• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Christopher Allen

Whole person, my friend. ASTB scores help a lot but they do not make or break a packet. This website has been priceless for me, not only did it teach me how to study for the ASTB, it helped me on my motivational statement, putting my packet together, what extra-curricular activities to do to make my packet better, etc. That is why I still come on the forums, to give others the great advice I received from this website.

Christopher Allen

Whole person, my friend. ASTB scores help a lot but they do not make or break a packet. This website has been priceless for me, not only did it teach me how to study for the ASTB, it helped me on my motivational statement, putting my packet together, what extra-curricular activities to do to make my packet better, etc. That is why I still come on the forums, to give others the great advice I received from this website.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you have that's so impressive for your "whole person concept"? Sports, clubs, volunteering?

mjv305

ENS SNA
New

Well, just checked Bupers..IDC board decisions are out. Not accepted for Intel.. It would be all good if the reason i didnt get accepted was because they already had selected me for SNA(my first choice), but as those boards met yesterday and decisions arent out, obviously that isnt the case.... Looking forward to another let down in a few days...​

pdizzle

Top Gun was on AMC last night. Coincidence? I think not.

And by that I mean my OR called and said boards have been delayed until Tom Cruise releases the evil spell he is holding on Millington.

VTFlyer

Top Gun was on AMC last night. Coincidence? I think not.

And by that I mean my OR called and said boards have been delayed until Tom Cruise releases the evil spell he is holding on Millington.

I couldn't help but watch part of it. I liked the caption during the movie that said "At Top Gun today pilot's who refer to the movie are fined $5 per incident"........maybe that should be enforced here? haha

mjv305

ENS SNA
I actually flipped to it at the " you got that loving feeling part" and turned it off after.. I was waiting until i got accepted to watch Top Gun and An Officer and a Gentleman, but all fingers point to me never watching either of those movies ever again....

SDPilot6

Moving off topic but still relevant...

I had a ME job with an aerospace company several years back. My manager was looking to hire another intern as I was leaving and he reviewed over a guy's resume who had a 3.978 (yes he listed 3 decimal places) from a prestigeous university. They decided not to inveterview him because from the resume you could tell he wouldn't fit into the social atmosphere of the work environment. That's not the only time I've seen that, but point is reviewers (like managers in the civilian world) are people too who are prone to personal interpretation and opinion. Stats don't necessarily make a person, the whole person concept is how you prove to the reviewers that you are best suited to what they are looking for.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Moving off topic but still relevant...

I had a ME job with an aerospace company several years back. My manager was looking to hire another intern as I was leaving and he reviewed over a guy's resume who had a 3.978 (yes he listed 3 decimal places) from a prestigeous university. They decided not to inveterview him because from the resume you could tell he wouldn't fit into the social atmosphere of the work environment. That's not the only time I've seen that, but point is reviewers (like managers in the civilian world) are people too who are prone to personal interpretation and opinion. Stats don't necessarily make a person, the whole person concept is how you prove to the reviewers that you are best suited to what they are looking for.

THIS. Exactly.

@egd33: As I told another poster who asked me the same question via PM, all the grades, scores, LORs, etc. All that is superficial bullshit. When i'm in the plane during training (or in the fleet in another year) and something goes wrong, do you think my instructor would love me and think I'm an awesome student if I went "Sir/Ma'am, well I don't exactly remember the boldfaced EP that I'm supposed to have memorized but I went to Stanford (hypothetical) and had a 3.9 gpa and I know a 1-star. Oh and I have 1000+ hours of flight time......."

Do that and see what happens. The bottomline is this, for those of you that think that all that crap is the WHOLE PERSON, its not. its exactly what sdpilot6 just described. It's the board members going "Would I want this person serving in my command and would I feel comfortable having them lead my sailors or possibly have my life in their hands one day.....could they meet that challenge?" I can assure that is probably one of MANY questions they pose when they are making the decision. What you have on paper doesn't mean crap compared to how you come across. Yeah I didn't have any of that stuff either and I made it and the other guy didn't. Why? No he didn't have a police record and I dont know about his motivational statement either. But I didn't have a police record either, but I know I had multiple examples of experience and I talked about that in my statement (when the statement was limited to like 400 words or something). I made sure that my statement and my application, to me, came across as "here is why I would make an outstanding naval officer and the guy in front of me and behind me won't."

Now I didn't actually say that, but I had been in this situation before where I had to let other stuff shine for me. I knew my undergrad gpa wasn't that hot, so I submitted a statement explaining why it was that way. I was able to back that up w/ my graduate GPA. That's one minor example. The guy from my example, that was all he had was scores. Thats it. He had no real activities outside of school.....nothing. He did nothing w/ that flight time he had, so who was it benefiting? No one.

So thats why I say, all that stuff is superficial top-surface stuff. The "whole person" digs deeper than that. And the board knows exactly what they're doing because they do it often.

@Christopher Allen: You're kind of in a safe zone by posting that here, but had you been disrespectful like that in another thread on here, you would've gotten your ass lit up. Don't forget, this may be a forum, but the same people you smart mouth, are guys (MB, myself, eas7888) who are already in the shoes that you're trying to fill. The same respect you'd give in person, is the same you give on here.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Lets be honest though. There had to be some serious flaw that no one could have gotten through with, as you not only described someone with a near perfect GPA in Mech E of all majors (and top 1% ASTB scores), but from one of the most respected universities in the world (with one of the most respected eng programs in the world), and one that had great LOR's, tons of flight time, and I am assuming plenty of other strong aspects. My guess is this guy was either too old (and was denied a waiver) or had a police record, otherwise it does not make any sense (unless he turned the motivational statement into a nutjob manifesto, which I seriously doubt), as you just described someone that met the whole person concept unless you left something serious out that nobody would get selected with. By getting accepted to Stanford in the first place, he clearly met the "whole person" review they gave him. I realize you are trying to tell the guys that do not have flawless applications they can still be selected (which is certainly true!), but there is no reason to unnecessarily scare those that do have tops scores and GPA's, because they should not be worrying unless they did have some major issues that add questions about their character and offset such scores/GPA (i.e. criminal convictions).

Also who am I trying to scare? What do I get by trying to "scare" you guys? My intent wasn't to scare either side. My point to the guy in my original post was to not get his knickers in a twist over someone elses scores, if he did better than you. The goal there was that regardless of what your grades or other scores are, that's no determination on whether you'll be accepted or not. So submit your app and have faith. That was the message behind that....

I'm here to help, but I have better things to do than come on here and "scare" random applicants. Trust me on that.

MasterBates

If you wanted to scare people, you'd have them sent to meet me. I scare people. Especially....

NERDS!!!!!!
donald-gibb-ogre-revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg