• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Benefits of a Masters Degree?

I have thoroughly searched this site in an attempt to find my answer. Over the course of my search I have found many threads and posts that are tangentially related to my question, but none that address my topic directly. So first let me introduce my situation and then ask my question. Currently I am a 22 year old senior in college planning to graduate this Spring with a BA in History from a respectable University. I have recently been admitted to both King’s College London for their MA in War Studies and to the University of Cambridge for their Mphil in Modern European History. I was on a career track that was setting me up for a PhD and a life in academia. About two years ago I came to the realization that what I have always wanted to do is become an officer in the United States Armed forces. However, I continued working hard in school and now that graduation is staring me in the face I have to make real decisions about what I am going to do. My question is what would the career benefits/disadvantages be to pursuing one of those degrees and then pursuing OCS be as opposed to simply trying for a SNA spot at OCS right now. Also how would my potential career timeline deviate already having a master’s degree as opposed to getting one later in my life. Would having a Masters degree before commissioning improve my long term career viability (O-5 and above)?
I am currently in contact with an officer recruiter and am trying to get my application ready for the next board.
Any Comments/Questions/ or concerns are appreciated. If my search failed to find this information already I apologize.

P3 F0

None
My advice--start trying to get in now. You'll have opportunities to get your Master's later. You will only limit yourself age-wise by waiting. Just be prepared to broaden your horizons as to what you get your degree in.

How would it be viewed if i applied for the upcoming board and was accepted and then turned down the final select in favor of getting a Masters degree? Would i be able to reapply without any stigma attached to my application?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
First off, a Masters Degree is a "check in the block" for most unrestricted line officers. There are some specialties where getting a Masters in that field is actually career enhancing. For example Oceanographers should try to get a Masters since they are in a science field. I've heard some Nukes argue that a Masters in nuclear engineering (or EE) is good for your record. For pilots, it's pretty much a requirement to have it.

My advice is apply for OCS or other comissioning programs but keep your options open if you don't get in.
You can always go back to school, but the window to get into flight school is short.

Keep tracking with your education because you can always leave school if the Navy offers a slot. But keeping asking yourself what do you want to do if you don't get an SNA slot.
Good luck!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
How would it be viewed if i applied for the upcoming board and was accepted and then turned down the final select in favor of getting a Masters degree? Would i be able to reapply without any stigma attached to my application?

I would recommend against turning down the slot, if you get it. Unless you have an exceptional reason, the Navy may view it as you having higher priorities than flight school.

I don't know if they will actually brief tat you turned the Navy down during the board, but I, personally would not want to risk it.

P3 F0

None
I haven't been on one of those boards. However, if I were sitting on that board, I'd probably shoot you down if that info was part of the package. Honestly, you don't sound too serious to me about getting in. Not only the waffling about getting in vs. getting the degree first, but lines like "About two years ago I came to the realization that what I have always wanted to do is become an officer in the United States Armed forces." -- Really, that sentence makes no sense.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If I were on the subsequent board I wouldn't give a second's thought to giving you another chance.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I have a few friends in the training pipeline who worked on their masters while they were applying to or waiting for OCS. They didn't make a big deal of it on their applications and it obviously didn't hurt. Just a smart way to spend their time in between.

I would not turn down a slot to finish a masters. I would take it and finish your advanced degree later. They don't want people who sort of want to be Officers and Aviators, but only on their terms. Your chances of being accepted again after turning down an appointment are extremely low, approaching zero.

exNavyOffRec

I would recommend against turning down the slot, if you get it. Unless you have an exceptional reason, the Navy may view it as you having higher priorities than flight school.

I don't know if they will actually brief tat you turned the Navy down during the board, but I, personally would not want to risk it.

I have first hand knowledge of an individual that turned down a spot to go earn a Masters in the UK, that was nearly 3 years ago, he has applied over and over again since and never been accepted.

Sonog

pilot
I'm going to hop on this thread with a question of my own...

I'll be finishing 24 credits for my Masters degree in Engineering Management (need 36, so 4 more classes to go) this semester, and I am heading to Newport at the end of May. There is a strong possibility that I can take the remaining classes online with my current university in the coming years.

Can we get the Navy to pay for a Masters while we are serving active duty? Does anyone know of any dudes who knocked out any credits during flight school?

P3 F0

None
You should be able to get tuition assistance, which will cover most if not all of the cost. I don't recommend taking anything while in flight school. Focus on flight school and don't let things like other classes get in your way. There'll be plenty of time during your shore tour to finish up.

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12

You would have to be crazy to make it as far as FS for SNA and then turn it down because you wanted to sit in an ivory tower with a bunch of people who are about as far from the real world as it gets. Different strokes I guess but being in academia, especially graduate school, for close to 7 years, Ive found its not all its drummed up to be. If you'd prefer sitting in school into adulthood over being a Navy Officer with the chance to fly, Id question if this is what you really want to do.

I can't comment on how it would look to a subsequent board but based on NavOffRec's anecdote, I'd say "not good". I'm a nobody but I could easily see myself and certainly board members questioning your sincerity if you were to turn down the slot for anything but an all out emergency that demanded your attention someplace else. Any other reason tells me "you dont really want it".

You mean to tell me that you would go through the long, sometimes stressful application/testing process just to turn it down? Is this some kind of thought experiment or something?

I'm in a similar position but a little older and further along in my Masters degree. I did not drum it up in my application, I just submitted my transcripts from my MS work so far which show working towards degree. The Navy is looking at the whole person, not how many degrees you paid for. Their basic requirement is a bachelors, thats what the vast majority of applicants have. Id argue that involvement in other activities (aviation related or otherwise) weighs more than anything else beyond the basic requirements.

I plan to finish grad school in the next month or so, just need to complete my thesis. You have age on your side right now but none of us are getting any younger. I just turned 25 but I'm worried about the 27 deadline for commissioning, I should be at OCS before fall is out (supposedly FS letter is waiting to be signed) but I still worry about any unforseen medical issues setting me back and getting me close to the deadline. I know far fetched that it would set me back 2 yrs but one never knows. You are probably perfectly healthy and will likely remain so but you just don't know. Vision can deteriorate, you could need surgery for something which could set you back in the application process. 2-3 years from now, nobody knows what OCS numbers for SNA will be, if there will even be boards more than once per year or even less, who knows.

Sorry to ramble and play worst case scenario but age, board dates, how selective boards are, numbers and health make for a volatile mixture that is best worked with when time is on your side. Even at 25, one minor thing has the potential to totally derail me. Take it from somebody who has at least been through the app process: The one thing I wish I could do is roll back my age a bit. You are already in that situation. Take advantage of it!

You can sit on a chair and get whatever degree you want to shell out the money for at any point in your life. From everything I've read on here and heard in talking to current/retired officers, there will always be opportunities for advanced degrees once you are in, especially nowadays. You will not always have the opportunity to fly on uncle sam's dime staring you in the face. I suggest you go all in on this upcoming board, make your package the best it can be and accept selection if you get it. If not, then being an officer/aviator is clearly something you DO NOT really want to do. Good luck and if I got selected, you probably can make it as well!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Go easy on the guy, everyone. Lots of good, solid advice being given out here.

Lots of people on this site have been in a position where they could choose between two hugely rewarding opportunities (in life, a lot of people are lucky to get just one). Making the transition from civilian to SNA takes enough time that sometimes the life circumstances of the person applying change. I'd try to avoid being overly judgmental in the replies only because I've seen successful career aviators make their own hard decisions and decline opportunities offered them by selection/screen boards- lateral transfers, department head selection, O-6...

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
First off, I would say you should pursue the SNA slot. However, I know about KCL's War Studies Department, and it looks absolutely top notch (it's produced a number of well known alumni, including Andrew Exum and the woman who penned Petraeus' biography). The department has a bunch of blended learning opportunities, including the PhD program. It requires a ton of self discipline and drive, but you could pursue a research degree while still holding a job full time. Their program allows for that. You would have to travel to London for qualifying exams, some workshops etc., but British PhD's are designed to be much more independent and research-driven.

As others have stated, their will be plenty of opportunities to pursue advanced degrees in the Navy...TA, war colleges, Olmsted, night school at GW/G-town, Moreau Scholarship, NPS (they have sec studies PhDs, too) are all open to you at some point or another. There are plenty of examples of officers who hold PhDs and have gone on to do some incredible things in their career. I am hoping to take advantage of some of them and, like you, want to pursue a doctorate at some point.

As an aside, would it be possible for the OP to pursue his Master's degree in the UK and apply for the SNA slot at the same time? The degree would only be a year.