• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BGO experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manny7_99

whatever you say mr.pre-appointee, over and out.

~manny
pre-who's your daddy?

p.s.Oh and the reason I called you a kid is b/c if you would've not said you are 20 or something I' assume you are like 10 or 12(only answering because you asked.) and I really have to say this...better stay civilian, don't think the military is the place for your open minded free spirit, I think you are in for a big surprise.Now, officially out.

HerrLURP

Manny, take it easy on Integer. Your assesment of him at this point seems to be spot-on, but to say he'll be in for a big shock once he hits fleet is inaccurate; 4 years at the Academy will certainly straigthen him out and WILL get him to the standard that a naval officer needs to be at.

And I'd have to disagree with you on the "walk-on" statement you made. I was an All-State track athlete, but I wasn't recruited to run. At USNA, I spoke to the track coach and had an opportunity to try-out as a walk-on, but I decided not to considering the time commitment involved. The same goes for most of the other sports...the coaches have nothing to lose by letting a kid try out.

manny7_99

football is a different story Sir, I'm sure you do know that. If you are not recruited to play D-1 football for the academies you will not play or waste the coaches time walking on. About mr. Integer, I already posted and said I was gonna avoid any further argument, I lack the time, interest and patience. Thank you for caring though
Respectfully,

~Manny
Pre- Liquid dreams tonight

HerrLURP

Come on, haven't you seen "Rudy?"

Seriously though, I defineatly remember them holding a 1-day tryout session for all potential athletes back when I was a plebe. Granted NONE of the guys who went made it on the team, and granted I was told the coach didn't even show up to run the tryout, they did have some of the players and an assistant coach quickly look over the potential walk-ons.

NAPSmom05

My daughter's BGO was very nice, but new

It made getting information very difficult and most of the time we ended up telling him what was going on. So, don't be too sure that they always have all the updated info. We found out about NAPS before him etc. But, he came over to our house last week to present daughter with her certificate and couldn't have been nicer.
It's just his first year.

Oh, just to add to the football "walk-on" discussion. If you don't think there are very very good walk-ons at D-1 schools, look at the University of Nebraska. 1/2 of their team are walk-ons!
They don't seem to do too badly year in and year out.

usunkmybship

She should be getting another letter soon about body alterations (tattoos) and has to fill out a form about that. Not a problem for me :)

NAPSmom05

She got that one in the mail today. How funny!

Fortunately for ME, that isn't a problem for her either. Other than the "single perforation" in each earlobe ;) she is fine! I liked the part about dental modifications. Oh brother.
NAPSmom05

**pre-Proud mom of USNA grad 09***

manny7_99

I see

NAPSmom05 said:
Oh, just to add to the football "walk-on" discussion. If you don't think there are very very good walk-ons at D-1 schools, look at the University of Nebraska. 1/2 of their team are walk-ons!
They don't seem to do too badly year in and year out.

Dear Ma'am,
yes there are many walk-ons at the D-1 level every year, and I mean many! my cousin is one of them (FL). However, walking on at any of the D-1 service academies is just not an option, coaches don't accept it for some reason.

NAPSmom05

Ok, you are making feel way to old with the Ma'am stuff

LOL :icon_tong Oh well, I guess I AM old. sigh...
NAPSmom05

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad I read this thread, well most of it anyway. I have just started the process to become a BGO and was going to start a threat asking about your experiences. So, any other experiences I can learn from or advice from parents or applicants I will be able to use?

Integer1

Banned
Please don't say you want to start a threat because of our posts. The [forum] management is already all over our butts ;)

Some more advice, from a candidate's perspective:

As a former enlisted recruiter, you will have already become accustomed to interacting with young adults. Now, you have a direct role in something you might have already done many times: evaluating recent high school graduates for fitness in becoming Officers in the United States Navy. However, where in your previous assignments, you simply referred a student interested in leadership to an Officer Recruiter, your upcoming engagement places you in the role similar to that of a marriage counselor, where your job will be to facilitate open lines of communication between two parties: a candidate, and the flagship commissioning source of the Navy: The United States Naval Academy (USNA).

Just do your best.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Appreciate the perspective. I, however, have been in officer programs recruiting off and on now for several years. The officer potential evaluation I have down very well. The challege as I see it is dealing with younger students then I have in the past. I wonder how many parents push their childs app. and the applicant himself is simply ambivalent.

Integer1

Banned
Well, I originally wrote a couple of paragraphs about exactly that perspective. However, I became too emotional, so I decided to change my message to "Just do your best." :)

Finding out whether the person is applying for himself or because of his parents is probably the main reason Blue and Gold Officer interviews exist. I will take a reasonable guess that the academy finds that students who go in under parental pressure are much less likely to finish the academy. A candidate's reason for joining probably correlates closest to whether or not he or she graduates from the academy, but that is just a guess as well.

Another main point of the interview is for you to judge whether the candidate has the look and sound of Officer material. I would not be surprised if some people are not squared away when they show up for the interview, or come late. The Naval Academy would like to know your judgement and opinion of the candidate's motivation level and also his/her aptitude to be a leader in the Navy further on.

The academies find that 15-20% of the students in each class lack the desire or ability to graduate. Without quality interviews and psychological questions, the statistic would be higher. Since the Academy needs your guidance, it is possible that many parents DO push their kids, and that some students who apply have no business in being an officer, or both, so you probably will see those students once in a while.

The funny part about being a BGO is that there is a chance that you could write a glowing review of a candidate, only to find that the candidate was rejected. In other words, there might be many candidates who you are glad are considering the Navy, who you think, in the back of your mind, will make it, but won't. If I was a BGO, I would try to prepare myself for this situation ahead of time, because it is one that would otherwise make me feel that the achievements of my candidate and my own efforts as a BGO have been ignored. I would try to remember that if a candidate who I thought should get in doesn't, that this happened because the candidate wasn't right for the Academy as far as admissions could see, not because you did anything wrong.

From what I have heard, BGO reviews will probably not affect a candidate's chances, unless they are really positive/special ones. What they might do is give the academy a reason to remove that candidate from consideration, however, which is something they probably hope for since they have 15,000 applications to process. This, of course, makes sense. But, don't worry about anything and just write an honest review of the candidate. If you think they are very special, write that. If you think they are excellent, write that. If you think they will make example officers, write that. If you think they will make a motivated midshipman, write that. Write whatever you think, and don't look back. I don't think a BGO could possibly 'screw everything up.'

So, just do your best. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.