• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Benefits of a Masters Degree?

robav8r

None
Contributor
Can we get the Navy to pay for a Masters while we are serving active duty? Does anyone know of any dudes who knocked out any credits during flight school?

First question: yes, lots of ways to get graduate/follow-on education paid for by Uncle Sam. Second question: seriously? While academically, I'm sure there are folks who could accomplish this, but I would suspect most would counsel you to focus on learning how to be a Naval Aviator/Flight Officer before pursuing anything else.

Sonog

pilot
First question: yes, lots of ways to get graduate/follow-on education paid for by Uncle Sam. Second question: seriously? While academically, I'm sure there are folks who could accomplish this, but I would suspect most would counsel you to focus on learning how to be a Naval Aviator/Flight Officer before pursuing anything else.

Understood. Flight school is definitely going to be top priority. Just trying to figure out a balance between not waiting too long to the point where I forget everything that I learned this past year and not letting it interfere with my career focus. I'm talking doing only 3 credits at a time, here and there.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm going to break with the prevailing wisdom here. He's 22, so after completing his MA, he'll only be 25. He'll have a good degree, not one from a part-time program (I have my MSBA from one and I'm proud of it, but it isn't the same as if I'd gone to Wharton, or even the resident program at BU) or a Command and Staff program (let's be real about those). That's a major life accomplishment. Don't shit on it.

He'll still have one or two shots at OCS after that.

I can fully see how one can come late to the realization that he wants to look into the military. Just because he's on the fence is no reason to look down on him.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Don't shit on it. He'll still have one or two shots at OCS after that. Just because he's on the fence is no reason to look down on him.

I'm not shitting on anyone, but can you honestly tell someone who is serious about a career in Naval Aviation that they should/could wait a bit and apply after completion of their masters program? POM-14 and sequestration are looming on the horizon and things are not going to get better wrt opportunity. Yes, I would say it's time to evaluate your position on the fence and choose. And in no way is that looking down upon or judging the decision, just speaking frankly about the very real possibility of a missed opportunity because he chose to chase another one.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Also to the OP, bear in mind you can reapply to KCL 10 years down the road and take advantage of the GI Bill (don't quote me, but I think it is to the tune of $17K a year for foreign universities). I know for a fact that British universities skimp on funding, particular for foreign (read American) students.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If he goes into aviation now, the chances of getting both goals done goes down by a lot.

Besides, the masters will enhance his competitiveness, and even if he can't go air, he'll still be very competitive for numerous other MOSs.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Ideally what I would like to do is finish a Masters degree and then apply for OCS. I was not really looking into applying for the navy and then turning it down, I was simply curious if it was an option. My plan is to try and get my application finished this summer so that I would not have to worry about it while abroad. Both programs are only a year, and after speaking with my OR it would be possible for me to submit my application 6 months prior to completing either program. So I would be applying in January or July 2013 and only be 23 when I would first be applying. Depending on the program (King’s is Sept to Sept, Cambridge is October to June). I want to become a United States Naval Officer. That decision has been made for a very long time. However, I want to continue my education (not for a piece of paper) for the rest of my career, wither now or later in life at the Naval Post Graduate school, a Naval War or Staff College, MBA, JD, do what General Petraeus did and get a PhD, or simply through $50 in late charges from the public library. I am not trying to decide between the military and the “ivory tower”, I am just trying to figure out the best decisions to make given my circumstances and how I can tailor my choices into making me the best officer, pilot, and person I can be. If taking a year to go to the UK would hinder my chances at selection than I do not want to go. If it would improve my chances and open opportunities at career enhancing tours/assignments while my peers were busy getting their masters degrees after their first few tours, I think it is at least worthy of consideration. I apologize if my previous post made it sound like I was trying to decide between the two. Thanks for all the responses, there was a lot of insight.

bluemarlin04

hey I might be able to offer some advice. I just finished grad school at 25. I was a little late because I was in the military (both active and reserve) the past 8 years and I got recalled after going back to college. I'm still enlisted as an e6 but hoping I can get to have a chance to be an officers soon.

the colleges you got into are some prestigious universities, you should be proud.

if I was in your position I would go to the school and apply after you finished it. That is my opinion.

Education is one of those things nobody can take away from you. No matter what happens you will always have your education and it will open up many many doors. If you really want school, which it appears you do because you worked so hard for it, than you should follow it.

you do have age on your side. So its not too bad, if you were 25 26 I'd say don't. This is one of those things in life where you gotta make the decision o. Your own and take a risk.

and yea, do not even think about turning down a pro rec. That will haunt you forever.

Renegade One

None
Old fart's opinion, but you sorta articulated your choice of goals: (1) a life in academia, or (2) Naval Aviation. Pick one, and go for it. Neither one will, in my opinion, substantially "up your quals" for the other. But "Rolex" ahead 40 years...how would you have preferred to spend your life, even if only for a short time?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I'm late to this thread, but I was in grad school before/while I was applying to get into the Navy. I chose to "postpone" my Masters and enter flight training and haven't looked back. I've had a few periods of down time and have gone through a few other classes towards a Masters but otherwise, its still on hold. I was also 25 when I was applying. Another thing you have to consider is if you wait, what the climate (in terms of economy, etc) is still doing. Had I continued my Masters and waited, the economy got worse and made it WAY harder to get into the Navy than when I was applying. I have no idea if I would've gotten in had I waited.

I also agree that Education is a big deal in my opinion and that's something no one can ever take from you. However, lets say you get the master's and don't get into the Navy. Then what? Whats your backup plan? The economy is looking up but isn't that great. Not sure what the civilian sector is like as far as jobs are right now, especially in your course of study, but I know after I was laid off, it was impossible to find another job in engineering. My civilian buds with Masters in engineering as well couldn't find anything. So that's just something else to think about as well.

There is no right or wrong answer and everyone here has their own opinion, but you need to decide what is going to be best for your life. There will be plenty of time and opportunity to earn a Masters during your career if you decide to do so. Don't feel like you have to rush into it now. On the flip side, the window into Naval Aviation may not be open to you for as long. I guarantee the last thing on your mind during flight school will be how you chose it over your Masters.

Lastly, I agree with others who said they wouldn't risk turning down a Final Select to go to school. There are guys and girls chomping at the bit to get in who would kill for a Final Select and the chance to get to OCS. That is definitely not something that's just freely given, so I would seriously weigh that option carefully.

Good luck.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Old fart's opinion, but you sorta articulated your choice of goals: (1) a life in academia, or (2) Naval Aviation. Pick one, and go for it. Neither one will, in my opinion, substantially "up your quals" for the other. But "Rolex" ahead 40 years...how would you have preferred to spend your life, even if only for a short time?

Or you could have the drive and desire to pursue both, or find a way to combine the two into one rewarding career...that's my goal

Renegade One

None
Or you could have the drive and desire to pursue both, or find a way to combine the two into one rewarding career...that's my goal
Don't disagree at all...that's what I did as well. But the issue seems to be that there's a time-window constraint on the aviation thing...advanced degrees will always be available. That's really my point, I guess...

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I know it's "a check in the box" on paper but have those of you with graduate degrees found a program that was particularly useful as a military officer?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I know it's "a check in the box" on paper but have those of you with graduate degrees found a program that was particularly useful as a military officer?

The short answer is there are some degrees that can be useful, but that also depends on what you do after earning the degree.

Staff officers who went to one of the war colleges- yes. Acquisitions guys who got a business degree- yes. Ten-pound-head guys working in the test establishment who got a rocket science degree- yes. Department heads who got a degree in management- maybe a little. Guys who got a check-in-the-box grad degree in something maybe military-related- not much.

Some people want to advance their career, others want the gratification. These reasons aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

LET73

I was in a similar situation to yours a few years ago. As a senior in college, I was looking at masters programs and talking to recruiters. Ultimately, I found one MA program that fit perfectly, and decided that if I was accepted, I'd go and see what happened after. I got in, did the MA, and put in my OCS package after finishing the MA when I was 25 (commissioned at 26). You've got time to do both.

Do you want to do the MA, or do you want your commission? Pick a priority and stick with it. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but you need to decide whether it's more important that you take this opportunity for the program you've been accepted for (and maybe get picked up for SNA at some point in the future), or turn down the opportunity (and maybe get picked up for SNA at some point in the future). Also, you're getting more than a little ahead of yourself if you're thinking about what's going to help you make O-5 when you haven't even dropped your OCS package yet.