• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Car choice and moving

m26

Contributor
I don't think you understand. Modded beyond belief? I'm talking factory stock to factory stock. Yeah, it's a turbo, I get that. Are you thinking my position is that less cylinders = more power? Of course you get more power with a bigger engine, but my point is that a basic factory engine with a 4 can achieve top-end performance, even besting an American V-8 muscle car IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Oh, and Subarus are extremely popular for rally racing. And the Porsche 911 uses a 6. Take off the blinders, man, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As for reliability, surely you jest. This stuff is tracked, you know, by JD Power, CR, Auto Information Services, etc. Every brand has their high and low points, but in general the Big 3 have turned out some real garbage in recent times (see: any Dodge or Pontiac sedan 1997-2004).

So anyway, having looked around for a few days, I'm looking at the following:

Ford Fusion: $23,200
Nissan Altima: $23,500
Subaru Forester: $25,000
Subaru Outback: $28,000
Toyota Rav4: $28,000
Acura TSX: $28,500

Thoughts, suggestions?

If you're thinking Toyota, go with the 4Runner. It's bigger, can tow considerably more, and has the 8cyl option.

The Rav4 is also on a Camry frame (and has about as much offroad capability), and the 4Runner isn't being recalled, haha.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could go on for days but the point is CR sucks. If you want a great toaster, fine, see what CR has to say. If you want a nice car, you are going to have to do some more research. If you really want to see some CR hate, fine a Suzuki Samurai enthusiast forum and ask them what they think about CR.

What about the fact they test drive cars themselves? They were very strong about not recommending the first years of the Nissan Murano because of a consistent issue that their own test drivers encountered repeatedly. As for the Suzuki Samurai, was that supposed to be a real car or a Matchbox one?

And I still think American cars are just as reliable as any Asian. Just because one magazine says that, other magazines will stand by the American brands. Its an opinion. My opinion I'll go with the American.

Opinions are like assholes.......;)

As for reliability, surely you jest. This stuff is tracked, you know, by JD Power, CR, Auto Information Services, etc. Every brand has their high and low points, but in general the Big 3 have turned out some real garbage in recent times (see: any Dodge or Pontiac sedan 1997-2004).

Yeah, what m26 said.

Not when its certified pre owned with an all inclusive warranty to 100k. BMW here I come...I'm looking at you 2-3 year old M3s/335s!

BMW's are a great ride and I love driving them, just be prepared to pay for that experience, even with a nice warranty.

Triumph57

The Suzuki Samurai was horribly unreliable, uncomfortable and poorly designed and built all around. That is not the point though. CR blasted it for all of that, but that wasn't good enough for them. The Samurai looks like it has a much higher center of gravity than it really does. So CR decided it must be roll over prone. They tested it versus the Jeep Wrangler and a few other small SUVs I forget in a high speed lane change. The Samurai was actually the most stable. So they tested just the Samurai in a much faster (unreasonably fast) test. This time they got it to flip and released a whole special issue about how the Samurai was dangerous and no one should buy it. Samurai enthusiasts, who like it because, while terrible stock, it is a really good starting point for a stripped down dune buggy style rock crawler are happy to tell you about all this.

N9148Q

Contributor
Get a truck. Not sure if I would buy one of the new diesels though a lightly used 7.3 would be money. I have a 2000 F250 with a 7.3 and just hit 350,000 miles. I own a contrstuction company and work the truck to death day in and day out no problems still runs perfect. I change the oil put tires on it now and then and that is it. Still runs great and get 20 mpg out of it. So buy the truck then go get a trailer and a fun car or one that gets great mpg for everday use if you dont wanna drive the truck. Now you have the best of both worlds and when you move truck takes everything with you including the other car. Oh and you can fit a ton of stuff or people in a crew cab truck.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So CR decided it must be roll over prone. They tested it versus the Jeep Wrangler and a few other small SUVs I forget in a high speed lane change. The Samurai was actually the most stable. So they tested just the Samurai in a much faster (unreasonably fast) test. This time they got it to flip and released a whole special issue about how the Samurai was dangerous and no one should buy it. Samurai enthusiasts, who like it because, while terrible stock, it is a really good starting point for a stripped down dune buggy style rock crawler are happy to tell you about all this.

To ascribe that much of a conspiracy to them is a bit much. And probably incorrect too since it subsequently came to light that Suzuki itself was aware of issues with the Samurai, as was GM before it, but sold the vehicle anyways.

One shouldn't rely on a single source of info getting a car anyways. CR is just one data point to use when looking at buying a car, go to any bookstore or search on the internet for all the info you want, there is plenty of it. Ask family, friends and your internet buddies on Airwarriors. Then go out and test drive a few models, figure out which one will get you the most tail and then throw your money away. If doesn't turn out so well, buy a new one. And if you get a Miata, SmartCar, minivan or moped just expect ot be the butt of many jokes in your wardroom as well as getting your man card revoked (if you are a dude). In the end get what you want and be happy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
BMW's are a great ride and I love driving them, just be prepared to pay for that experience, even with a nice warranty.

Yea, I've got a friend with an M3. I think his 75000 mile service was around 1300 bucks... not certified pre owned, but still...

BigRed389

None
Any 4 cylinder car can "destroy" any natural aspirated stock cobra.

Here's what you don't understand. Any 4 cylinder car going that fast is turbocharged and modded beyond belief, if you mod a corvette say that much, you have a GT1 race car. Yea you can take a minivan, and make it run 10's. Means nothing. A natural aspirated STI... would get spanked by me... on foot... So when you look at fast cars, you look at Corvettes, Astin Martins etc. Watch some GT1. Why dont you see 6 cylinder, or 4 cylinder cars racing? Because no matter what you do to them, they wont compete with the C6-R or the DB9-R. So yea you may see a civic beat an occasional muscle car, but I have never seen a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder beat a naturally aspirated 8 cylinder.

And I still think American cars are just as reliable as any Asian. Just because one magazine says that, other magazines will stand by the American brands. Its an opinion. My opinion I'll go with the American.

And the answer to that is....who gives a shit.

Your average consumer doesn't race or drive exotic sports cars OR tune stock cars. Sure, Detroit muscle is great, but that's not their average product.

And true reliability isn't "opinion." It breaks or it doesn't.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
And the entire middle east stood up to applaud this photo :) :

And those of us in the Oil Bidness in Texas!

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Most of my time in the Navy I drove a 2000 Chevy Z-71 Pickup. I loved that truck. But, I didn't own a house, yet, and I just didn't use the "truck" part of it as much as I would have liked. When I empregnated Lady Boomhower, we started looking at the back seat (extended cab) and decided that the tiny backseat wouldn't work for a car seat. So, I got (and still have) a Suburban. I have absolutely loved that damn thing. I can haul a ton of crap. The mileage isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can get about 20 on the highway, not great, but not the end of the world, either. And can tow just about anything and it works great off-road. Makes for a pretty good deer blind, too!

The problem is that I refuse to buy another GM, so I don't know what I will do when I drive the wheels off of this one. Since Ford quit making the Excursion, I'm not sure where to go since the Expedition XL looks a little weak to me.

On the New v. Used debate, I go for the one year used. If you look hard enough, you can come across some good deals. In the process of looking for a Volvo SUV for Lady Boomhower.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
On the New v. Used debate, I go for the one year used. If you look hard enough, you can come across some good deals. In the process of looking for a Volvo SUV for Lady Boomhower.

What is it with Volvo's and women? My wife loves hers, even though the thing has been nothing but ass pain for me (4 trips to the Volvo dealership for a check engine light which is still unresolved), and she wants the Volvo SUV next. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
What is it with Volvo's and women?

It's the big "Male" symbol behind the logo. It's like they're buying a phallus of their very own.

Either that or the name just sounds too much like "Vulva" for them to think it won't screw them in the end.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
What is it with Volvo's and women? My wife loves hers, even though the thing has been nothing but ass pain for me (4 trips to the Volvo dealership for a check engine light which is still unresolved), and she wants the Volvo SUV next. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent.

It's the big "Male" symbol behind the logo. It's like they're buying a phallus of their very own.

Either that or the name just sounds too much like "Vulva" for them to think it won't screw them in the end.

Silly me, I was thinking that it was for its safety record since women are bad drivers. :icon_smil:icon_wink