• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Car choice and moving

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Corvette is the most awesomest car ever!!!!

Okay we get it, you think Corvettes are nice, that's great. Did you really need to waste that much time telling us about it? The OP ain't getting a Corvette, maybe you need to spend less time on AW and more time here.

Ummmm, you really need to look a little closer, the Mustang and Caprice appear twice and the Thunderbird appears three times on the list (at least their names do).

So when you say a 4 cylinder destroys a muscle car, it just shows you really have not spent time under the hood of a car, or understanding, how a car functions INHO.

Okay Mr. Clarkson, simmer down now.

Scruff

None
Contributor
I walk in automotive shops (GM dealerships included) every single day for my job and I can tell you this...There are PLENTY of corvettes that have PLENTY of problems all across the board. Yes they are a good car for the HP/$, but please don't act as they're God's gift.

it just shows you really have not spent time under the hood of a car, or understanding, how a car functions INHO.

I'm sorry, but all you did here was type out some stats that anybody could find on the internet. I would LOVE for you to entertain us with how much "under the hood" knowledge you have of engines and drivetrains...

m26

Contributor
So when you say a 4 cylinder destroys a muscle car, it just shows you really have not spent time under the hood of a car, or understanding, how a car functions INHO.

Ok, so I stopped reading your rant about halfway through, but since Flash pointed it out, perhaps I should respond.

GARRETT. WHEN A CAR REACHES 60 MPH BEFORE ANOTHER, WE SAY IT ACCELERATES FASTER. WHEN IT HAS A HIGHER TOP SPEED, WE SAY IT IS FASTER. WHEN YOU SAY THAT THAT'S NOT TRUE BECAUSE IT HAS FEWER CYLINDERS, WE SAY YOU HAVE NO DAMN CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Listen, time to simmer down, amigo. Different engines excel at different things, and a V8 is not best at all times and in all places. The only thing I said was that the turbo-4 on the STI beat the V8 Mustang in one road test, which is .

Your corvettes are great for you, I'm sure, but I don't want one, even if I could afford one. Right now I just want a car to get myself around town, to base, to the mountains, and also take my stuff on 4 cross-county trips in the next year and a half. I don't need a muscle car for that.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Okay we get it, you think Corvettes are nice, that's great. Did you really need to waste that much time telling us about it? The OP ain't getting a Corvette, maybe you need to spend less time on AW and more time here.

I've been a member there for years, and spend too much time on that site... Thanks for the link though.

I walk in automotive shops (GM dealerships included) every single day for my job and I can tell you this...There are PLENTY of corvettes that have PLENTY of problems all across the board. Yes they are a good car for the HP/$, but please act as they're God's gift.

I'm sorry, but all you did here was type out some stats that anybody could find on the internet. I would LOVE for you to entertain us with how much "under the hood" knowledge you have of engines and drivetrains...

I'm not saying I know much, but in my current project / car I swapped my LS1 w/ an LS6, installed some long tubes among other things... More than most can do w/ confidence...

GS-W

AH-1 W
So you don't own a Z06 but you like to say you do. Nice.

ITs called an FRC. I would just say that but 99% of the people don't know what an FRC is. Unless people know a thing or two about vettes I dont want to explain hows the FRC is lighter than the c5, suspension package, etc, when I can just say Z06. Mine is pushing about 475RWHP though which is pretty fun. Is that your C6Z? My best friend plays for university of louisville's football, has a Z06 too. He says he sees very few vettes out there.

jtmedli

pilot
As for the highlander? It's not a bad crossover. It's built on the camry chassis, rides really smooth, and is big enough inside to comfortably seat 5 full size adults plus bags. With AWD it'll get you from a-b, even if there is some snow in between. I like them, and as far as mommy mobiles go, it's not a bad one. If you're a dude, check out a 4 Runner instead.

Highlanders are pretty nice. My 4runner has been bulletproof. I got it with 65K on it and I've put another 65K on it with little more than oil changes and tire change. No problems to speak of and none in the forseeable future. You'll regularly see 4runners with 300K plus on them. Great trucks and I've pulled some pretty hefty trailers packed with my junk with it and it did great. My 4Runner is an '01 and it's not a beast in the HP category, but I can do anything I want to do and still get 23-25mpg on the highway. I'm happy with it!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So many people just read a magazine here and there, watch youtube videos of peoples cars, or can install exhaust on their civic, and think they understand cars. Yes, I am corvette biased, my grandpa worked for GM and corvette racing for 45 years, and i was raised w multiple vettes consistently in the family, but when it comes down to it, most car companies will change their car every 2 years, upping HP, torque, technology, corvette doesnt change its body on average for about 10 years. So when you see a vette it is usually "old technology" compared to a new porsche you see driving around, and it still outperforms, and out lasts others in its class. So when you say a 4 cylinder destroys a muscle car, it just shows you really have not spent time under the hood of a car, or understanding, how a car functions INHO.

I've seen 4 and 5 cyl turbos that would destroy a stock vette in any driving comparison, hands down. Nothing wrong with a nice big V8 (hell, I have two small German sedans with big V8's shoehorned into them.......RWD, one with traction control, one with nothing other than a quaife LSD to keep me out of the trees), but there are OTHER options out there. Saying that anything other than a big block piece of American muscle doesn't compare, simply shows how one-sided your argument is. I've spent plenty of time under the hood (and other places) of my cars, and judging by your comments, could probably enlighten you quite a bit about european cars and your misconceptions about them. Pretty sure I'm not the only one on this forum who has applied a good deal of elbow grease to their car. I get your enthusiasm for American muscle, but it is not the end-all be-all of automotive excellence.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There have been a lot of great Corvettes and I'm not gonna dispute that, but Motor Trend Car of the Year is the last thing I would cite to support this... just sayin'... some infamous winners on that list include:

Chevy Vega (worst car GM ever built and also a good case study of lots of things not to do in a business)
Renault Alliance (final nail in the coffin of AMC)
Chevy Citation (second worst car GM ever built)
Ford Mustang II (seriously... the "Pinto Mustang")
Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare (aka how to turn off repeat customers away from your company for life)
Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon (was this really the best thing to come out in 1978)

:O

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There have been a lot of great Corvettes and I'm not gonna dispute that, but Motor Trend Car of the Year is the last thing I would cite to support this... just sayin'... some infamous winners on that list include:

Chevy Vega (worst car GM ever built and also a good case study of lots of things not to do in a business)
Renault Alliance (final nail in the coffin of AMC)
Chevy Citation (second worst car GM ever built)
Ford Mustang II (seriously... the "Pinto Mustang")
Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare (aka how to turn off repeat customers away from your company for life)
Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon (was this really the best thing to come out in 1978)

:O

No... ask Lewis Black.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
In the process of looking for a Volvo SUV for Lady Boomhower.

Brief thread resurrection, as if anybody gives a shit, but I am proud of myself. Therefore, I will boast.

We test drove the Volvo. Dull, boring, not much to it. Unfortunately, for my wallet, it was parked right next to a black 2008 Audi Q7 Quattro. That car is downright sexy. It has more bells and whistles than anything I've ever driven. Handles great, feels smooth, the whole shebang. I am the one guy out there that doesn't usually like the way German cars steer. But, this one feels great.

This is the first time I've ever bought a car without researching the hell out of it so I'm a bit nervous. I know nothing about the thing. I know nothing about Audis, in general. But, Lady Boomhower is happy. And, when Mama is happy...

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Watch some GT1. Why dont you see 6 cylinder, or 4 cylinder cars racing?

I think you need to pay more attention to GT1...

lmpcars651-1-thumb.jpg

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
And to the OP, get a truck.

Reason being? ask anyone who drives a sedan how many cases of beer they've gotten for helping a friend move a couch. :D

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
And to the OP, get a truck.

Reason being? ask anyone who drives a sedan how many cases of beer they've gotten for helping a friend move a couch. :D

Yeah, beer is so expensive these days to make up for the money spent on gas with the truck . . .

m26

Contributor
Yeah, beer is so expensive these days to make up for the money spent on gas with the truck . . .

Not to mention the actual moving of the couch.

If anything, this says to me I should get a sedan, since if I have to haul something I can mooch off a buddy for just a case of beer.