• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

Of course!

This is the Peterson's book, all you need to do is make an account and you can open it as a PDF. Elsewhere on the site there are also interactive practice tests that pull directly from the practice tests in the book. It's under the Military Test Prep dropdown menu if you click ASTB
http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=10190

This is the Marine Gouge
http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/images/1/15/ASTBgouge.pdf
And this is the mechanical supplement
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84...U5ZC00Yzc2LWI2M2ItNzk4ZGM3MTQxZmVj/edit?pli=1
It's outdated but the parent site for both of these is http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/index.php?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery

The study guide on this site is the second post in this thread:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-guide.40399/

Good Luck on your next (and hopefully final) attempt!

Oh and for what it's worth, a few posts up questions about nuclear reactors were mentioned. I did have one question pertaining to them and their basic function, something along the lines of "What is the purpose of the water in (I believe) a pressurized water reactor's core?" Wikipedia has a good write up on how these reactors work http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressurized_water_reactor
Thank you so much for these links, I have printed them out and am studying them religiously. Best of luck to you and here's hoping you get the airframe you wish to fly!

CptJBUSA

Hi guys, I am new here, found this site yesterday, I am making a switch from the Army to the Navy as Crypto officer. As Crypto I get the chance to do flight duty, so I have to take the ASTB-E, is there any one can explain how to ready the UAV part of the test. I just can figure it out myself. BTW is there anyone here going for Crypto program like I am? and any one switching from one branch to the Navy, both enlisted or officer. I am currently an O-3 in the Army.

B.S. Biological Science, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
MA Information Technology, Webster University, St. Louis MO
Fluent in Chinese, DLI 2012
Worked as police officer since 2011

exNavyOffRec

Hi guys, I am new here, found this site yesterday, I am making a switch from the Army to the Navy as Crypto officer. As Crypto I get the chance to do flight duty, so I have to take the ASTB-E, is there any one can explain how to ready the UAV part of the test. I just can figure it out myself. BTW is there anyone here going for Crypto program like I am? and any one switching from one branch to the Navy, both enlisted or officer. I am currently an O-3 in the Army.

Have you contacted the community manager for IW? since you are a current officer you would need to do an IST as they would need to see if there is space for you in the appropriate YG, I don't know whey they would have you take the ASTB as only the OAR is/has ever been required for any IDC position.

CptJBUSA

Have you contacted the community manager for IW? since you are a current officer you would need to do an IST as they would need to see if there is space for you in the appropriate YG, I don't know whey they would have you take the ASTB as only the OAR is/has ever been required for any IDC position.
Yes, I have contacted both recruiter and Office in Millington, TN. I even went to the school house in Pensacola, FL. I have ROL from O-5 crypto and E-5 crypto, also ROL from my chief of police, and a congressman(a friend).

CptJBUSA

What is IST? sorry, as an Army guy, I have to learn everything from the Navy!!!

exNavyOffRec

Yes, I have contacted both recruiter and Office in Millington, TN. I even went to the school house in Pensacola, FL. I have ROL from O-5 crypto and E-5 crypto, also ROL from my chief of police, and a congressman(a friend).

IST is inter service transfer, IST go through the community manager not NRC or a recruiter, there are a few here that have done or are doing the IST route and many have wasted valuable time working with a recruiter before eventually being told they had to go to the CM, I think azguy is an Intel guy and he should have the IDC community manager number.

CptJBUSA

IST is inter service transfer, IST go through the community manager not NRC or a recruiter, there are a few here that have done or are doing the IST route and many have wasted valuable time working with a recruiter before eventually being told they had to go to the CM, I think azguy is an Intel guy and he should have the IDC community manager number.
Thanks for the information, I will give the guy a call on Monday.

CGrissom15

You may not need this based on the posts below this one, but the attached document was what helped me figure out the UAV section. It was posted somewhere else on this forum - can't remember exactly where.

Attachments

• Parking Lot Targeting_Reasoning.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Parking Lot Targeting.pdf
    859.7 KB · Views: 99

CptJBUSA

You may not need this based on the posts below this one, but the attached document was what helped me figure out the UAV section. It was posted somewhere else on this forum - can't remember exactly where.
Thanks CGrisom15, it is a big help
JB

Al. Poison

Just took the APEX. Fucking nuts, I had studied for a month using anything and everything I could get my hands on and still halfway through felt like I was under pressure and I know I made some mistakes.

I got a 64 7/7/7. I'm hoping this helps out. My OR said its very good.

Gotta get that package in now. Feel free to ask me anything about my experience.

Palmaaa

5/8/6
I feel as if I did poorly on the reading section. This is the only section where time was of the essence for me. Finished with 5 seconds left, but rushed while doing so. Math was easier than expected and practiced UAV section numerous times which helped a lot.

I have prior pt 141 flight experience @130 sel hours.

3.4 GPA

Hope to send package in time for dec. board

j7541

I can't give enough thanks to the gents on here for providing seamlessly endless information and gouges about the new apex part of the astb-e.

I'm new to AW so excuse me in advance if im not too blunt or if Im all over the place in this forum.

I'm a enlisted marine that just took the test this past Tuesday to make a an attempt at being a naval aviation officer. I felt that the OAR was easy but the timing (completely caught me way off guard), PBM was definitely challenging. I kind of wished that I had this valuable knowledge going in first hand that I could endlessly practice certain sections.

I have a question based on my analysis of the target trakking simulation. If one was to turn the joystick module 180° in their hand would the crosshairs move in the desired areas irrespective of the opposite movements left and right? Does anyone remember the exact model of the equipment? It'd be awesome to be able to practice that last simulation persistently.
I was caught off hand by a lot and I studied for a month. Lastly, Is there a good nautical gouge? I was asked questions about a ships layout that I never knew existed. And a question about what country launched the first aerial vehicle from a ship. The options were Sweden, France, Spain, and some other country. I went with France because of the Montigolfier Bros. I also had the question about the antisub plane and went with the S starting designator for antisubmarine warfare.

The test is legit none the lesser. I went from getting perfect scores on the old test to this 44 3/5/4. I'm not the best academically but I'll push perfection within every inch of my breath. The Marine OSO and the Navy OR said to push full 8s and 9s to be competitive. If your SAT scores aren't 1000 percent the asvab can be taken in its place. I know there's a SECNAVDIR on officer promotions to the T's and I's where they factor age, race, marital status and command hours along with your test scores but I guess that's for another section on this forum.

I feel like I failed miserably after getting hyped and siked about the test. I'm doing a retake February 18th. My TIS and stats all zero out next year Sept so I have to make this test count before the end of my MSO.

exNavyOffRec

I can't give enough thanks to the gents on here for providing seamlessly endless information and gouges about the new apex part of the astb-e.

I'm new to AW so excuse me in advance if im not too blunt or if Im all over the place in this forum.

I'm a enlisted marine that just took the test this past Tuesday to make a an attempt at being a naval aviation officer. I felt that the OAR was easy but the timing (completely caught me way off guard), PBM was definitely challenging. I kind of wished that I had this valuable knowledge going in first hand that I could endlessly practice certain sections.

I have a question based on my analysis of the target trakking simulation. If one was to turn the joystick module 180° in their hand would the crosshairs move in the desired areas irrespective of the opposite movements left and right? Does anyone remember the exact model of the equipment? It'd be awesome to be able to practice that last simulation persistently.
I was caught off hand by a lot and I studied for a month. Lastly, Is there a good nautical gouge? I was asked questions about a ships layout that I never knew existed. And a question about what country launched the first aerial vehicle from a ship. The options were Sweden, France, Spain, and some other country. I went with France because of the Montigolfier Bros. I also had the question about the antisub plane and went with the S starting designator for antisubmarine warfare.

The test is legit none the lesser. I went from getting perfect scores on the old test to this 44 3/5/4. I'm not the best academically but I'll push perfection within every inch of my breath. The Marine OSO and the Navy OR said to push full 8s and 9s to be competitive. If your SAT scores aren't 1000 percent the asvab can be taken in its place. I know there's a SECNAVDIR on officer promotions to the T's and I's where they factor age, race, marital status and command hours along with your test scores but I guess that's for another section on this forum.

I feel like I failed miserably after getting hyped and siked about the test. I'm doing a retake February 18th. My TIS and stats all zero out next year Sept so I have to make this test count before the end of my MSO.

If you had perfect scores on the old test why did you retake?

j7541

If you had perfect scores on the old test why did you retake?
The Navy OR said that the new test superceded the old one and there's nothing I can do about it. Lol. In all and all. I could probably ship with the scores I have now but its not competitive enough. The Marines and the Navy want me to have very acceptable scores for the board.
I'm itching to take this test again.

The OARs difficulty is in the timing and the increases in question difficulty. I saw this first in the reading. I was cruising fine till the computer started slamming me with complicated orm and navy directive questions and questions that a commander might normally know. Come to think about it the initial assessment prior to the test did ask about if your military or not and a bunch of other things. I don't know if that got factored in. Can't beat a algorithmic computer that thinks about what to their at you. It's like playing solitaire or chess on the PC. The intent is probably to get a better feel on candidates instead of the paper tests.

exNavyOffRec

The Navy OR said that the new test superceded the old one and there's nothing I can do about it. Lol. In all and all. I could probably ship with the scores I have now but its not competitive enough. The Marines and the Navy want me to have very acceptable scores for the board.
I'm itching to take this test again.

The OARs difficulty is in the timing and the increases in question difficulty. I saw this first in the reading. I was cruising fine till the computer started slamming me with complicated orm and navy directive questions and questions that a commander might normally know. Come to think about it the initial assessment prior to the test did ask about if your military or not and a bunch of other things. I don't know if that got factored in. Can't beat a algorithmic computer that thinks about what to their at you. It's like playing solitaire or chess on the PC. The intent is probably to get a better feel on candidates instead of the paper tests.

No I was asking why you retook the exam? ASTB is good for life, well really good for as long as you meet age requirements.