• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB - Prep/Study Guide feedback

WingForce87

My only problem is doing math without a calculator. I am currenty a physics major at McMurry University, and do well in all of my math classes (currently in linear algebra and ordinary differential equations). Only things is, I havn't done much math without a calulator in years! I should probably start practicing.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
My only problem is doing math without a calculator. I am currenty a physics major at McMurry University, and do well in all of my math classes (currently in linear algebra and ordinary differential equations). Only things is, I havn't done much math without a calulator in years! I should probably start practicing.

Yeah, i'm an engineering student and I had to spend a good hour just on basic math. I couldn't believe I forgot how to do simple subtraction, multiplication and division by hand. It's not like it's complicated, it's just that you don't really need to know those simple rules anymore.

BullGator

WingForce87: College math probably won't help a lot on the ASTB, it won't hurt either though. You have to go back to 6th-10th grade math for this one, much like the SAT. No calculator is not as bad as it seems. Just work on the shortcuts to solutions and being able to multiply and divide out in long form.

For the OP, attilathescott: It sure does feel good having done it already, doesn't it? Very good. I liked taking parts of the AFAST (Army) (mechanical) and the AFOQT (AF) (math, verbal) to help prepare me for the ASTB. All the practice you can get is good. There maybe other sections from those two tests that you can use for practice, but I took it in August and that's all I remember right now.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Okay, on this little practice test, on the Mechanical Comp. part. How exactly do you figure out questions 4 & 5?

I am havin a hard time getting these, especially the electrical one. I really appreciate any help on these!

#4)

Voltage = summation of I*R, so since the initial voltage is V, and the final voltage is zero going through the circuit, the voltage drop is V=IR through each resistor. However, since they are in series, you add them V=IR(1)+IR(2). This relation shows that the voltage drop is the same through each resistor.

#5)

Since the small piston is 1/3 surface area of the large piston, it will displace 1/3 less liquid if moved a specified distance. So, to raise the large piston one inch, we need to move one that much liquid; which means that the small piston must move 3 inches.

Hope that helps.

attilathescott

Just make sure you practice. I had not done other-than-basic math for 6 years because I tested out of all of my collegiate math courses. But I studied hard for around 1.5 months and focused on the things that I knew were my weaknesses, then I trained on everything in general to get a good feel for what to expect.

Best of luck to you, though I dont think that the math portion will be a huge problem for you guys, like BullGator said, its high school level math. Just takes a small amount of practice.

josh

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I took the ASTB yesterday for my DCO Intel package. The test was administered on the computer and was actually a bit easier than the ASTB books and gouge I studied.

I was originally scheduled to take the test in November and to submit my package to the February DCO Intel board, but, all further FY09 DCO boards were canceled, leaving me to apply to the last DCO board for FY09: December.

This left me with two weeks to study. I put in about 4 hours a day and landed a pretty decent score.

All of the gouge on this site was a tremendous help, however, I do wish the NOMI would release a sample, computer version of the test.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This site is the best to get the ASTB gouge. What were your scores bubblehead?

5/6/6/49

Nothing to brag about, but given the time I had to study and my work schedule over the past two weeks, I was satisfied and feel it is a pretty decent/average score.

For my DCO Intel package:

- 33 years old
- 3.4 GPA in Finance attained in 2007 (attended classes full-time at night and worked full-time)
- 9 years work experience as software engineer (self-taught)
- 4 years prior active duty service - submarines / diver
- 2 years prior active reserve service - intel
- LOR from former XO, current, and former employer
- church volunteer

After an 8 year "break" I'm trying to get back in the game.. lol..

Good luck on your next round!! I'm sure you will do well.

ru838434

Actual vs. Practice Tests

Does anyone have some information on how well they scored on the actual ASTB compared to how well they did, in terms of percentage, on the Barron's/ARCO/Marine Gouge practice tests? Thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I bought the Barron's, and used the ARCO and Marine Gogue.

-ARCO was worthwhile for the spatial portions and aviation/nautical problems. I'd say their math was a bit too difficult in terms of figures you had to manipulate without a calculator. Caveat this with I haven't done math without a calculator since 5th grade.

-Barron's is great for the practice tests. It's $18 on Amazon, probably worth it I'd say. I don't know how raw scores translate to the real test.

-Marine Gouge was closest to the real test in terms of types of questions and difficulty.

Honestly I'd say look at everything you can get your hands on. You can't be "over prepared"

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I'm not sure which Barron's book you're talking about (idk if there's more than one), but I have the Barron's Officer Candidate School Tests book, and I have found multiple mistakes in the mathematics section. For example, practice test question #28 What is the average of the following group of numbers: 45.12, 55, 60.3, 92? (round to the nearest hundredth)

a) 35.30
b) 52.36
c) 59.55
d) 28.00
e) 35.90

Confused as to why the actual answer (63.11) is not an answer choice? Check the explanation in the answer key. They used different numbers than the one in the question (12.00 instead of 55) to arrive at answer choice b. This is just one of many mistakes in this obviously-not-proofread section. Thankfully, I didn't need help with averages haha. I'm not sure about the rest of the book yet, but I am not impressed thus far... The math section is where I need the most practice, I'm so rusty! :icon_rage Maybe the other sections are good? I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but be careful with it.

callsignecho

Clock Spider
I'm not sure which Barron's book you're talking about (idk if there's more than one), but I have the Barron's Officer Candidate School Tests book, and I have found multiple mistakes in the mathematics section. For example, practice test question #28 What is the average of the following group of numbers: 45.12, 55, 60.3, 92? (round to the nearest hundredth)

a) 35.30
b) 52.36
c) 59.55
d) 28.00
e) 35.90

Confused as to why the actual answer (63.11) is not an answer choice? Check the explanation in the answer key. They used different numbers than the one in the question (12.00 instead of 55) to arrive at answer choice b. This is just one of many mistakes in this obviously-not-proofread section. Thankfully, I didn't need help with averages haha. I'm not sure about the rest of the book yet, but I am not impressed thus far... The math section is where I need the most practice, I'm so rusty! :icon_rage Maybe the other sections are good? I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but be careful with it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

What edition are you using, nikiterp86?

:scared_12