• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australia requests authority to purchase 24 more Super Hornets

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let us all pray that Boeing is signing up the Canadians even as we "speak" here. Transitioning from "A" models to E/F Super Hornets would be operationally easy for them as well as financially much less expensive than F-35s. Apparently, the Canadians CNX'ed their order for 65 F-35s last week.

Not quite, just 'reconsidering' it at this point apparently.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Don't take my word for it, just google "Canada cancels F-35 order". About a dozen stories will pop up, and they say "cancel" - not "studying" or "reconsidering".

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You know they can't put something on the Internet if it isn't true. It's like a law or something. I think that Woodrow Wilson got that through the UN.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't take my word for it, just google "Canada cancels F-35 order". About a dozen stories will pop up, and they say "cancel" - not "studying" or "reconsidering".

It orginates from a single newspaper report that the Canadian government denies. Now we all know that reporters and politicians never lie.......

Fog

None
Contributor
www.ottawacitizen.com/news/​Federal+government+cancels

OK, it's not Woodrow Wilson or Al Gore, but it is the newspaper in the nation's capital. Just sayin' . . .

Fog

None
Contributor
F: I learned long ago not to try to debate w/ you or Brett. I was, however, an English major (a long time ago), and "reset" generally means going back to zero, starting completely over. If the Canadian government spokesman said they were "resetting" the decision for a new fighter a/c, a reasonable person could/should assume that no contract is [any longer] in place to purchase the F-35 from Lockheed-Martin. That would mean that any prior contract had been cancelled, would it not? Anyway, the score is now 1-1. My personal bet is that the current Canadian government would look like fools if they now re-evaluate the decision process and say the F-35 is still the correct answer.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Can any rhino dudes offer some insight into how much the canted pylons really affect performance? Any numbers out there? I'm curious.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
F: I learned long ago not to try to debate w/ you or Brett. I was, however, an English major (a long time ago), and "reset" generally means going back to zero, starting completely over. If the Canadian government spokesman said they were "resetting" the decision for a new fighter a/c, a reasonable person could/should assume that no contract is [any longer] in place to purchase the F-35 from Lockheed-Martin. That would mean that any prior contract had been cancelled, would it not? Anyway, the score is now 1-1. My personal bet is that the current Canadian government would look like fools if they now re-evaluate the decision process and say the F-35 is still the correct answer.

Like the Brits, who said they didn't want the F-35B before they decided that they do want it?

Fog

None
Contributor
Like the Brits, who said they didn't want the F-35B before they decided that they do want it?

Maybe you're right on that. I enjoy a good debate, regardless. Personally, if I were a procurement manager (which I'm not), I would greatly prefer a strike force of 120 Super Hornets to one of 60 F-35s (the total cost of which would still favor the F/A-18E/F). Even though the USAF eventually made a highly effective long-range strike a/c out of the F-111, overall the program was a disaster. The F-35 is the most recent attempt to build one airframe to serve all 3 US air arms (plus many allies), and I sincerely believe that this program will also peg the FUBAR scale before its all over. Hope I'm wrong, but the Super Hornet is a proven platform with more ability to be improved, whereas the F-35 program is 4+yrs behind schedule and many $$ billions over-budget.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The F-35 is the most recent attempt to build one airframe to serve all 3 US air arms (plus many allies), and I sincerely believe that this program will also peg the FUBAR scale before its all over.

I tend to agree with your comments on the F-35 acquisition....

But, as for the quote above...what's that aircraft in your profile picture again? Seemed to work out ok...I'm not convinced that you CAN'T build one airframe to work for all three services, but there will of course be compromises made...what were your thoughts as an aviator in what seems to be one of the more successful multi-service platforms?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
But, as for the quote above...what's that aircraft in your profile picture again? Seemed to work out ok...I'm not convinced that you CAN'T build one airframe to work for all three services, but there will of course be compromises made...what were your thoughts as an aviator in what seems to be one of the more successful multi-service platforms?

Let me clarify for Fog. There has never been a successful transition of a fixed wing aircraft to sea service from a shore based service. Several the other way, F-4, A-7 and A-1 all come to mind. No, the YF-17 bears too little resemblance to the F/A-18 to count.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Can any rhino dudes offer some insight into how much the canted pylons really affect performance? Any numbers out there? I'm curious.

I can't offer any numbers, but I will say that the difference in performance between a slick Rhino and one with six pylons and a single centerline is staggering. Acceleration, top speed, sustained turn rate, etc.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I can't offer any numbers, but I will say that the difference in performance between a slick Rhino and one with six pylons and a single centerline is staggering. Acceleration, top speed, sustained turn rate, etc.

I mean hypothetically just how influential the "bad" pulling are. Inboard ones right? Support you had all the pylons except those...would that be substantially different than all six on?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The EPE F-414 engines would have a new core and fan, not just a FADEC upgrade. But they'll almost certainly never be built so it doesn't really matter.

It's actually a 4 degree cant.

Roger.

As far as the pylons, it makes a significant difference to have inboard pylons on an E/F. I will defer to our newfound minutia expert on whether there is a number one can attach to it.