• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Ocean and little ships make finding "Mother" difficult sometimes

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And this is what happened when they landed on the oil platform. After several hours of EMCON games and poor procedures, when the crew flew back to mom for recovery, the ownship symbol was nowhere near where the boat was. Running short of gas and unable to find the boat, they landed on the only thing they could find: an oil platform.

That was the story I heard, but didn't want to throw stones. I don't know, if Mom is EMCON, I make sure I know where she is, and if that means we don't go far, so be it. But again, I wasn't there so I'm trying to limit my arm-chair quarterbacking to real life and not the internet.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Meat's failsafe method of finding a carrier.

1. Turn on radar.
2. Look for biggest storm/rain shower.
3. Carrier will be directly under it.

Why do shoes always steer for the worst weather in the area when aircraft are airborne?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
And this is what happened when they landed on the oil platform. After several hours of EMCON games and poor procedures, when the crew flew back to mom for recovery, the ownship symbol was nowhere near where the boat was. Running short of gas and unable to find the boat, they landed on the only thing they could find: an oil platform.

EMCON for real or for training? Even if it was EMCON for real, safety of flight would have meant getting on the radio and calling in the blind for the TACAN to be turned on. If it was EMCON for training, it should have never gotten that far. Shoes love to take the training games to the point where they jeopardize other people's lives.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Why the S doesn't have it is beyond me.

It's on the short list of software upgrades to be implemented. As with any government project, the S was held up (overbudget/late/etc.) and software features were shelved for future software releases. TACAN track was supposed to be a part of the original software suite (the S has all the hardware, it just needs to know how to use it).

Each time we are doing a massive PMC, my OIC reminds me of how the venerable H-3 had this feature and that the -60S will never be "as good" until they finally implement it.

In the meantime, I'm getting really good at rapid fire updating waypoints based on manually changing the TACAN station (the H2P version of TACAN track).:D:D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or, if we're up, call your friendly neighborhood E-2. We can find any squawking boat out there, even if it's not our Boat, and we're always willing to help out fellow aviators on the DL.

MasterBates

I think the only time I ever got a good freq for "The Ocho/EasyButton" was during JTF Katrina.

That's a downside to the HSL guys even if they are on the shotgun, their radios aren't channelized like the wings. The E-2 was in the SmartPac normally, but it was usually not "right".

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last cruise, after something like this happened, one of our JO's and the OIC of the shotgun HSL det exchanged SIPR addresses. We kept them posted on a good freq to reach us should the need arise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last cruise, after something like this happened, one of our JO's and the OIC of the shotgun HSL det exchanged SIPR addresses. We kept them posted on a good freq to reach us should the need arise.

Seems like they would want to fly with the current comm card and COW, no?

Brett

MasterBates

Getting info from the CV when on the small boy can be painful. Often it gets pushed to the CG, but you don't get it because some SWO was playing "Gatekeeper" or "I have a secret".

The amount of times I was on HawkLink going round and round with the TAO to get a good Strike/Marshal/Tower freq because the comm card was WRONG was significant.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Or, if we're up, call your friendly neighborhood E-2. We can find any squawking boat out there, even if it's not our Boat, and we're always willing to help out fellow aviators on the DL.

I was off of some random South American country one afternoon a few years ago and all of a sudden, a very clear and strong voice called us up by callsign on the UHF. Turns out it was a Navy E-2 on station (originally out of Atlanta). Obviously the ranges involved on the service they were providing us don't need to be discussed here, but suffice it to say, I was VERY impressed with what they could see and how well they could see it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And when the 'balloon goes up' and the emitters 'go down' ... you still gotta' find the BOAT -- assuming it's still there. :)

Alternatively, let's hope that LTjg in the back of the Hummer knows his stuff. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....We still have NDB's scattered around the PNW and AK, and that has been an obsolete system ...for longer than I have been alive, short of maybe island use.
Still lots of 'em OCCONUS and lots of ADF approaches that you will have to shoot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting info from the CV when on the small boy can be painful. Often it gets pushed to the CG, but you don't get it because some SWO was playing "Gatekeeper" or "I have a secret".

The amount of times I was on HawkLink going round and round with the TAO to get a good Strike/Marshal/Tower freq because the comm card was WRONG was significant.

How about SIPR email, or the CAS website, or mIRC? Most airwings post that stuff to their CAS sites. Lots of ways to get that info without waiting for it to be "pushed" to you.

Brett

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Meat's failsafe method of finding a carrier.

1. Turn on radar.
2. Look for biggest storm/rain shower.
3. Carrier will be directly under it.

Why do shoes always steer for the worst weather in the area when aircraft are airborne?

As it has been... forever.
Here's a cartoon from the USS Kitty Hawk (CVA-63) 1972 cruise. Nick Chriss and Jerry Watson, two fighter guys (VF-213) teamed up to spear the air wing and ship on a daily basis on the back of the Air Plan.

JoeCoolTS.jpg

From the Spring 1984 issue of The Hook magazine... used by permission.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Fester, I'm fairly certain was with us enduring the JFK
Pain-ex. Maybe on a different small boy in the group?