• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier - A 10 episode PBS Series

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm, a Navy guy changing a pic of a (highly qualified) hot chick with one of a fat chick... weird... :D

Which reminds me, ever notice how it seems that Navy guys always marry fat chicks? :icon_wink

Not all of us my friend.

Isn't the perfect USAF wife, three feet tall, with a flat head, no teeth, big ears...and filthy rich?

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Not all of us my friend.

Isn't the perfect USAF wife, three feet tall, with a flat head, no teeth, big ears...and filthy rich?

You're forgetting a few things there, but in the interests of keeping it SFW, I'll leave those points to your imagination...

To guide the points away from where it's probably going, it does not include anything involving circus acts, animal shows, or leaving a box of laundry soap on the window sill -- that's for the Navy wives :icon_tong

brownshoe

Contributor
Yeah, but I looked at this thread earlier in the day and I saw that it was the infamous Air Force girl in her cami trou, boots, and a blue bikini top covering a rather... ahem... well endowed... chest, sitting on top of a bomb. But yes, I see what you see now; I think a Mod has since changed it as a joke...

I see the picture now:) Um... what bomb?:D

Steve

GroundPounder

I'm comming from an Army point of view, but I'm assuming that the filmmakers are going out of their way to find the disgruntled folks? It seems to me that they are giving a misleading view of the " average " sailor and their attitude.

I do think that the backgrounds of many of the enlisted would be an eye opener to anyone who hasn't served though, it is incredible how squared away they are when they had every excuse to go down the same path as most of their peers back home.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Does anyone else feel like they are mostly highlighting the lives of the crew who are 19, from broken homes, dislike their job or the Navy (or both), etc.? It makes it sound like a freakin' juvenile delinquent center or something.

That IS the crew of an aircraft carrier. The AVERAGE age of the crew on a carrier is about 19.5. If you think that the air department is full of hard chargers from white middle class America, you are mistaken.
I think the show is great so far. As previously mentioned, someone has finally broken the mold of the "Carrier, Fortress at Sea" flick that plays on Discovery 15 times a year and feeds you a bunch of garbage you already know.

Amall

That IS the crew of an aircraft carrier. The AVERAGE age of the crew on a carrier is about 19.5. If you think that the air department is full of hard chargers from white middle class America, you are mistaken.
I think the show is great so far. As previously mentioned, someone has finally broken the mold of the "Carrier, Fortress at Sea" flick that plays on Discovery 15 times a year and feeds you a bunch of garbage you already know.

I understand that the majority of the military IS that age range and are from various backgrounds. What can be frustrating is that when the general population is non-military and has little to no exposure to persons in the military, they see the media portray military personnel as the kid that joined to get out of trouble, or the kid from a broken home. I agree that is very impressive that these people have chosen to join and get themselves on the straight and narrow. However, for someone who is a middle America, college educated person who chooses and works hard to get into the military through OCS, Academy or rotc instead of pursuing a career in something more commercial or "ordinary" (business, etc.) it can be frustrating for people to say "why would you want to do that?" because all they see in the military is the kid from your HS class with failing grades and nowhere else to go.

All that being said, the series has been showing personnel from all walks of life as its progressed so that gripe is gone.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Quite frankly I like the show. It's a side of military life that you don't get to see in the civilian world. All they see is Top Gun, Jag, Black Hawk Down, and all the other Hollywood versions of the military. They don't see that behind the uniforms are human beings who come from a variety of backgrounds and face a variety of challenges. If you ask me, the series is doing an outstanding job of putting a human face on the sailors aboard the Nimitz.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm comming from an Army point of view, but I'm assuming that the filmmakers are going out of their way to find the disgruntled folks? It seems to me that they are giving a misleading view of the " average " sailor and their attitude.

I do think that the backgrounds of many of the enlisted would be an eye opener to anyone who hasn't served though, it is incredible how squared away they are when they had every excuse to go down the same path as most of their peers back home.

Might be the case I think. Even though I'm a prior COD guy, I've spent almost about a year onboard the boat back in the VAW-30....oops VRC-30 day/night ops period. As an OIC of two Detachment deployments as well, I would say about 10-15% are disgruntled and just like the show, same sort of attitude. Film those 5-7 folks out of my det of 50 people or so, one would certainly get a misleading view. Certainly an eye opener of backgrounds, attitudes, histories, etc. Even with the officers. Funny too with the one Black Ace pilot, kind of different view on the whole Iraqi thing, we had one pilot who was a HUGE liberal. We used to pummel him when he would bring up his political views. He was a good dude though and great avaitor. Flew T-45's in Kingsville and got just about every qual as a C-2 guy. Just kind of funny how the show demonstrates not much changes. Overall, I like the show.