• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Ocean and little ships make finding "Mother" difficult sometimes

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a story I've heard about a Phrog landing on a container ship due to a miscalculated bingo...can't vouch for the veracity of it, but it does include the important learning point that it's better to be alive and wingless then dead (even if it means the entire fleet now knows that you can't calculate fuel burn worth a damn).

There was definitely a Bravo that landed on an oil well somewhere off of SE Asia a few years ago. Shortly thereafter, that squadron's SDO back at homeguard gets a phone call asking what the number to the ship is. Oops.

There's another story of HSL fuel shenanigans from the same timeframe, but I don't have all the facts, only some second and third hand stories. Suffice it to say, PLANNING on singling up is never a good plan.

what really sucks about the british is that port/starboard is red/green and a left hand pattern is an anticlockwise pattern to them

I'm not sure I really know what you're getting at.

TopDog

pilot
The story of the Navy 46 that landed on a container ship is true...one of my good buddies was the copilot on that aircraft.

Pags

N/A
pilot
PLANNING on singling up is never a good plan.

I'd say that's a pretty solid way to know that your plan is awful and that you've already fucked something away pretty well. Might as well plan to HIFR when you get there just to make it "really sporty."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We'll JOKE about that, but yeah, no. We don't plan to do that...

It can become a HAC board scenario, and there are instances when it's the right thing to do once you're in a situation, but yeah, planning to do it isn't the answer.

phrogpilot73

That is, IF the boat provided you with good info.
That's better.

It can become a HAC board scenario, and there are instances when it's the right thing to do once you're in a situation, but yeah, planning to do it isn't the answer.
I've had similar questions on my HAC board, but it was always after compound emergency, burn rate issues, etc... Never planning on it.

Helicopter Aircraft Commander... I think...
You are correct.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Dolphin has a system where you input the Lat/Long, TACAN cut, or mark point of the boat, and input the course and speed, and it will contact a rendezvous point for you. That is, if the boat provided you with good info.

We have a similar thing in the Bravo. We can also designate something as Mom and as long as we have datalink, it gets updated C/W/S in real time. But sometimes it no-worky.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
We have a similar thing in the Bravo. We can also designate something as Mom and as long as we have datalink, it gets updated C/W/S in real time. But sometimes it no-worky.

And this is what happened when they landed on the oil platform. After several hours of EMCON games and poor procedures, when the crew flew back to mom for recovery, the ownship symbol was nowhere near where the boat was. Running short of gas and unable to find the boat, they landed on the only thing they could find: an oil platform.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Enterprising HAC woulda gotten topped off with the Rigs supply of gas for the helos that do ferry duty and gone on his way backsheep.