• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australia requests authority to purchase 24 more Super Hornets

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I inadvertently deleted the link, but I got a news blip this morning that Australia has requested authority from the U.S. to buy 24 more Super Hornets. Apparently this has resulted from continuing delays in the F-35 program and cost escalations in same. This is good IMHO because because it ensures that the Super Hornet line will remain in production for a couple more years. As an outsider now, I firmly believe that a Super Hornet w/ the 26000lb thrust engines & conformal fuel tanks (increasing combat radius by 15%) would be the most cost-effective, kick-ass, dual-role a/c the Navy has ever operated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And IIRC, the first batch got wired for G pods and got the civvy ILS box too.
I read that they did, in fact, buy between 6-12 G kits to mod their existing Fs. Not sure if that mod happens in Australia or St Louis, but I think they're the only non-US folks to buy the G thus far, though others have expressed interest.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Why are the pylons canted on our rhinos? Weapons release issues?

What I heard was that the ten lb brains had predicted through modeling that there would be issues, which ended up not being the case in real life, but that the ball was already rolling too fast at that point to change the design. I'm sure there is a rhino person here that can confirm or deny that

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I'll take a Block III Rhino over an F-35. Straight pylons OR big engines would be amazing...both together would be mind-blowing.

Renegade One

None
I'll take a Block III Rhino over an F-35. Straight pylons OR big engines would be amazing...both together would be mind-blowing.
Depending entirely, of course, on where you're fragged to fly that day. Recall there was a time when folks felt much the same way about the P-51D over "everything else".