• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Burning questions about OCS, flight school and Navy life

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You "mid month check" is considered a deduction. He's getting $1360 twice a month, and paying his BAH right back to Uncle Sam, because he lives in Govt Housing.

Plus I see about $200 a month in bills paid automatically out of the check plus $192 into TSP (think 401K)

Yup, that's about right...

now add $650/month school loans (on the first and the fifteenth I really do envy you Academy/ROTC guys) $440/month for the Cadet loan and $400/month for the car loan...Extras like cable/internets (because I MUST have my AW) and cell phones..

I think I buy about a 12'er of beers a month...and a pound of shrimp for bait from the Marina...just enough to keep me happy!

But I made LTJG on the 15th...yay pay raise for me!

lmnop

O3E, 15 yrs, Married BAH ($1500). Gross with special pays (dive, demo, jump) and CSRB is 120K (95K without CSRB).

Raptor2216

For the Marine types who are in PLC, all those years in college will help to produce a nice paycheck once you get out of TBS. I'm a single O-2 with 6(3 active) years now and for this year, i'm netting 60K and out of that, only 40K is taxable income.

This is with Meridian BAH, which is probably one of the lowest in the nation. If I were stationed at a place like San Diego though, I would be making another 10Kish/year. So, for those of you in PLC, I'd recommend saying no to the MCTAP or whatever its called these days and take the years in service instead because you stand to make a lot more money in the long run.

Bolter

pilot
As an officer/ aviator you really do make a shit-ton of money when you break it all down. But do you know how you can double your salary in one easy step? Stay single. Then you can have all of toys that you want :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Ya, sorry if that was unclear. Think that's pretty much what I said though.

Still- just for an O1 <2, it comes out to almost $1000/yr for a CA resident.

Make sure when you transfer to one of those no income tax states, AK and NV included, that you become a resident of that state. Forever.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Or you can get married and make sure your spouse works. I mean WORK not just CVS.

I don't know about that. My wife and I were both O-3's and I swear I had more money as a single Ensign. Women are like a black hole for money.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
But I made LTJG on the 15th...yay pay raise for me!

How much of a pay raise have you seen? I can't wait for that in about 8 months here!

FTR, for your state income taxes check on your home state anyway. I am from PA, and if you are military but stationed outside the state, no state taxes. They will still tax you if you are stationed in the state, but that happening is slim to none.

MasterBates

Or you can get married and make sure your spouse works. I mean WORK not just CVS.

Great in theory, bad in practice. You would think a married DINK couple could do way better than a bachelor, but then you get the "black hole for money" effect, like HuggyBear said.

You want to live well? Stay single and don't let your girlfriend move in. Anything else and you are playing with fire for having so spare money either via her blowing it on shit for your house, or via you chucking out alimony.