• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chest cramps

tmccarron

Hi, in preparing for PRT, I think I may have ramped up too fast. I have weight trained for strength (e.g., low reps) for years now with a minimal amount of cardio. I am very capable of good times but the past two nights I have ran, I have suffered from chest cramps that are dehabilitating my times & morale. I'm starting to feel like they are getting worse, not better. Last FridayI hit a 9:45 1.5m. Today I barely squeezed out a 12:30 1.5m before being in puke danger. Does anyone have some suggestions for eliminating (preferably) or alleviating this issue? Please dont say rest :(:(

This is my workout schedule as of 4 weeks ago and running:
Sun: rest
Mon: weights (back), 1.5m time as fast as possible
Tue: calisthenics & PRT pushups/situps
Wed: weights (legs), 4-5m at ~8min/mile pace
Thr: same as Tues
Fri: weights (chest/shoulders), 1.5m as fast as possible
Sat: rest

Diet is decent but not quite as varied as it could be, slight caloric deficit so I can get as lean as possible for anthro reasons... take a multivitamin, glucosamine & 40-50g supplemented protein per day + food. If you have a few minutes, I would be enthralled to hear from someone regarding this. TY

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Today I barely squeezed out a 12:30 1.5m before being in puke danger. Does anyone have some suggestions for eliminating (preferably) or alleviating this issue?

does anyone think that getting close to puking on a prt is actually a problem? because varsity runners often puke. i've done it myself. one of the best runners in my high school once puked several times during a single 5k cross-country race without missing a beat. coaches often ask varsity runners to run hard enough to puke.

i think running so hard on a prt that you almost (or actually do) puke shows heart.

true, if you are puking with only a 12:30, this is not good.

(let's see, how many times did i use the word, puke, above? lol! :icon_lol: )

BackOrdered

Contributor
I had chest pains once but for other reasons. Honestly, this is a tough one because your PT routine seems sound. Your run time tells me you aren't a beginner either. But going from 9:45 to 12 range in under a week is a very drastic drop. How long have you been weight lifting? Are you just now mixing it into your PT routine?

tmccarron

tiz84, I've been strength (weight) training for almost 7 years now. It's the running that has been reintroduced to me recently, as of 4 weeks ago. Prior to that, I would do cardio sparingly; insomuch, I would do elliptical in 1 once a week, tops. My body isn't tired... but jeez do these chest cramps really hurt my times.. if not cramping, I think I might be capable of much more.

Spekkio, ... I don't know. I would think so between my daily multivitamin, 2 bananas and there is probably some in my whey supplement. I do not measure it though. Now that you say it, I've heard that potassium deficiency can cause cramps...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Diet is decent but not quite as varied as it could be, slight caloric deficit so I can get as lean as possible for anthro reasons... take a multivitamin, glucosamine & 40-50g supplemented protein per day + food. If you have a few minutes, I would be enthralled to hear from someone regarding this. TY

Are you getting enough potassium and sodium?

I'm more concerned with his water intake. How much are you drinking and when.

You also need to define "chest cramp." Muscular? Internal? Stitch?

tmccarron

Just perused the nutrition labels... I would placed an estimate at about 1,200mg per day based on multi, ON whey, 2 bananas and a buffer for whatever misc. foods provide. Is that too little? Based a 2k calorie diet, that sits me at about 60%.. so I guess I need get some more bananas.

Zab, I try to get at least 2 gallons per day. 16 oz increments at work up through ~6pm then some light carbs before my workout. The best way I can describe it is a cramp on the right side of my chest just above my right oblique.. pretty much where my right lung is.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
2:00+ drop in a week and chest pains severe enough to slow you down or stop you? Go get checked out. There are times to man up and push through, and there are times to throw in the towel and get looked at. Chest pains are not something you want to mess around with.

JJCaesar

pilot
I would highly recommend, at minimum, calling a doc and describing what you have experienced - especially the reduced cardio ability related to the chest "cramps".

tmccarron

I dont feel any light headedness... just a cramping feeling on one side. I will consult a physician I guess. I have feeling he's just going to tell me to rest then ask for a co-pay haha.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yea, you really need to get checked out in person. Since you are just getting back in to running, my guess is that the cramps are caused by the recent use of muscles which you haven't used in a long time. Go see a doc just to be sure.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a side-stitch that comes from breathing incorrectly. Probably an easy fix, but I would get it checked out, it's worth te trip to make sure you are healthy and get advice that might allow to you improve your scores.