• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Stalin

Who made that decision?
I don't know, my recruiter just said they might bypass the board due to my ASTB score and GPA. I was good to go on everything except my conditional release that took so long and my physical which I got done.

As far as my OCS date, I was surprised myself to get in this FY. I heard that dates would probably be in the summer time. Maybe it's because I was technically pro-rec'd in October, maybe everyone on this board will get a 2013FY commission. I hope yall get speedier dates than that, that's a far way off!

mjv305

ENS SNA
I don't know, my recruiter just said they might bypass the board due to my ASTB score and GPA. I was good to go on everything except my conditional release that took so long and my physical which I got done.

As far as my OCS date, I was surprised myself to get in this FY. I heard that dates would probably be in the summer time. Maybe it's because I was technically pro-rec'd in October, maybe everyone on this board will get a 2013FY commission. I hope yall get speedier dates than that, that's a far way off!

what does that mean bypass the board due to astb and gpa? Were they that good?

Lucy

What likely happened is since Stalin "lost" the pro-rec through no fault of his own, they "held" him a spot, and since the board was taking so many people, he got his pro-rec back. The board has the "at-board" list already done prior to the selection day, so since his stats were in the top it was redundent to give him a pro-rec he had already had. At least that is how it should've worked.

He didn't bypass perse, but rather was given back a PR instead.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
What likely happened is since Stalin "lost" the pro-rec through no fault of his own, they "held" him a spot, and since the board was taking so many people, he got his pro-rec back. The board has the "at-board" list already done prior to the selection day, so since his stats were in the top it was redundent to give him a pro-rec he had already had. At least that is how it should've worked.

Once again, I bow down to your awesomeness. Good golly.

Stalin

what does that mean bypass the board due to astb and gpa? Were they that good?
9/9/9/73 3.94 GPA

More or less, my pro-rec did expire but they figured I'd get it back in this board. So they did look at my packet for this board but accepted it instead of comparing it to everyone else's. That's what I figured happened. What I am wondering is if I did this 2 months earlier, hypothetically, would they have made me wait until this board or do what they did? Guess it all worked out.

I feel yall's pain. I was checking Air Warriors daily during my board. This was the hardest part IMO, but it teaches good patience :)

egd33

pilot
Contributor

Do you know if this would reduce the # of applicants the board will select by 1 or if it should remain the same? If it will be the same someone just got lucky, if not I guess it would not matter since Stalin would have almost certainly been selected again given his stats.

Stalin

9/9/9... really? give me a break.... thanks for letting me know what I am up against.
Whole person, my friend. ASTB scores help a lot but they do not make or break a packet. This website has been priceless for me, not only did it teach me how to study for the ASTB, it helped me on my motivational statement, putting my packet together, what extra-curricular activities to do to make my packet better, etc. That is why I still come on the forums, to give others the great advice I received from this website.

Congrats Stalin! It would have been a shame to totally lose a pro-rec because you were serving in another branch. I am glad it worked out for you. And, I am also glad that it is one less packet to compete against mine! Bwahahahaah!

But seriously, I am sure my application will look better without yours sitting next to it.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Guys, I know the wait SUCKS. Hours tick by and airwarriors and usnavyocs are checked every fifteen minutes. Just know that IF you aren't selected this time (IMHO everyone should be selected...these stats are amazing), bust through that door. Get those interviews, volunteer as much as you can...make use of idle time. But also treat that application as if it were a baby. Watch it through every process. I had to do this...and thank God I did.

In any event...here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dysG12QCdTA

This might give yall a chuckle.

Lucy

edg- no idea on the # of selects being effected, but like you said not a big deal either way. 100 or 99 selects doesn't make a difference, and the only way you'd find out if you would've been the 100th is if they take alternates and you are alternate #1.

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
I thought that most recruiters were recommending to get a physical done before the actual submission. Did anyone else already have their MEPS physical. I got mine all squared away from the Air Force and just had it transferred to the Navy so mine was already complete

Mine sent me to MEPS before the board. So that's done. But I had PRK for it so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
9/9/9... really? give me a break.... thanks for letting me know what I am up against.

I rarely check these threads anymore, as i'm no longer an applicant. But I was curious to see what you guys were talking about as I was in your shoes exactly 2 years ago.

Firstly, don't sweat everyone elses stats and scores. Ask some of the "vets" around here (the ones who've been up against multiple boards or app is in limbo for more than 1 year or so) and they'll tell you.

I had a guy apply with me who had those scores, a 3.9 from Stanford in Mechanical Engineering, held multiple scholarships, had 1000+ hours of flight time and had multiple letters of recommendation from military officers (O-5 and above and a 1-star even).

He didn't get selected.

You guys have heard it time and time again. It really is the "WHOLE PERSON." The board builds a mental image of you as a prospective officer (assuming you make it through OCS, lets be honest, not everyone does for some reason). They do so by your grades, your work ethic and record, school activities, other activites, LORs, your motivational statement, etc. You may have some weak areas in your app, but if you have other stuff that strengthens that they'll see it.

I had 2.7 in Aerospace Engineering from Univ. of Michigan, but part of that was because I had to work 5 jobs (yes, five) to help pay for school, as my parents were getting a divorce at the time and my Dad was the only one paying. My 3+ years of work experience prior to the Navy in Commercial Space Operations and Defense along w/ my 3.9 Grad school GPA from Univ. of Colorado in the same major outweighed that.

Do the best you guys can and have confidence in yourselves. It may not seem like it now, but this is the easy part. I enjoy talking to you guys applying, so if you ever have questions, feel free to PM anytime. Otherwise, good luck and hope to see some of you on this side.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
I had a guy apply with me who had those scores, a 3.9 from Stanford in Mechanical Engineering, held multiple scholarships, had 1000+ hours of flight time and had multiple letters of recommendation from military officers (O-5 and above and a 1-star even).

He didn't get selected.

You guys have heard it time and time again. It really is the "WHOLE PERSON." The board builds a mental image of you as a prospective officer (assuming you make it through OCS, lets be honest, not everyone does for some reason). They do so by your grades, your work ethic and record, school activities, other activites, LORs, your motivational statement, etc. You may have some weak areas in your app, but if you have other stuff that strengthens that they'll see it.

Lets be honest though. There had to be some serious flaw that no one could have gotten through with, as you not only described someone with a near perfect GPA in Mech E of all majors (and top 1% ASTB scores), but from one of the most respected universities in the world (with one of the most respected eng programs in the world), and one that had great LOR's, tons of flight time, and I am assuming plenty of other strong aspects. My guess is this guy was either too old (and was denied a waiver) or had a police record, otherwise it does not make any sense (unless he turned the motivational statement into a nutjob manifesto, which I seriously doubt), as you just described someone that met the whole person concept unless you left something serious out that nobody would get selected with. By getting accepted to Stanford in the first place, he clearly met the "whole person" review they gave him. I realize you are trying to tell the guys that do not have flawless applications they can still be selected (which is certainly true!), but there is no reason to unnecessarily scare those that do have tops scores and GPA's, because they should not be worrying unless they did have some major issues that add questions about their character and offset such scores/GPA (i.e. criminal convictions).