• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C vs. E/F

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rarely FMC? I beg to differ. My first cruise we maintained a 98.9% FMC capable fleet (Lot 15's). Be careful about saying rarely FMC. My last cruise we were 99.5% FMC with Lot21's.

This just sounds suspect to me. You mean out of a 180 day cruise (or however long it was), no jets broke except for 4 days? A true testament to your maintainers...or creative accounting.

MasterBates

I have seen those PMC rates in HSL with creative accounting. 1 det had similar FMC rates, but they were really creative on their determination of what was FMC...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This just sounds suspect to me. You mean out of a 180 day cruise (or however long it was), no jets broke except for 4 days? A true testament to your maintainers...or creative accounting.

Ditto. I'm sure APW time isn't factored into that either. You can cook the numbers to look any way you want - I've done it myself.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto. I'm sure APW time isn't factored into that either. You can cook the numbers to look any way you want - I've done it myself.

Brett

One VP squadron was consistently reporting 9 FMC birds for a whole deployment when I was in VQ-1 and no one who knew any better believed them. Turns out they were reporting birds with bare firewalls FMC, unfortunately I don't think anyone ever paid for that sin......:confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Doesn't mean they didn't didn't break, just means they had them fixed before next daily tally of FMC status before report went out. Not to say that either squadron or CAG decided to be creative. These reports get sent all the way to DC and figure prominently in FITREPs.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
You can cook the numbers to look any way you want - I've done it myself.

I learned the hazards of cooking that particular set of books after watching a Marine one-star ordering the MEU CO to "launch the AMRR." Not a good day for the 53 or AV-8 dets...

Suspect? No we did have some miracle workers in Maintenance. We got the Estocin/Battle E because of them, and really if you ask me, only them. Let's admit, that was one of the selling points of the hornet. Ease of maintenance...engine change in less than one hour. Hornet is easy to work on compared to the old workhorses of the past...F14, F4, A7 (and no that is not to interpreted in any bad way). That was on of the main selling points in decision of going with hornet.

Creative accounting? Yes i will admit this does happen more often then it should...Lot21's and the last four that rolled off the production line in fact. Also it's all about grooming the jets. Good gripes etc. When we swaped jets from 15 to 21's, those 21's were not in the greates of shape either. We weren't even close to FMC rate we had by time we cruised. So my opinion is it is totally dependant on the maintenance crew. Those kids work their a**es off for benefit of us and they don't get the appreciation they should.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Suspect? No we did have some miracle workers in Maintenance. We got the Estocin because of them, and really if you ask me, only them.

koolaid_colors.jpg

Brett

I learned the hazards of cooking that particular set of books after watching a Marine one-star ordering the MEU CO to "launch the AMRR." Not a good day for the 53 or AV-8 dets...

We had a Prowler squadron have issues calling some jet not even capable of flying off as FMC...gripes getting thrown away, sign off's that never happend etc, all because of the pressure from above. If you ask me, the CO and MO were spineless in saying NO to CAG. Cost them an ejection and loss of aircraft...lucky no loss of life. Tough situation though to tell your boss NO. True test of ones moral character and glad i was not in that situation. Everyone says they blow the whistle but unless you are in that situation...no saying what one would do.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a Prowler squadron have issues calling some jet not even capable of flying off as FMC...gripes getting thrown away, sign off's that never happend etc, all because of the pressure from above. If you ask me, the CO and MO were spineless in saying NO to CAG. Cost them an ejection and loss of aircraft...lucky no loss of life.

That's inexcusable. What was the time-frame?

Brett

If it isn't incriminating anybody, what's the story behind that? :confused:

We were at Fallon as the TOP GUN class was just finishing up their BFM syllabus. Few of the students were talking at the club how they came to a merge with the T45 and I guess one of them got there "butt" handed to him as the T45 was tracking. True? I don't know, but that was the talk at the O'Club.

UInavy said:
Right pilot, right time. I'm sure there are some A-4 drivers that could still whip both of us, but I don't see them dragging any Scooters out of the desert because of that.

True indeed. Never under estimate your opponent because of the airframe.