ridiculous.

(ok- didn't mean to be so serious, but i try to take my running seriously! ;) )

Cams1215

well you are a cross country runner... so if you didnt max out on the run part of the pft, I would be amazed.

and as an experienced runner i would expect that you wouldnt do the interval training suggested. You are at a high level of fitness because of the sport you chose, and need a different type of workout. That's just how it is. But to say that the other workouts arent good enough, or that they are just wrong, is ignorant. You are right they do need to build a base, and what has been suggested is a way for people who arent at your level of fitness to start out.

you are right, people should listen and learn from people who coach runners. best way to learn is to learn from people with experience.

i will tell you this is not a personal attack nor am I saying you are ignorant, and i understand taking things seriously, you wouldnt be on here if you werent serious about the military. But your attitude come off as ignorant. i just hope your attitude doesnt become a hinderance in the future.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
well you are a cross country runner... so if you didnt max out on the run part of the pft, I would be amazed.

and as an experienced runner i would expect that you wouldnt do the interval training suggested. You are at a high level of fitness because of the sport you chose, and need a different type of workout. That's just how it is. But to say that the other workouts arent good enough, or that they are just wrong, is ignorant. You are right they do need to build a base, and what has been suggested is a way for people who arent at your level of fitness to start out.

you are right, people should listen and learn from people who coach runners. best way to learn is to learn from people with experience.

i will tell you this is not a personal attack nor am I saying you are ignorant, and i understand taking things seriously, you wouldnt be on here if you werent serious about the military. But your attitude come off as ignorant. i just hope your attitude doesnt become a hinderance in the future.

i've never said other work outs are not good. any workout that get your heart beating and blood flowing is probably a good workout. I am just saying that they are not necessarily going to make you perform that much better in running. or that they might not be as efficient. in running, it's all about being efficient. efficient runners can run further and fast then inefficient runners. that's why runners care a lot about form. to do a lot of work/training and not get enough of an improvement would be inefficient. that's why these plans from the real running experts are good- they teach you how to be efficient about your training to get the best improvement from the least amount of work.

if you want to be only just good enough, then any workout might do it. there are jokes i read on here about people running a few miles the week before their annual pft. it it makes them pass, then it's good enough!

but my impression was that we are talking about getting better than mediocre at running. in that case, why not consider the advice of people who spend every working day trying to make people better runners? why not listen to those people?

now, you made a comment about being advance. well, i am not advanced. among cross-country runners, i am considered "intermediate" (at 20:45 for 5km for a girl). but your point is good. the experts have multiple plans for different levels of fitness and running skill. for example, look at the 3rd link. you will see that over time, there is a ramping up. also, even navy-prt.com's plan has a ramping up over time. if you need to ramp up, then ramp up. i've never said there isn't a transition period. no cross-country runner starts running 50mi per week! that's ridiculous. we start at about 20mi per week in high school. you are made to run about 4 mi/day for about 5 days/week if you walked in to cross-country coach's office with no prior running experience at all. (if you don't believe me, do your own research on the internet) i did suggest some one try to target 50mi on here, but only because he said he was already running twice a day. if you've already worked yourself up to two long runs a day, 50mi/wk is completely appropriate for training. but for you, i didn't say that was necessary. i just said that cross-country runners try to target 35-50mi/wk in the off season. but i will say that if you had enough time, and wanted to really try to max the running part of the pft, you'd be well to try to work yourself up to that level too to "build your base".

and you are trying to make me seem arrogant. i'll tell you right now, i don't know anything except what i learned and read and was taught. and at 17yo+7mo, that means i don't know much about anything. but of all of that, i probably know the most about running. and i can see that the little i know about running is more than most of this naive stuff i am reading here. so, as i said, i am 17yo and know nothing. follow the links and learn from the experts then!

(and by the way, never ever did i ever try to teach anyone on here about doing pushup situps or pullups, about which i know NOTHING!)

so i will admit over and over that i know nothing about the pft or prt except the running part (unless someone teaches me something about the other parts), but about the running part, i know plenty! (just that "plenty" is still relative since compared to the experts, i know nothing about running too! lol. :icon_lol: )

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

ok. here it is. you made me look it up.

here is the 1.5mi run training plan from navy-prt.com:
http://navy-prt.com/trainingrun.html

you will see that in order to improve medium distance run time (1.5mi is medium distance in runner-speak) they recommend by the end of the plan to be running 23mi/wk. now note: 1.5mi distance - 23mi/week training. (this is not what i say, it is what navy-prt.com is saying!)

is it such a stretch to think that for LONG DISTANCE RUN TIME (3.0mi is long distance in runner-speak), that 35-50mi/week is reasonable for training?

does that mean that you can't finish 3.0mi if you aren't running 35-50mi/week? no! i've never said that. you should be able to finish 3.0mi now being out of shape as you say you are. i'll bet in your first try at 3.0mi, you'll make the minimums. (if not, just work on your aerobic fitness and you will be able to make the minimum) this is all about improvement. if you aren't "building your base", you're going to see your running on the 3.0mi quickly plateau out. every day, you might achieve the same time and not see much improvement in your time. that's what i am talking about.

(ok- my work here is done! :D )

zen

You are making things pretty complicated. Run 5 days a week, 3 miles a day. Up your pace routinely but make sure you aren't freaking out every time you try and finish. Just make sure the run keeps your heart rate up and isn't a complete joke. It didn't take me very long to go from a 7:30 mile pace to a 6:30 and this is all I really did, and without much attention to ramping up the pace, so I am sure if you keep track you can do better.

Another important thing to remember is that some days just suck. For whatever reason, a run can just destroy you, an occurrence I am sure you are familiar with having lifted for 7 years. Just keep on trucking and keep on pushing the limit, like weight training, you can't stay stagnant and expect much improvement.

Cams1215

also notice that it is designed for some one to start from scratch, not someone who has been running consistently or competitively.... and i especially like the part where you comment how "out of shape" i am....:D... all i good fun...

i know (at least hope anyway) that comment wasnt directed at me anyway, and i must say you are very passionate about this... that's a great thing and will carry you a long way...