• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

claire

i feel terrible for you papak. i also am on my last round. 44 the last time i took it, which is definitely not good enough. it sucks knowing that i'll sit down knowing that this is my LAST CHANCE. no pressure right? but either way, good luck!!! we both need it.

bpr2006

Patrick, your study guide was EXCELLENT. i made several hundred flash cards out of it and it was very effective. Just took the test yesterday and got an 8/8/8 65. Recruiter told me it was the highest score he had ever scene on the form of the test I took. So thanks!

Ok, first off I want to thank everyone on these forums for being more help to wannabe's like me than anyone or any book could ever be. I took the ASTB about a month ago and pulled off an 8/9/8 61, so I want to try to pass on the help I was given.

First of all, buy the study guides. I bought the ARCO Military Flight, ARCO Officer Candidate, and Barron's Military Flight test books. The information in these books is very valuable. They may not cover exactly what is on the exam, but you can't expect that. What they do is give you an idea of what kind of questions to expect. The practice tests are the best way for you to put yourself in the scenario of what the actual test will be like, and one of the only ways to see if you're working at too slow of a pace.

Second, use the Marine gouge website and all of the files that they have available. The information on this website is very very similar to what the test questions are. The questions may not be the same, but most of the concepts are. If something seems vague to you while studying, look it up online. Try to think 'how else could they ask this question?'. There is a lot of information to know, and 90% of it won't be on your test, so don't focus too much on one thing if it is bothering you.

Third, if you have any questions feel free to PM me and (without giving you exact test material) I will try to help. I have attached my personally compiled study guide. It consists of information gathered from all 3 study guides, this forum, and many miscellaneous things that I thought might help. Keep in mind that I am not going to tell you what stuff is 'more important' than other things. I used this to keep myself organized, so it might be useful for some of you to add or remove things as you please. Also, I'm human so some of the information in this document may not even be correct. I tried to make sure it was, but I may have made a few mistakes without noticing them.

If you use this to study, let me know after you take the test if it was helpful at all. Good luck to everyone that is yet to take it, try not to stress too much.

Patrick

A

AlexSmart

Hey guys, this is kind of a specific question, but has anyone run into quadratic equations on the math skills portion of the test? I have the Barron's book and the Air Force AFOQT practice tests includes some quadratic equations. So far, none of the gouge provided around AW (or related sites) asks anything about quadratics. I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent college graduate, but for the life of me I have never, never, ever been able to absorb and understand quadratic equations.

And BTW I haven't seen many people referring to navygouge.com. It's a good quick link to all of the gouge and info around AirWarriors, located in one concise site.

A

AlexSmart

bpr2006, nevermind that pm i sent you. I found Patrick's guide on this thread. Patrick, awesome stuff man. I've been collecting gouge and studying books for months now and this is the most concise guide I have found so far. A+

MarineAggie

Hey everyone,

This is my first time on here and I am in desperate need to pass this ASTB. Like as many of you may relate to me flying is my ONLY pursuit in life. In other words I will rather die then not be a Marine Aviator once I commission. I have taken the damn thing twice already and scored the same 4/5/5 both times, I am told I am still one point off from pilot qualification. I am a senior PLC candidate and I am on a time table. I plan on taking it again in September when I return from OCS training this summer. PLEASE I AM BEGGING EVERYONE and ANYONE to assist me in preparing for my LAST and FINAL attempt to become an aviator. I have been trying to access these links on here to columbia university test preps and this 'Marine Gouge" links, but all of them are discontinued or have broken links. I don't care if all you say is good luck, say a prayer, or provide effective advice...anything from you all are highly appreciated. My email is silverguard@neo.tamu.edu if anyone would like to contact me that way. I thank all of you for taking the time to read my desperate message. :)

Semper Fi,

Nick '10

nativeofsandieg

It seems to me that the hardest part of this test is the aviation/nautical section. Simply because of how much information there is to study from. I am not exactly sure how deep I should go into instruments and gauges and flight principles.

I am scheduled to take the test on the 29th, I feel strong in every area except for the aviation and nautical vocab. I have been reading the flight manuals that are posted on the Navy-Officer website. But its about 20 chapters long with 20 pages in each chapter. Anyone got some advice to which pages I should focus on? Thanks for any help.

nickman730

Check your email!!!

Hi Nick,
My 18 yr old son, Nick also, took the ASTB for the first time in Jan.
and scored 8/8/9 63. He has no previous flight experience (an
orientation flight only). He used the Barons and the ARCO books to
prepare along with a pdf doc.(attached) as a study guide. He stressed
learning how to take the test by timed practice. You must set a timer
to get used to the routine. He made copies of the answer sheets so he
could take it multiple times to get the pace down. He did not try to
memorize the questions but rather learned the format of the questions
and learned to READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND ALL THE ANSWERS before
answering. He studied the books (related areas) and the pdf and took
a test at one sitting.(allow time and in a distraction free area)
Found and studied his weak areas and would take the test again a few
days later. Alternating test so he did not repeat the test. This
process took two weeks and he didn't kill himself. Reviewed sections
30 minutes at time 3 or 4 times throughout the day, in the bathroom,
during commercials or whatever. Timed practice test is the most
important. Don't try to memorize the answers you miss, just learn to
be better at the TYPE of questions you miss. I hope this helps. I am
an Ex-military instructor pilot and am currently an airline pilot and
MD-11 instructor pilot. I suggest, if you have never flown, to take
an orientation flight in a light airplane. This helps with spatial
and flight control concepts. Nice to know the difference in an
elevator and flaps and how they work. Cost around $100. Bottom
line: do timed test, work on weak areas, and RTFQ!! (Read The ___
Question!)
I hope this helps and good luck in your dreams. Never give up. Be
Positive, Enthusiastic and Persistent. There is no substitute for
professional persistence.
Tony

MarineAggie

Definatley know the parts of a plane, i.e. rudder, flaps, trim tab...etc. As well as the basics on Thrusts, Drag, Weight, Lift...some knowledge on weather such as atmospheric pressures, density, different types of clouds...basic instrument knowledge such as altimeter, horizontal axis, the difference between ground speed and true air speed (I believe that is the right way of saying it). But yea thats what I can think of off the top of my head. The basics for the Aviation is the same amount and general knowledge you will need for the Nautical...know your port, starboard, forecastle, stern, bow, etc. and know the position of the red and green lights and what they mean.

Definatley ask around more so you can get every bit of information, but this is pretty much what I can advise for you to look at for this section. I don't have trouble with the Aviation/Nautical section, but Math and Mechanical is where I live at....and the neighborhood isn't that great!! :(

Good Luck!

-Nick '10

babyresa2

Hey everyone, I need more information. I have enjoyed reading everyone's responds. I am in college and will graduate with my BS in May, and I need help passing the ASTB. I am 33 years old and there is only two positions in the Navy for me. The position are Intell or Information Warfare. If you have any extra information please help. I want to be able to pass the first time. I have until the age 35 to be a Navy Officer. The books I purchased are Barron's Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test 2nd ed, ARCO Military Flight Aptitude 7th ed, and GRE Mathematics Subject Test 4th ed. I need to improve my math and reading skills. Thank you so much for your help.

Acart

The math section killed me as well. Being out of school for a while really hurts.

The math didn't seem super hard when I took it ( I got killed on it though) I ran out of time, and got some really hard questions( what is the cube root of 3465( or some number like that)) I mean really who knows that??

Acart

haha ya I know that now....but I am not even sure I ever learned how to do that with out a calculator....took up to Calculus and don't think we ever covered any of that. Thank you American public school system!!

nativeofsandieg

The math didn't seem super hard when I took it ( I got killed on it though) I ran out of time, and got some really hard questions( what is the cube root of 3465( or some number like that)) I mean really who knows that??

I did the same freakin thing, math wasn't hard but I ran out of time...