• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Scott Speicher - KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try traitors. A small, but well publicized, group of American PoWs refused rapatriation after the war. Call it brainwashing or what you will. At least a couple are there to the present day.

As the article that FlyinSpy linked states he is one of 4 American soldiers who defected across the DMZ in the 60's. The only other one still alive is Charles Jenkins and he lives with his Japanese wife, who had been kidnapped by North Korean agents, and their kids in Japan. He was released to Japan in 2004 and served 24 days for desertion and aiding the enemy.

Most of the American defectors from the Korean War either returned to the US in the 50's or 60's or moved to other countries around the same time. Apparently only one stayed through the cultural revolution. Wikipedia seems to have a pretty good list, they seem to have gotten some of their info from this article on page 10.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, I've prepared myself for blank stares. Has anyone else read this and immediately thought of Tom Robbins' "Villa Incognito"?

Read, but not thoroughly enjoyed. Tom is a favorite author of mine, but his last few books have been kind of lackluster. /Tjack

Brett

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That's quite a big event in the history of these sorts of things. It's outstanding that they even have a local oral history of the event, and that he was never in the hands of the Iraqi government.

I wonder what compelled the locals to even mention it?

Owen

RIP Speicher....What I'll always remember was the
tears from his daughter's eyes and the look on her
face when I took the POW/MIA bracelet off my
wrist and put it on hers just after the flyover in
his honor at NNAM.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Wow. Finally. I met a cadaver dog and his handler told me they just got back from Iraq looking for CAPT Speicher this past friday night. He didn't say much else, and I didn't ask, but it's good to hear.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
May God bless his soul and his family

Status
Not open for further replies.