• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BGO experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many BGOs insist their applicants apply for NROTC as well as the USNA. I met a couple that just won't work with a kid that won't apply for NROTC as well. They can always turn it down.

flynhi

What's with those Academy guys not knowing about NROTC? Hell, every school I applied to has a NROTC unit. I think that's a bunch of BS. And Wink, yes the BGO asks you about NROTC also, so there's no reason those guys would not have known about it. Total BS!!! The Academy wants to know if you'll do whatever it takes to become an officer. That's why these questions appear on the BGO's questionaire.

Phantom Hawk

usnafury said:
I'm applying for both the Academy and NROTC. Right now, I'm just having to jump through medical hurdles. I strained a muscle in my back a year or two ago, and put that on my medical form. Now, I have to give DODMERB all the records for the back injury. Who knows what they'll do with it? I went to a few sessions of physical therapy and have been fine ever since. If this DQs me, I'll be POed. Hah, and want to know something funny? For the USAFA, my "height exceeds standards". I wonder how that can be when my height is 5'2? :confused:

hey usnafury, keep me posted on what DODMERB does with that cuz i did the same thing last year playin baseball and put it on my sheet. Theres no way that can possibly DQ anybody I wouldnt think. Ill be real pissed if it does.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Integer1 said:
There is no correct solution for the admissions process, but it does seem funny that the Academy tries to get as many minorities as they can to match the enlisted makeup by population of minorities and non-minorities in the Navy, while completely lacking the ability to recruit as many women as to have a makeup of about 50/50 to men, as is in the population.

So the Academy is matching their ethnic makeup to that of the rest of the Navy, but should be matching their male/female ratio to the American population??? 50% of the enlisted force is NOT female, why should 50% of the officers or mids be?
In addition, not sure if there still is, but when I applied in '97-'98 there in fact was a female admissions officer. They do try to recruit more women, and women still show up out of shape or otherwise unable to graduate and drop out, just like the men.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is still a female admissions officer, I met her when I went for the candidate weekend.

And I doubt I'll ever get a flight physical, can't see worth crap. Unless they give me PRK....

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Repost

Bottom line: Work hard, play hard. You will get what you earn...like your wings.

Nothing is given to you on a silver platter in the military.

Only one thing will get you through flight school...performance in the air.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Good Bgo

I met my BGO in person a couple weeks ago and did my interview at my house last Thursday. It went really well and he seems like a really good BGO. He even mentioned that he knows pretty much everyone back at the Yard and he goes back to DC/Annapolis about once a month (from California). He's a real USNA alum, unlike many BGOs.

I had met him at a USNA Alumni Association meeting here that the Supe was speaking at that about a dozen local candidates were invited to. There was kind of a clash between the older generation (mainly those who graduated during the 50s) and Vice Admiral Rempt. Things like commissions in the Naval Reserve rather than the Navy, the word "combat" not being in the mission statement, and obviously the changing of the words to "Navy Blue and Gold" all came up during the Q&A time. So we discussed some of those things at my house, as well as his days in Viet Nam and at different times and places in the fleet.

He was really eager to get my application before the board when it meets for the first time (26 August). Better chance for LOA. He says I have a good record, and that he's been having trouble finding excellent candidates in this area the past couple years. Hopefully come the 26th I'll pick up that damned LOA.

My Analysis: 10/10 -- EXCELLENT BGO -- would recommend to any candidates in this area (not like you have a choice)

Integer1

Banned
Alumni versus non Alumni

LOL Almost sounds like a review site.

From the posts, this is what I gather: Both types of BGOs want to help, but they can only help in different ways.

It's like having a Physics teacher and an English teacher who like you. The first could give you, as a gift, a Physics book that is older than you are that is still being used at one of the top schools. The English teacher has access to some "common knowledge" that she could share, and could give you the only remaining copy of the her most favorite literary novel ever, or whatnot, but what does that help you if you want to become a Physics major, even if they are both doing their best to help you???

In the same way, a BGO Alumni WAS THERE and will probably call the admissions and make a case for candidates they like. A non Alumni will do his or her best to fill out the paperwork, but what they will really want is to help you in the Navy in general and have minor knowledge with the USNA, but have a lot of experiences, contacts, and information to get you into their own field in their own commission path--not the USNA.

And the Physics teacher will love it that you love physics, while the English teacher (the non-alumni) will think, "man, stop talking about physics like it's the only major that leads to a college degree! What, you think you're smart by taking Physics over English? Heck, there are more English majors than Physics majors! Etc.

(You can see how the parallels in my example just don't end! :) )

wink said:
Many BGOs insist their applicants apply for NROTC as well as the USNA. I met a couple that just won't work with a kid that won't apply for NROTC as well. They can always turn it down.

Dude, I had to do that after growing up in a military family. I had records scattered all the way back to Germany.
:icon_rage

Mass suckage.

NAPSmom05

Have to chime in on the alum vs. non-alum BGO opinions. My daughter had a very nice BGO. However, it was his first year and he was pretty difficult to get a hold of and didn't really offer any assistance. He was an alum. We got lucky and met a woman from 1000 miles away that was training to be a BGO (she is now) who is not an alum. This woman gave my daughter and I more ideas for appeal etc. and info that our BGO never had or thought of. It resulted in a spot at NAPS this year. So, you can have effective, in-effective, etc. BGOs from both ends. Remember that this job for them is a volunteer one and they have real jobs and families to support. I also think that many times their hands are tied as to what info they can give out. JMHO.
NAPS05mom

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Yeah, I wouldn't say being a USNA alum automatically makes a good BGO. It certainly seems like a plus though, since all the ring-knockers stick together and look out for each other over time. My BGO going back there once a month at his own expense seems like a great indication of this.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like a non-alum BGO would have much influence with the admissions board when making a case for a particular candidate.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lets see, boat school alum that spent 6 years on active duty as BGO or retired two star that didn't go to academy. Who do you want writing your interview appraisal? Or how about the civilian, never been in the Navy (yes there are civilian BGOs), but has been a BGO for over 15 years, had two children attend the USNA, is heavily involved in parent organization, and been to every conceivable event on the yard half a dozen times. Then there is the retired USMC E-9 that once worked in admisssions on active duty. Think he would be a good BGO? Fact is that every BGO is trained at the USNA in what admissions is looking for, common trouble areas in apps and how to write a powerful interview appraisal. It really doesn't matter if the BGO is an alum or not.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Well of course a frickin' admiral would carry some weight, no matter where he came from.

I guess what I was referring to is how the ring-knockers have their club and always stick together. Of course non-alums can also be good BGOs. And Marine E-9s are cool no matter what.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, just because a guy is a USNA alum he makes a good BGO. Is that because of his organizational skills, the time he has to spend with the applicant, the relationship he has with the high schools, his ability to effectively communicate with apprehensive parents, or what? I have know many naval officers, ring knockers among them, that did not do particularly well at any of the above. While ring knockers have been known to share a special bond, (they) "stick together", you will not find Admissions staffed with a bunch of USNA alums to be impressed with a boat school BGOs interview appraisal. I am also unaware of any identification on the on line input the BGO makes to an application that indicates his commissioning source. Of course, if any BGO, alum or not, spent a great deal of time on the yard visiting Admissions, he might know the latest nuance Admissions is looking for. They might even recognize his name on an app. It might be worthwhile to have a BGO with close personal relationships in Admissions. I am pretty certain it doesn't matter if he is a ring knocker. Too many other variables in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.