• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"CARRIER" Series on Hulu

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I think what ASR meant was that calling it "carrier" and spending, even on the enlisted side, a majority of the time on less the 1/2 of the crew was kinda jacked. I understand they can't video the Nuke plant, but only 1 or 2 episodes (been a while) on those ratings not directly involved in the flight deck? You could do an entire episode on how they run medical if you wanted....and if you want ratings, from what I can tell with my sister in law, every day as an HM is drama.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would have been even better titled "VFA Squadron." After watching that I don't think the public would have understood that there are actually other planes on the carrier besides hornets.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It would have been even better titled "VFA Squadron." After watching that I don't think the public would have understood that there are actually other planes on the carrier besides hornets.

I didn't realize this. Do you have links to support claim? :)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor

I don't think thats a fair statement... One of the Hornet guys got flown off the boat in a COD.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I didn't realize this. Do you have links to support claim? :)

Helo Conops is the future!

Two helo squadrons for my CVW friends!

More helo spots on the carrier!

3710507474_ef9b43a7dd_b.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

It's been a while since I watched it but I remember seeing a Prowler launching off the deck too.

Wasn’t this filmed around the time the Government was going to quit funding PBS? That could have affected what they decided to air. :icon_wink

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know if the nugget hornet driver who got fnaeb'd kept his wings or not?
Can't speak to the case in the movie, as I have no clue, and it's none of my business anyway. But according to the OPNAV instruction, a B(2) finding (loss of the right to wear wings) is appropriate if one "brings disgrace upon Naval Aviation" or "willfully violates" rules and regulations, according to the OPNAVINST. Google can't find a copy, and I don't feel like scanning it.

Of course, in the end, it's the (big) Air Boss's call. Whether you are retained in a flying status is another story.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't speak to the case in the movie, as I have no clue, and it's none of my business anyway. But according to the OPNAV instruction, a B(2) finding (loss of the right to wear wings) is appropriate if one "brings disgrace upon Naval Aviation" or "willfully violates" rules and regulations, according to the OPNAVINST. Google can't find a copy, and I don't feel like scanning it.

Of course, in the end, it's the (big) Air Boss's call. Whether you are retained in a flying status is another story.

In other words a FNAEB can end your flying career in various (and as I understand it, more common) ways without actually pulling your wings. Or it can end with you returning to flying status with your original unit, in the same airframe as well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
In other words a FNAEB can end your flying career in various (and as I understand it, more common) ways without actually pulling your wings. Or it can end with you returning to flying status with your original unit, in the same airframe as well.

FNAEBs are required after major mishaps and can be done at basically any time at the discretion of the CO. All it is is an evaluation board. If after a mishap, they find that the individual wasn't at fault (the hatch just blew), then back to the fight. If they find that the individual screwed it away or made poor decisions, they can either take you off of flying status but you still get to wear the wings or they can send you to another platform. Finally, if you really screw it away, they can not only stop your flying career, but take the wings off your chest. To actually "lose your wings", the actions in question had to bring disgrace to Naval Aviation.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags pretty much nailed it; the only thing to add is that once a FNAEB/FNFOEB is convened, the wheels are set in motion, and it has to go all the way up the chop chain to TYCOM level for final adjudication. This can take months. Anything that results in you staying in your community is the final choice of the TYCOM. Anything that results in you being transferred to another community, or losing your flight status (with or without wings), has to have BUPERS concurrence. So either way, it's a process involving your CO, Commodore/CAG, an Admiral's staff, an Admiral, and the folks at Millington. All have the option to haul you in to interview you in person. It's not unheard of for people to have orders cut to sit on the other end of a long table from an O-9 before all is said and done.

IIRC, the FNAEB from a mishap can be waived at CO's discretion if the mishap board finds the aircrew not culpable (engine blows up or something).

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
There are billboards around here that are advertising the 'new' Carrier series on PBS. Are they just re-releasing it?