• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Has anyone else noticed this?

What edition are you using, nikiterp86?

:scared_12

It doesn't have an edition number on it, so I assume it's either the first edition or the only edition. It's written by AF 1SGT Rod Powers. I went through and put a star next to every mistake... there were many. However, using that book, the ARCO book, atrickpay's study guide, and some other materials I found on AW, I scored 6 5 6 59. I didn't study the aviation stuff too much though cause I'm not applying for it, so those scores don't necessarily reflect the quality of my study materials.

Pleth

Actually I have noticed that as well. There are about 3-4 math problems that have funky answers in the answer guide. Number 26, the correct median is 10 not 12, number 41, they give the correct work but the answer they come up with is not the answer that they declare is right. In the first practice test for the ASTB aviation, the mechanical comprehension section also has a few errors as well. Number 11 is A) 1 not B)2 despite they say its 2. Number 14 is 3 not 4. Little errors like that. On the whole the book is a decent study guide in line with the various other study guides I've seen (keep in mind I haven't taken the test yet so I don't know how it compares). Just a few questions here and there have the wrong answer. Unfortunately this made me second guess thier answers on the Spatial Apperception part which had delayed my studying of that part until I realized their answers were right. If you keep an open mind and know your math you'll find the couple of errors pretty easily, just be aware that they are there. If I have time (right now I'm focusing on passing the ASTB) I will attempt to go through the book as best I can and put up the questions with the answers for the ones that are wrong in hopes that those that come after me don't have this problem.

BTW the edition I am using is the Barron's Officer Candidate School Tests by Rod Powers, c. 2006, ISBN-10 # 0-7641-2893-0. I don't know if there are other editions of this book or if there is a different book people were recommending. There is also no errata on the Barron's site (something I find annoying as well).

callsignecho

Clock Spider
Despite everyones comments I bought the Barron's book today...and returned it four hours later. I found three errors: two math questions had no right answer, and the axes of an aircraft were mislabeled (lat and long axis were switched).

Now I feel like I can't trust the content of the book. I only noticed the errors because I knew better. What about the subject matter that I don't know? It's essentially useless.

And Barnes and Noble in my town is sold out of the ARCO books.

:(

Btw, the one I bought was Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, 2007 edition, ISBN-13: 9780764135170.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
I used the ARCO book, and it was only a little helpful, since it doesn't actually TEACH you any material. However, that paired with the official gouge and some other information that you'll find posted around here was immensely helpful for me to raise my score up by a point across the board.

The biggest thing that helped for me was making FLASHCARDS. For EVERYTHING. And I'd carry them around with me so if I was in the grocery store checkout line, waiting for my laundry, on the bus, etc, I would be studying.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I used the ARCO book, and it was only a little helpful, since it doesn't actually TEACH you any material.

True, if you need to learn a particular topic from scratch rather than just brush up on it, I would recommend getting a book on that topic itself. Like a high school algebra study guide or a basic physics study guide. The girl who took the test after me yesterday said she used a Cliff's Notes algebra study guide and that it was helpful.

Also, for those who have taken it already: did anyone else notice the "Formulas" link in the upper right-hand corner? I didn't use it a) because I ended up not needing it and b) because the computer was slow as hell and I didn't need to waste more time. But I'm curious- was that actually a list of mathematical formulae?

jtmedli

pilot
Before I say anything, I'll add the disclaimer that I'm an Electrical Eng. Major with a PPL/Tailwheel and currently working on my instrument rating.

I thought the ARCO book prepared me well for the ASTB. Obviously don't rely on it solely. Use the Marine Gouge and any other sources that you can. Also, dont just use the ASTB portion of the ARCO book. Use the AFOQT Math/Verbal portions as well. They are pretty much the same and will give you more practice. Pretty much all I did was use the ARCO book and my Jeppesen Airman's Manual.

I got 8/8/8 BTW (not sure about the composite score).

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Haha why even bother putting them on there if you're only going to put 2 (and probably the easiest 2)?!

I have no idea! It was a total waste of space! I would have expected there to have maybe been the mechanical advantage equation or something but NOOO. I kind of laughed to myself when I saw it. So lame. What a tease.

Despite everyones comments I bought the Barron's book today...and returned it four hours later. I found three errors: two math questions had no right answer, and the axes of an aircraft were mislabeled (lat and long axis were switched).

Now I feel like I can't trust the content of the book. I only noticed the errors because I knew better. What about the subject matter that I don't know? It's essentially useless.

And Barnes and Noble in my town is sold out of the ARCO books.

:(

Btw, the one I bought was Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, 2007 edition, ISBN-13: 9780764135170.

This has been driving me insane. On the ARCO book I aced the spatial apperception, but the Barron's book has some impossible answers. It'll show no bank, no pitch, flying out to sea, and they have the answer listed as left bank, nose up, flying along the coast. So I thought I was doing something wrong, now I second guess myself when doing the practices and I am getting other easy ones wrong.

The scary thing is, I can't catch math errors like I can drawings. I'm terrible at math, so when I don't understand a problem I'll trust the book over my own judgement. I wonder how many of the problems I'm scratching my head about might be a book mistake...

I'm glad I found this thread though (thank you search function!) otherwise I'd still be staring at those plane drawings!

Oh I should add that the Barron's book was still very helpful. It has a crash course in naval and aviation and mechanical terms and knowledge that the ARCO doesn't really have, so my practice scores and confidence in those sections really jumped up.

The ARCO book was $140 at the store, but I just had the Main Library branch forward the book to a closer branch to me, so that should save you guys a bundle. The Barron's is 18 bucks on amazon (and you can return it within 30 days if you study fast! But I'm going to hold onto mine just in case).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
This has been driving me insane. On the ARCO book I aced the spatial apperception, but the Barron's book has some impossible answers. It'll show no bank, no pitch, flying out to sea, and they have the answer listed as left bank, nose up, flying along the coast. So I thought I was doing something wrong, now I second guess myself when doing the practices and I am getting other easy ones wrong.

The scary thing is, I can't catch math errors like I can drawings. I'm terrible at math, so when I don't understand a problem I'll trust the book over my own judgement. I wonder how many of the problems I'm scratching my head about might be a book mistake...

I'm glad I found this thread though (thank you search function!) otherwise I'd still be staring at those plane drawings!

Oh I should add that the Barron's book was still very helpful. It has a crash course in naval and aviation and mechanical terms and knowledge that the ARCO doesn't really have, so my practice scores and confidence in those sections really jumped up.

The ARCO book was $140 at the store, but I just had the Main Library branch forward the book to a closer branch to me, so that should save you guys a bundle. The Barron's is 18 bucks on amazon (and you can return it within 30 days if you study fast! But I'm going to hold onto mine just in case).

The Barron's book section has lots of errors, at least in the math section as I recall. I haven't bothered with any of the grammar / verbal, so I don't know. I don't have mine on hand, and can't remember if there were any errors in the spatial section, but it would not surprise me. You just have to look up the answer, read the "how to," plug it back in, and realize the correct answer is "wrong," sometimes not even a listed choice.

But dude, returning the book after you actually used it would be wrong.