• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Scott Speicher - KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade One

None
Very good and informative post on the process. Thanks for the education.
V/R, Spike (er...another Spike, I guess...)

navyao

My error...Although I do have a maintenance background, I always had the understanding that total loss of a/c and or crew was considered a Class A Mishap, regardless how it occurred. I'm still learning! Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My error...Although I do have a maintenance background, I always had the understanding that total loss of a/c and or crew was considered a Class A Mishap, regardless how it occurred. I'm still learning! Thanks.

True story from a Black Pony during their heyday. An OV-10 was damaged in a hard landing and rather than write up mishap report, a pistol was drawn and fired into offending broken strut thereby making it "combat damage". Makes it harder to reconcile causal factors when Mishap reports are so detailed and Combat losses are not. I can attest that you are rather busy during combat operations and there's scarcely time to conduct a Mishap Board or JAG Investigation.

Bevo16

pilot
Seems that the USN Review Board for CAPT Scott Speicher has just adjorned today, and recommended that his current MIA/Captured status should remain in effect, and that the search for more info should continue. Their recommendation now goes to SECNAV Winter for his final decision.

exhelodrvr

pilot

It didn't used to be; it used to be a dollar amount, but some aircraft could be a total loss and not meet that criteria, so they changed it to also apply to total loss of an aircraft.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It didn't used to be; it used to be a dollar amount, but some aircraft could be a total loss and not meet that criteria, so they changed it to also apply to total loss of an aircraft.
IIRC, it is damage in excess of $1M, total loss of a/c, or injuries which cause death or permanent disability.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Nice post. Still hear/read about him quite a bit in the fightertown O clubs. Certainly not forgotten.

Huggy Bear

pilot
For all the hub-hub about him pre-invasion there was never much public follow up. After 6 years in Iraq we must know something.

Bevo16

pilot
For all the hub-hub about him pre-invasion there was never much public follow up. After 6 years in Iraq we must know something.

The public does not need to know the details of what was learned. The immediate family members get briefed, and that is it.

Owen

Speicher's fate

Key point gentlemen. Where indeed is Speicher? I have read Yarsinke's book and spoken with her. She is aware of what transpired at NNAM on Friday. Based on what I've been told, the book, and some other sources I believe he was, for a time, during Iraqi Freedom, in Syria. But that's just a guess and I have no idea whether he is alive today. Everyone needs to get and read a copy of Yarsinke's book. It will make your blood boil and if half of what she alleges true, some heads need to roll.

When we started the planning for the Speicher Hornet part of the intent was to raise awareness of what happened and for that to generate pressure on the govt to find out. We just left that guy! Here is what I would like to see happen:

1. We need to learn from this and never just leave a guy behind. There needs to never be another "Speicher Incident".

2 Everyone on this board needs to contact the White House and their Senators/Congressmen to find the answers. That family needs to know. If you could have seen the look in Speicher's daughter's eyes when I took the POW bracelet off my wrist and onto hers you'd write those letters today.

Below are links to email Obama and Biden. I don't have a universal
link for Congress.

president@whitehouse.gov <president@whitehouse.gov>

vice.president@whitehouse.gov

Huggy Bear

pilot
The public does not need to know the details of what was learned. The immediate family members get briefed, and that is it.

Well, I am a part of the "public" now, but I am also a hornet bubba and flew in Iraq. Consider it curiosity and well wishes for a comrade in arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.