• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australia requests authority to purchase 24 more Super Hornets

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
So did we, and we pulled those power levers back as soon as it was reasonable to do so. I'm not as concerned about wrecking an engine when 4 are working. But in the 3 engine scenario we were talking about, I'd be less inclined to tempt fate and go begging for a 2 engine by pushing the levers up to the stop.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
With that said, going 3 engine in a high/hot/heavy situation is not as bad as it used to be since we do have that excess power and it lowers our VMCA quite a bit.

Uhhh...no. Back to aero ground school. More asymmetric power increases your VMCair. Did you mean three engine ROC?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
With the number of engines I have seen shit the bed I don't know how comfortable I would be putting the power levers to the stops while 3 engine....

I don't even think I would run it at 1077 much longer than absolutely necessary unless ground impact was imminent.

When's the last time 5 went to the desert?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
P3 at Max Gross.. 135k.. 4600x3 available.. 13,800 hp

135,000/13,800 hp = 9.72 lb/hp

E-2 at Max Gross.. 56,000 5100x1 (if it's really hot... maybe 47-4900)

56,000/5100 = 10.98 lb/hp.. Not scary more, but more..

Now, the COD
56,000/4600 = 12.17 lb/hp
And it's less aerodynamic. (COD has more drag from being "boxy" than the dome adds to the E-2)

The COD can takeoff from a runway up to 60K. For summer in the desert, it isn't unusual to light load the fuel (and cargo) in order to have any SEROC. This is why we often have to stop for fuel on the way to the boat Jun-Nov.

The numbers are improved with the 8-blade, but you still only have 4,600. I would have no problems firewalling an engine if that's what I have to do. My AD's do a good job making an old engine as reliable as possible. Heck, my old skipper ran a motor for 30+ minutes without oil once, the engine ran great until after he was on deck. Of course it then became a fused hunk of junk.