• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chest cramps

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
also notice that it is designed for some one to start from scratch, not someone who has been running consistently or competitively.... and i especially like the part where you comment how "out of shape" i am....:D... all i good fun...

i know (at least hope anyway) that comment wasnt directed at me anyway, and i must say you are very passionate about this... that's a great thing and will carry you a long way...

oh sorry! i didn't mean you were out of shape. i don't know anything about you! i thought you were implying that these plans weren't for you because you weren't in good shape. sorry- i failed reading comprehension just now! :eek:

EDIT: omg! i definitely failed reading comp! i thought you were the original poster (who was talking about throwing up on a 1.5mi run)! lol :icon_lol: (i'm so embarrassed- where is the nearest rock to climb under!)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
DSL, I am not questioning your ability as a runner. I am questioning your ability to give advice to those people who are not competitive runners. Sometimes people who do something exceptionally well forget what it's like to start at the beginning. Believe it or not, the Marine PFT isn't a 5k "race;" you do not have to be a world-class athlete to pass it.

You're right: Stew Smith knows very little about competitive running. However, he knows a fuckload about military fitness. Last I checked, people on this site are looking for fitness advice for the military.

Telling someone that they have to run 50 mi a week and damn near pass out every day in order to get a good score on the Marine PFT run is not sound advice, and that's what you originally said. Yes, the Navy PRT program works up to 23 mi a week, but it starts much lower.

Cams1215

its all good.:D no need to climb under a rock.... and you are not the only one to fail reading comp. on here... I have done it many times before...

good luck with everything... and if you need some running tips you know where to look...:D i keed i keed

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
DSL, I am not questioning your ability as a runner. I am questioning your ability to give advice to those people who are not competitive runners. Sometimes people who do something exceptionally well forget what it's like to start at the beginning. Believe it or not, the Marine PFT isn't a 5k "race;" you do not have to be a world-class athlete to pass it.

but it's timed right? what is the difference between a timed event and a race? you tell me that. is there a difference between a girl running 21:00 on the 3mi to get 100pts on the run, and that same girl running a PR of 21:00 in a 3mi race to win the race?

and i never said you need to be a world-class athlete to pass it. you're putting words in my mouth.

in fact, let's be very specific-

according to this page (ok, not official, but best i could do on short notice!):
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm
if you are a guy, you only need to run 28:00 to pass the semi-annual fitness test (17-26yo). but to get a 1st class score, 17-26yo's need a 225, which is about 75 for each event, or 22:10 on the run.

you can definitely "pass" (28:00) by slow running (9:20 mile) which i assume most people can do without having a heart attack. but to get a first class result of 22:10 already requires some effort (7:23 mile). to get 100pts, you have to make 18:00 or a 6:00 mile. if you are doing a 6:00 mile for 3 miles, you are either already training the right way or you are naturally gifted.

does running 18:00 instead of 18:10 matter to the marine corps? well apparently it does because you get an extra point for 18:00 instead of 18:10! does running 17:00 like a highschool cross country star (guy) matter? not at all, and that is not what i am saying that anyone needs to do to do well on the running part of a pft!

i'm not saying it is impossible to get a good running time (18:00 for a guy) using stew smith. i just don't know. but i am saying i believe that if you want to try to run 18:00, your chances are a lot better using a training plan from a real long distance coach (cross country or track) than from a stew smith. and you have a better chance that plan is more "efficient" at getting you to be a faster runner than a plan from stew smith.

You're right: Stew Smith knows very little about competitive running. However, he knows a fuckload about military fitness. Last I checked, people on this site are looking for fitness advice for the military.

but a run is a run is run. again, explain to me how a marine run is different from everyone else's run? ;) and as i said before, i am only talking about the run. that is all i know about. i don't know about situps, pullups and pushups. (in fact, if you have advice on situps and pushups, i'd welcome that since girls have trouble with upper body strength type things and my current choice of school will require me to do a minimum of 6 pullups to pass the PT test!)

Telling someone that they have to run 50 mi a week and damn near pass out every day in order to get a good score on the Marine PFT run is not sound advice.

i never said anyone has to pass out every day on the run. you put words in my mouth. in fact, if you pass out when running, you might be having heart or circulation problems, and you certainly shouldn't run.

what i did say, which is well known, is that runners often throw up when running. and even nonrunners.

in fact jt71582 on the "PRT with Recruiters - Question" thread even mentioned that keeping just a mild 7:55 mile pace, he threw up doing 1.5 miles. nothing wrong with that. running coaches often say that if you don't run hard enough to want to throw up, you are taking it too easy.

now tell me that DIs at OCS don't sometimes push officer candidates so hard physically that they throw up! i bet it is quite common!

nothing i am saying i think is inconsistent with the spirit of being an officer. to push yourself to excel at what you do.

I think that Morgan81 said it best in response to a question from jt71582 about doing the minimum required:

Don't ever do the minimum.
This isn't a question of "knowing everything", it's a question of desire. Do you want to be a naval officer, or do you just want to do the minimum.
The fact that this needs to be explained to you doesn't bode well for your future in Newport.

so in order to do the best that you can in something, if you could use a really great training plan, instead of spending the same amount of time to use a "so so plan", wouldn't be worth it to try to do the best?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
but it's timed right? what is the difference between a timed event and a race?
The PRT/PFT is not just a timed event, but it's a standardized time event. In other words, the candidate knows going in what time he needs to beat to earn a certain score. In a race, you have to beat the other people competing, who could run any number of variable times.

but a run is a run is run. again, explain to me how a marine run is different from everyone else's run? and as i said before, i am only talking about the run.
The act of actually running in the Marines is no different than any other running, I'll give you that, except for the fact that the candidates might be singing at the top of their lungs. But where is a person in the application process who is working a full-time job going to fit strength training into a workout regimen consisting of running 50 mi a week? If you are going to focus solely on the run, then you are going to run into a problem come OCS when you have to do pullups and situps. If you do a search on this site, you'll see a lot of threads started by people with that very problem.

Again, to be clear, I do not agree with the advice you are giving members on this board about running, particularly those who have not run competitively in the past few years. This has nothing to do with your ability as a runner or what your coach has told you. You are a competitive runner, so your coach is giving you advice for someone who is already in top shape. The OP is not a competitive runner. It is unrealistic for someone who does not run cross-country to work up to 50 mi a week in a reasonable amount of time, nor does one have to work up to 50 mi a week to get a good score on the PFT (I define "good" as ~21 min or less). Telling someone that is harmful because one of two things results: 1. demotivation or 2. overtraining.

Does the OP need to run an 18 min 3 mi. run to get accepted into Marine OCS? (that wasn't rhetorical). If not, then it is unreasonable for him to set that goal as someone who does not run regularly. If he was already in the 20 min range and wanted to max out to maximize his chances of selection, that's a different story.

If it is, then the OP is probably looking at a good year or two of gearing up for maxing out the PFT. This is going to have to involve interval training, and not just working up to some insane amount of mileage per week. Yes, one should strive to do the best they can do, but it's also important to be realistic about your timeline and goals.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
i realized that i've written more in this thread then probably my entire time reading AW. but pardon me, long distance running is something i think i know an itsy bitsy teensy little bit about, and sorry i just think a lot of what is said here about long distance running is naive and uninformed. (either that or my past coaches were just talking garbage.)

i don't want to be rude, because i know everyone here is older than me, and i especially don't want to be rude to any naval officers here (so sorry if any of you are offended- let me know in a pm and i'll send you a personal apology). i just want to share my information which is definitely different than a lot of what i am reading here and which i feel is an itsy bitsy teensy little bit more correct.

:icon_hamm :D

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't take offense, and I think that if OP phrased his question something like "I'm at 19.5 min for the 3 mi run and want to get an extra 1.5 min out, what do I do" then you'd have some sound advice for him. It's just that what you are writing is not geared for a beginner.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I don't take offense, and I think that if OP phrased his question something like "I'm at 19.5 min for the 3 mi run and want to get an extra 1.5 min out, what do I do" then you'd have some sound advice for him. It's just that what you are writing is not geared for a beginner.

ok. well, i'm glad you didn't take offense, because no offense was intended :D

i think i would almost agree with your last comment.

i'm going to change what i said before though. you are right about one thing- as a runner you tend to forget some of the earlier challenges of running, so i did overlook one phase. i think you are right only about one phase of learning how to run long distance- the aerobic limited phase.

what i mean is that if you are getting out of breath as you run 3.0mi and you can't run any faster because of aerobic issues, then i think you are completely right. basic steps are needed just to get you to run at your peak, because you are being limited by aerobic capacity. i'm sure you know what i'm talking about and have seen these types of people. they huff and puff and move at a slow jog and look like any second they could have a heart attack. it's not that they can't run any faster, but that if they push themselves to go any faster, they might just collapse. but if they were asked to run as fast as they can over a shorter 50 yard distance, they could probably move their legs a bit faster. such people need to just do more cardio and aerobic training and maybe not so much pure running until they can run the 3mi without getting out of breath. ok, i've not given any good advice how to get to that point, but i don't really know what to say about this (maybe stew smith has more advice on how to get to the point where you aren't all out of breath during your run)

but if you are breathing well over your 3.0mi run and you feel like the problem is just that you simply can't move your legs any faster and they feel a little like lead, well then that's where i think it is important to build your base, do interval training, fartleks, hill running, and other stuff like this. and this is really the domain that a real running coach (and training plans from real running coaches) shines. because real running coaches are focusing on getting people to move their legs a little bit faster then they could before.

so as you mentioned, if you are going from 19:30 to 18:00, the problem is probably not that you are having aerobic problems, the problems are probably more anaerobic (like lactic acid build up and other stuff) and then definitely that 19:30 runner could use a "real" training plan to get him to lose the last 1:30 mins.

The PRT/PFT is not just a timed event, but it's a standardized time event. In other words, the candidate knows going in what time he needs to beat to earn a certain score. In a race, you have to beat the other people competing, who could run any number of variable times.

well, i personally think that this is a difference without a difference, if you know what i mean. some of the best runners in the world don't "race against others", they "race against themselves". they will set new PR's even if their competitors all snooze.

as i already agreed before, the best times (those above 18:00 on the 3mi) are not interesting from a marine corps perspective- so that just means to me that someone who really wanted to perform his military best and strive for the perfect prt will never need more than an "intermediate" level long distance running training plan. but the links i provided before are all in this class of training plans. (advanced plans are customized for the individual runner and his or her physiology)

The act of actually running in the Marines is no different than any other running, I'll give you that, except for the fact that the candidates might be singing at the top of their lungs. But where is a person in the application process who is working a full-time job going to fit strength training into a workout regimen consisting of running 50 mi a week? If you are going to focus solely on the run, then you are going to run into a problem come OCS when you have to do pullups and situps. If you do a search on this site, you'll see a lot of threads started by people with that very problem.

this is a problem that high school and college cross-country runners deal with all the time. it's not called a 4:00am run for nothing! :censored_ :sleep_125 we have to run before school or late at night after homework, so of these two, morning is better.

but personally, this may be the reason i will drop cross-country running myself. i did say in a previous msg that 50mi/wk is a lot- it takes up a lot of time. as i've also mentioned to another frequent poster here in a PM, i am seriously considering whether or not i want to do varsity cross-country in college. 20:45 is my PR. my typical times have been lower. i'd really need to beat myself into shape in order to make the varsity team at the Virginia Military Institute and i just don't know if i shouldn't just focus on my studies instead. hard decision because i really love running, but it might just be too much to do. so life is full of trade offs i guess.

Again, to be clear, I do not agree with the advice you are giving members on this board about running, particularly those who have not run competitively in the past few years. This has nothing to do with your ability as a runner or what your coach has told you. You are a competitive runner, so your coach is giving you advice for someone who is already in top shape. The OP is not a competitive runner. It is unrealistic for someone who does not run cross-country to work up to 50 mi a week in a reasonable amount of time, nor does one have to work up to 50 mi a week to get a good score on the PFT (I define "good" as ~21 min or less). Telling someone that is harmful because one of two things results: 1. demotivation or 2. overtraining.

Does the OP need to run an 18 min 3 mi. run to get accepted into Marine OCS? (that wasn't rhetorical). If not, then it is unreasonable for him to set that goal as someone who does not run regularly. If he was already in the 20 min range and wanted to max out to maximize his chances of selection, that's a different story.

If it is, then the OP is probably looking at a good year or two of gearing up for maxing out the PFT. This is going to have to involve interval training, and not just working up to some insane amount of mileage per week. Yes, one should strive to do the best they can do, but it's also important to be realistic about your timeline and goals.

you are underestimating what a beginner can do. imagine a 13-14yo 9th grader talking to the high school cross country coach who is presenting at his or her middle school. this 9th grader decides they want to do cross country as a freshman. you know what that cross country coach gives that 9th grade beginner? a summer running plan that has a minimum of 20-25 miles per week in it! yes, this isn't 35-50mi/week (which by the way is more for college cross country runners, highschoolers target 30-45mi/week because running too much is thought to maybe stunt your growth), but it is probably more than what i assume you are thinking.

if a 13-14yo can do 25 mi/week in the summer before 9th grade, i think a big strong 25yo can do at least 30-35mi/week. just my feeling. ;)

EDIT: one last comment on this- i also think that it is perfectly realistic in half a year to be able to reach 18:00 for a guy and 21:00 for a girl, and in high school cross country, i've seen freshman runners do it. sure, being naturally gifted helps, but so also good training! that is why i keep pointing at the plans from the real running coaches! because good coaches can easily tease even 3-4 mins out of a 5km run out a cross-country runner in a single season (cross country season is fall-only)! sure, you aren't going to get to 18:00 in 6mo if you are now running only 28:00. but if you are a girl with a PR of 23:30, do i think a good training plan could get you to a PR of 21:00 and a 100pts on the pft in just 6 months? yes! absolutely!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm glad we are starting to see eye-to-eye.

Just one more thing: most people asking for advice on this site aren't 13-14 years old, so their bodies aren't going to adapt to sudden stress as easily. The most common threads I see are college students or graduates asking for advice on the PRT for OCS, so that puts them in the early 20s range.

And yes, a 25 year-old can do 30 mi a week if he works up to it. The key is to work up to it properly.

phrogpilot73

I tend to agree with the INTENT of Spekkio's message, not necessarily the tone. Yes, you have some good points with regard to training for distance running. However, as he points out - there is a difference between a PRT/PFT and competitive running. The big difference is that competitive running involves a race, and your time in that race is the only factor in determining your performance.

A PRT/PFT has multiple factors involved in determing your performance. People like Stew Smith, while maybe not focusing on pure running performance, are focusing on maximizing your scores on all the events. Therefore, some of your run training might have to suffer.

Consider this:

A 21 year old male takes your advice and runs 50 miles per week and rocks out with a sub 18-minute mile. However, because of all the other things he's committed to (school, extracurricular activities, what have you), he doesn't have the opportunity to devote as much time to the other aspects of the PFT (I'm using PFT, because it's what I'm used to). He ends up getting 85 situps, and 15 pullups (still not bad). His score is: 260.

Another 21 year old male hates running decides to go with Stew Smith's plan (realizing that most of the points come from situps and pullups) and doesn't focus on running (still does it, but not as much as 50 miles per week). He takes the "max, max, relax" approach that every Marine is accustomed to. He rocks the situps and pullups, getting 100 situps and 20 pullups. He doesn't do as hot on the run, getting a 23:00. What's his score? A 270. Better than the guy that did all the running.

This illustrates the difference between a competitive run and the PFT/PRT. 200 out of the 300 points in the Marine Corps come from situps & pullups. That means if you can do 20/100, you can barely pass the run and still get a 240.