• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Benefits of a Masters Degree?

exNavyOffRec

Out of idle curiosity, what did he falsify? I'm thinking it was not for an administrative issue. That might be grounds for separation, but not brig time. I'm guessing we're talking criminal record or something regarding money/entitlements.

she falsified transcripts, and other issues dealing with enlistment, she was supposed to be a Naval Reactors Engineer, somehow passed the interviews with the NR Engineers and with Admiral Donald, and she didn't even have a tech degree, but flags went up shortly after she went through ODS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You are correct, or at least a good recruiter will prefer a person to stop before submitting than after, I tell them often if you are having second thoughts stop and do not submit, I have had many do that and most came back.
But the crux is, do they come back having actually accomplished something (for instance, a graduate degree), or did they piddle around in entry-level jobs for 6-12 months and came to the realization that the Navy was a better deal? I'm just asking so that we compare apples to apples here. I have a hard time believing that a board is going to frown upon someone who states that they declined their pro-rec because they decided to pursue a paid graduate degree first in the same way they would view someone waffling because they don't like their civilian job.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You may have a hard time believing it, but NavyOffRec sees it every day in his job. So I would guess his info is pretty much dead on accurate. I'd let NavyOffRec be the one to advise the OP instead of providing false hopes that will end up causing grief.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I have a hard time believing that a board is going to frown upon someone who states that they declined their pro-rec because they decided to pursue a paid graduate degree first in the same way they would view someone waffling because they don't like their civilian job.

What color is the sky in your world???

exNavyOffRec

A good recruiter will think of the person first, but many don't, I have tried to discourage those with doubts with submitting at this time, I don't want a person who felt pressured out in the fleet, there are too many others that are wanting to serve, some come back with further education, some come back after having some work experience, some come back after thinking for a while, some don't come back at all, and I am ok with that.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
They know because once you are put in the computer system to go to board you stay in the system, those that decline are archived, but then you can bring them back.

You are also supposed to disclose whether or not you have applied, if you put no when you have there is a little term for that "fraudulent enlistment" there is a former Ensign that is currently in the brig at Miramar serving some time for falsifying some info.

My intent is/ was/ has never been to lie or be dishonest in any way - I simply could not recall if answering that question directly was part of the application process. As with everything in life the truth will always get out, and were I to turn down an OCS slot now, returning under false pretenses seems like the worst possible way to begin in a career track based on integrity...

I know that it sounds cliche, but I really do appreciate the differing opinions and debate. My decision has to be made by the end of the week, and having lots of input helps.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
she falsified transcripts, and other issues dealing with enlistment, she was supposed to be a Naval Reactors Engineer, somehow passed the interviews with the NR Engineers and with Admiral Donald, and she didn't even have a tech degree, but flags went up shortly after she went through ODS

Wondering if she read Nuke Reactors for dummies or something. That's pretty hard core to pass an interview with Naval Reactors Actual.

robav8r

None
Contributor
To the thread title, the benefits of a Master's Degree as an URL officer is a check-in-the box that can increase your competitiveness for O-4 and above given everything else is equal. Not exactly required, but many have one.

However, there seem to be a lot of posts that say "go into the Navy now, get your Master's later." Well, there's a little more details to that advice than that:

1-If you go into the Navy, it is likely that you will have the opportunity to earn your Master's on your first shore tour. However, where you get that Master's is going to be determined by the needs of the Navy. You are not guaranteed an NROTC instructor job at the college of your choice so you can get a degree. And you may even be assigned to a job that actually requires long hours such as a staff job working 100 hours writing emails and power points for a workaholic O-6 trying to make flag... not much time for a degree there, especially if you are married or have children.

2-Most of the Master's programs inside the Navy are good for fullfilling their purpose for your career in the Navy -- a check in the box for promotion -- but may not be so good for fulfilling any alternate career paths you want to pursue or at least keep optional. Besides, a large portion of the worth of your graduate degree is networking with prospective employers, something you may not be able to do because of point 1 above.

3-The GI bill can take a good chunk out of grad school costs, but it most likely won't pay the entire bill.

So given all this, if you can swing it, are looking at a good school, and are doing this for your employability as a whole, going for your Master's now will probably be the best choice. It simply leaves the most options open to you for employment both in and out of the Navy. It's also the only way you can guarantee attending a school tha you want in an area where you want to attend it. After you graduate, you'll be 25 and you'll have 2 years to apply for a commission. That gives you plenty of time to apply, especially if you start your first application in your last few months of school.

Of course, if none of the above is a priority to you, then go for OCS and attempt to get a Master's in your first shore duty.

KODAK: Some may disagree with me here, but there is a bigger picture I think. Spekkio's comments compare the benefits of a Masters degree in the context that a civilian career is on equal footing as a commission in the Navy. It is not (IMHO). While I won't argue the pros & cons of having as much education as possible, the decision to join the Navy is (should be) a calling to be a part of something much greater than yourself or your individual contributions. Life in the Navy, and more specifically Naval Aviation, means being part of a great brother/sisterhood. Many folks will always consider being in the Navy a "job." But the truly great ones have made their mark in the profession of arms which would not be possible in any civilian career. Lastly, your career in the Navy will not be measured by the number of degrees you have, but rather the tenacity in which you approach your assignments. Your choice in the end, best of luck to you in whatever endeavor you choose !!!

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Just to close the loop, I decided to get my masters, applied for OCS/ SNA, got selected, and now fly helos on the east coast. I appreciate the advice from all sides and if anyone has questions going forward please let me know.

Most admirable thread resurrection in awhile!

Judge Q

Judging You
Congrats. Any idea how many with a Master's get jets?

I keed...I keed...:cool:

Jets? Who needs jets? Reading back in the thread a decent % of people with his master's get astronaut. :cool:

I have the opportunity to earn an advanced engineering degree in Aviation Systems (i.e. aviation flight test) from a local school which has served as the last stop for dozens of Navy/ Army aviators (plus many current and future astronauts) before they go to Pax River and become test pilots.

By the way, congrats on everything, mad respect.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Congrats. Any idea how many with a Master's get jets?

I keed...I keed...:cool:

So I know I shouldn’t go down that path, but in my humble opinion I don’t believe the masters makes one bit of difference in Primary/ Advanced/ FRS, etc. At the end of the day I just couldn’t look myself in the eye and say that I passed up the opportunity to earn an advanced engineering degree (for free) from my hometown university and I am very fortunate I had the chance to do that and then Fly Navy after the two years.

I sure as sh*t didn’t mention my masters (or prior flight time) to any of my instructors, and only a couple caught on when they noticed that I was a couple years older that the rest of the folks in my position. Maybe it will help my career some day, but even if it does not I’m blessed I got to do both.

I’ll also readily admit that when I reapplied for SNA it seemed that basically anyone that met the requirements and could fog a mirror (and had the desire) got a chance - my roommate in OCS/ Primary wanted intel but they said “SNA guarantees you go to OCS soon(er)” and he wisely took it and is now loving life. As they say everything in life is timing, so don’t discount that. I also specifically mentioned I had made it to a Final Select before with my second recruiter and his only comment was “well that ought to make it easier this time around”. Devils advocate being he could have called me a ‘quitter’ behind my back for all I know, but thankfully the NRD I went through for both applications treated me very well.

Last edited:

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
By the way, congrats on everything, mad respect.

Appreciate the kind words - the supreme irony of this entire situation is that a year after I graduated, the department was shut down and the airplanes were sold off. Thus, a program that trained flight test engineers that now work at USNTPS, Redstone Arsenal, Gulfstream, Scaled Composites, Beechcraft, Cessna, etc is condemned to the dustbin of history all because the degree didn’t include an extra thermo or fluid dynamics class to go from “aviation systems” to “engineering science” and satisfy the big brains. Thankfully I got my shot when I did and it was an absolute honor to learn from some very very very smart folks before it all came to an end..