• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
Gentleman, my 2nd testing date is coming up. My old scores (under the old version) 47 6/5/56 My new scores (with the new test version) 51 5/4/5. I know I did so poorly the second time due to me being an idiot and pressing the trigger twice on the joystick portion to get it to load faster. (I basically had no idea which buttons to press during the Left/Right ear sequence). I do now, and if I have to sit perfectly still for an hour waiting for it to load this time I will do that. Still, the math portion seemed impossible with all the word problems (nothing like the ones on the ASTB E book). Any math resources that anyone would recommend?

In the meantime I am an active Marine reservist if anyone wants to ask about that route for going officer. (I'm trying to go lateral to Navy, but my brother is a senior in USMC PLC-Aviation Option so I have some knowledge on that subject.)

Thanks! (And Happy Early Birthday to the Motivators on here! RAH)
Good luck! I took it last week and I found myself confused on the listening portion as well. I thought this would have been the easy part, but I guess I didn't understand the "target ear" concept. Would have made a huge difference had I listened to one ear at a time. This is why I feel my scores were only 6s.

Why do you feel you did bad on the math section? Did the questions go from hard to easy? Did it question you for the whole 40 minutes? Just curious. If you are having trouble with word problems, do a Google search for Algebra 2 word problems and answers. I did this, and worked any problem I could find. Then wouldn't you know, come test time, one word problem, and it was easy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck! I took it last week and I found myself confused on the listening portion as well. I thought this would have been the easy part, but I guess I didn't understand the "target ear" concept. Would have made a huge difference had I listened to one ear at a time. This is why I feel my scores were only 6s.

Why do you feel you did bad on the math section? Did the questions go from hard to easy? Did it question you for the whole 40 minutes? Just curious. If you are having trouble with word problems, do a Google search for Algebra 2 word problems and answers. I did this, and worked any problem I could find. Then wouldn't you know, come test time, one word problem, and it was easy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Actually, the math questions remained fairly difficult the whole time, and it did feel like it was questioning me the whole 40 minutes. I really appreciate your help-I have just now started googling "algebra 2 word problems" and will use that as a study aid for the 20 days I have until my test. The reading portion is hard, (I knew I was doing eh when I would get the "easy" question right, then get the hard one right, and then know I got the "harder" one wrong because it would return me to the easy question. This repeated itself the entire time I took that sub test.) but I "study" enough for that part simply by reading political articles every day. Any tips on that one? The mechanical comp came down to really knowing various permutations of Bernoulli's Principle.

bkos1207

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here a long time and I figured I would finally post, but first I would like to thank everyone for all the help and information on the ASTB that has been put forth here. I used this site exclusively to find study materials and I would like to give a little overview of what my experience with the ASTB was.

I took the ASTB at NRD Philadelphia on 11/4/14. The entire test including BI-RV took about 3.5 hours.

My score was 63/8/9/8

My primary study materials were:

Peterson's Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests 8th edition
The Marine gouge practice ASTB
The Marine gouge mechanical comprehension supplement (the one with the hornet on the cover)
The personal study guide posted elsewhere on this website (Read this LAST as it pulls from all the other sources)

I can link to any of these resources if needed, they are all available free online

Math:
The math section was basically what I was expecting. The study guides do a good job preparing you for this, lots of time and distance stuff, square roots, and exponents. As people have said before it's more about understanding the concepts and orders of operation. I had 40 minutes and the test stopped me with 11 minutes remaining.

Reading:
The reading section as many have said before is EXTREMELY dry and technical. Read it a few times and try and match one of the answers EXACTLY to the passage. Leave nothing to chance. If it probably means the same thing as the passage, it is wrong. This one took me almost the full 30 minutes, stopping me with less than a minute remaining.

Mechanical:
This section was a little different than I expected. Lots of Newtonian physics, a few gravity and acceleration problems, very little pulley and mechanical advantage stuff. Nonetheless, all of the information is intro high school physics, however my study materials weren't quite spot on. This one is only 15 minutes and stopped me after 11 or 12.

Aviation and Nautical Info:
This was the furthest departure from what I studied, it is much more in-depth than many of the study guides would lead you to believe. A basic knowledge of VFR flight procedures will definitely help with some of the questions, and KNOW THE COLORS OF FLIGHT DECK CREWS. The section has a fairly broad scope however this section is the only one you could really study for.

Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory:
It's uncomfortable, just go with your gut, most of the situations are both bad, I tried to pick the lesser of two evils if neither could at all relate to me.

Performance Based Measurements:
The UAV section gives you unlimited practice time, just hit back when you get to the end of the practice and it will repeat. I found the most effective strategy for this was to look at the map overview and say in my head what the orientation would be from the aircraft's view. So, example: if the UAV is headed northwest and it says to target the south parking lot, from the UAV view, the south parking lot would be LEFT and CLOSE, being that it was on the left and closer to the aircraft. Another example: UAV headed southeast, target the east parking lot. Would be LEFT and FAR. UAV headed south, target the north parking lot: would be CLOSE. Don't wait for the announcement to finish before clicking, the timer starts as soon as you hear the announcer start talking. I was able to get my reactions in the 1.8-2.3 second range using this method.
The dichotic listening part isn't too bad, get into the rhythm of it and tune out your other ear. I found myself leaning in the direction of the ear I was listening to. One axis tracking is horrible, the response is not linear at all, just try and keep it close. Two axis is kind of weird with the inverted Y axis. It helped me to picture it in 3 dimensions even though I couldn't control the Z axis. Thankfully this one is much more responsive. Both together, just try and track both in your peripheral vision and keep them close. I found myself getting reversed on the Y axis on the stick occasionally because it is reversed from the throttle. When they threw in the dichotic listening I actually felt like I did a bit better, listening for the numbers as it helped me "zone in". Emergency procedures, I wrote the procedures down in big capital letters right in front of me. When a warning comes up, I devoted more attention to correcting it quickly but I still at least tried to track the targets. Note that the fuel and power gauges will snap to center after every procedure, i.e. the knob to control it does not have a memory. Just flick the wheel until the needle swings in the direction you want it to go.

Biographic Inventory with Response Verification:

This is tedious, it's 110 questions, and if you answer yes to anything, it will ask you for further detail. Just chug through it and answer to the best of your ability.

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
Actually, the math questions remained fairly difficult the whole time, and it did feel like it was questioning me the whole 40 minutes. I really appreciate your help-I have just now started googling "algebra 2 word problems" and will use that as a study aid for the 20 days I have until my test. The reading portion is hard, (I knew I was doing eh when I would get the "easy" question right, then get the hard one right, and then know I got the "harder" one wrong because it would return me to the easy question. This repeated itself the entire time I took that sub test.) but I "study" enough for that part simply by reading political articles every day. Any tips on that one? The mechanical comp came down to really knowing various permutations of Bernoulli's Principle.
The math for me was hard and didn't get any easier. It only lasted maybe 20-25 minutes then moved me on to reading comp. I experienced the same thing as you, and it made me go the whole time. I feel like there's nothing you can really do to study for this. I didn't get any Bernoulli, but it did ask a few questions about nuclear reactors. This surprised me because I haven't seen anyone on this thread warn of any questions like these. All in all, I feel the reading brought my score down.

The math for me was hard and didn't get any easier. It only lasted maybe 20-25 minutes then moved me on to reading comp. I experienced the same thing as you, and it made me go the whole time. I feel like there's nothing you can really do to study for this. I didn't get any Bernoulli, but it did ask a few questions about nuclear reactors. This surprised me because I haven't seen anyone on this thread warn of any questions like these. All in all, I feel the reading brought my score down.
Sorry to hear that, although perhaps your scores are not as bad as you think. Nuclear reactors? Wow I've taken the ASTB 3 times (The old one 2x, the new one 1x-long story) and I *never* got any questions that had to do with nuclear reactors. Hopefully I will get basic ones if get ones on nukes.

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here a long time and I figured I would finally post, but first I would like to thank everyone for all the help and information on the ASTB that has been put forth here. I used this site exclusively to find study materials and I would like to give a little overview of what my experience with the ASTB was.

I took the ASTB at NRD Philadelphia on 11/4/14. The entire test including BI-RV took about 3.5 hours.

My score was 63/8/9/8

My primary study materials were:

Peterson's Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests 8th edition
The Marine gouge practice ASTB
The Marine gouge mechanical comprehension supplement (the one with the hornet on the cover)
The personal study guide posted elsewhere on this website (Read this LAST as it pulls from all the other sources)

I can link to any of these resources if needed, they are all available free online

Math:
The math section was basically what I was expecting. The study guides do a good job preparing you for this, lots of time and distance stuff, square roots, and exponents. As people have said before it's more about understanding the concepts and orders of operation. I had 40 minutes and the test stopped me with 11 minutes remaining.

Reading:
The reading section as many have said before is EXTREMELY dry and technical. Read it a few times and try and match one of the answers EXACTLY to the passage. Leave nothing to chance. If it probably means the same thing as the passage, it is wrong. This one took me almost the full 30 minutes, stopping me with less than a minute remaining.

Mechanical:
This section was a little different than I expected. Lots of Newtonian physics, a few gravity and acceleration problems, very little pulley and mechanical advantage stuff. Nonetheless, all of the information is intro high school physics, however my study materials weren't quite spot on. This one is only 15 minutes and stopped me after 11 or 12.

Aviation and Nautical Info:
This was the furthest departure from what I studied, it is much more in-depth than many of the study guides would lead you to believe. A basic knowledge of VFR flight procedures will definitely help with some of the questions, and KNOW THE COLORS OF FLIGHT DECK CREWS. The section has a fairly broad scope however this section is the only one you could really study for.

Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory:
It's uncomfortable, just go with your gut, most of the situations are both bad, I tried to pick the lesser of two evils if neither could at all relate to me.

Performance Based Measurements:
The UAV section gives you unlimited practice time, just hit back when you get to the end of the practice and it will repeat. I found the most effective strategy for this was to look at the map overview and say in my head what the orientation would be from the aircraft's view. So, example: if the UAV is headed northwest and it says to target the south parking lot, from the UAV view, the south parking lot would be LEFT and CLOSE, being that it was on the left and closer to the aircraft. Another example: UAV headed southeast, target the east parking lot. Would be LEFT and FAR. UAV headed south, target the north parking lot: would be CLOSE. Don't wait for the announcement to finish before clicking, the timer starts as soon as you hear the announcer start talking. I was able to get my reactions in the 1.8-2.3 second range using this method.
The dichotic listening part isn't too bad, get into the rhythm of it and tune out your other ear. I found myself leaning in the direction of the ear I was listening to. One axis tracking is horrible, the response is not linear at all, just try and keep it close. Two axis is kind of weird with the inverted Y axis. It helped me to picture it in 3 dimensions even though I couldn't control the Z axis. Thankfully this one is much more responsive. Both together, just try and track both in your peripheral vision and keep them close. I found myself getting reversed on the Y axis on the stick occasionally because it is reversed from the throttle. When they threw in the dichotic listening I actually felt like I did a bit better, listening for the numbers as it helped me "zone in". Emergency procedures, I wrote the procedures down in big capital letters right in front of me. When a warning comes up, I devoted more attention to correcting it quickly but I still at least tried to track the targets. Note that the fuel and power gauges will snap to center after every procedure, i.e. the knob to control it does not have a memory. Just flick the wheel until the needle swings in the direction you want it to go.

Biographic Inventory with Response Verification:

This is tedious, it's 110 questions, and if you answer yes to anything, it will ask you for further detail. Just chug through it and answer to the best of your ability.
I really wanted to thank you for taking the time to post here after lurking for so long-not to mention congratulations on such high scores! I've searched in vain for the ASTB guides that you have linked, although I have been studying the ASTB E and Dummies books. If you had the time to link one, two or all of the gouges you mentioned I would greatly appreciate it.

bkos1207

I really wanted to thank you for taking the time to post here after lurking for so long-not to mention congratulations on such high scores! I've searched in vain for the ASTB guides that you have linked, although I have been studying the ASTB E and Dummies books. If you had the time to link one, two or all of the gouges you mentioned I would greatly appreciate it.

Of course!

This is the Peterson's book, all you need to do is make an account and you can open it as a PDF. Elsewhere on the site there are also interactive practice tests that pull directly from the practice tests in the book. It's under the Military Test Prep dropdown menu if you click ASTB
http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=10190

This is the Marine Gouge
http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/images/1/15/ASTBgouge.pdf
And this is the mechanical supplement
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84...U5ZC00Yzc2LWI2M2ItNzk4ZGM3MTQxZmVj/edit?pli=1
It's outdated but the parent site for both of these is http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.17.0/index.php?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery

The study guide on this site is the second post in this thread:
http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-study-guide.40399/

Good Luck on your next (and hopefully final) attempt!

Oh and for what it's worth, a few posts up questions about nuclear reactors were mentioned. I did have one question pertaining to them and their basic function, something along the lines of "What is the purpose of the water in (I believe) a pressurized water reactor's core?" Wikipedia has a good write up on how these reactors work http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressurized_water_reactor

alstona

Hey guy,

Currently sailing as a Mate with MSC and I am SSRG as well and trying to do a lateral transfer. If you could shoot me a message on how you went about this I would greatly appreciate it since it looks like I'm a nearly identical boat as you, and us SSO's seem to be odd ball cases in redesignation

Cheers
Sam
Do you know some of the names of the books you used to study the mathematics? In my Accepted Inc. ASTB book it covers probability, rate, simplifications and a little geometry at the end but it really didn't get into logarithms or matrices.

Chris18

Hi everyone,
I plan to take the ASTB-E a week from Tuesday (18 Nov), and just found this website. What a fantastic resource! Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum, it really has helped focus my studying. I have been using the Accepted, Inc ASTB-E book, an older Military Standardized test book, GMAT study book, and whatever else I can find online with specific questions I have. I am fairly confident with the Reading, Mechanical, and Aviation/Nautical sections, but am very nervous for the math portion (math was never my strong suit). Someone suggested using the Cliff Notes: Math Standardized test book, and I am picking up a copy of that today. What other resources helped you guys with preparing for the math section?

I also have a couple of questions regarding the set up:

-Since this is on a computer, you are unable to backtrack to previous questions. If you are stuck on a problem, and have NO idea how to solve it, is it best to guess or to leave it blank? Do you even have the option to leave an answer blank before moving to the next question?

-Several of you mentioned how the Math section seems to cut you off at a random number, no matter how much time is left on the clock. Did you notice if that was the case for the other sections? Or do you have the set 30 Mechanical, 20 Reading, 30 Aviation/Nautical?

Much appreciated!

bkos1207

Hi everyone,
I plan to take the ASTB-E a week from Tuesday (18 Nov), and just found this website. What a fantastic resource! Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum, it really has helped focus my studying. I have been using the Accepted, Inc ASTB-E book, an older Military Standardized test book, GMAT study book, and whatever else I can find online with specific questions I have. I am fairly confident with the Reading, Mechanical, and Aviation/Nautical sections, but am very nervous for the math portion (math was never my strong suit). Someone suggested using the Cliff Notes: Math Standardized test book, and I am picking up a copy of that today. What other resources helped you guys with preparing for the math section?

I also have a couple of questions regarding the set up:

-Since this is on a computer, you are unable to backtrack to previous questions. If you are stuck on a problem, and have NO idea how to solve it, is it best to guess or to leave it blank? Do you even have the option to leave an answer blank before moving to the next question?

-Several of you mentioned how the Math section seems to cut you off at a random number, no matter how much time is left on the clock. Did you notice if that was the case for the other sections? Or do you have the set 30 Mechanical, 20 Reading, 30 Aviation/Nautical?

Much appreciated!

Since the test is adaptive, you cannot go back, nor can you skip questions. If you don't know, try to make an educated guess. I too was most worried about the math, but the study guides do a great job with what you need to know, and resources such as Khan Academy can teach you how to do them if it's been awhile.

I believe all the subtests will stop you after the computer has enough information to score you, or at least the OAR ones will, but don't worry about beating the clock. Be mindful of it, but you are not given the amount of questions remaining, only the time remaining. I never really felt rushed, but I wouldn't dwell longer than necessary on a problem.

Good luck!

Texas452

SNA - Primary Complete
Hi everyone,

I was recently selected for SNA (Pro Rec Y) due mainly to the help of my recruiter and this website. The ASTB-E is a huge part of being a successful applicant. When I took the ASTB-E I scored a 71 8/8/8. If you are going to take the test definitely read everything on this feed. You might also want to check out the feed “1,001 questions about the ASTB” http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/1-001-questions-about-the-astb-post-your-scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-186#post-796422. Besides the materials shown the Apatrick study guide (attached below) this feed is one of the most valuable study materials you can get. Beyond that the only advice I can offer is the books you can buy are not really helpful and there is no way to prepare for the Performance Based Measures section of the exam. The Performance Based Measures (PBE) is pretty much 100% chance if you good at it or not. Just relax and don’t get flustered. When I was taking the PBE portion I thought I was failing miserable but everything worked out alright. Study hard and best of luck to everyone taking the test. I included most of the items I study below, all of which were obtained from somewhere on this website.

Attachments

• (Part 1)ASTB Practice.pdf
    420.5 KB · Views: 279
  • (Part 2) ASTB Practice Answers.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 189
  • Apatrick_ASTB_Personal_Study_Guide.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 231
  • astboverview.pdf
    252.4 KB · Views: 193
  • barron-prac-astb-test.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 210
  • Marine Aviaton Guide Supp.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 173
  • Navy Airman Guide.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 225
  • Sim Portion of ASTB.pdf
    463.7 KB · Views: 201

speedroller

Rangers
Hi everyone,

I was recently selected for SNA (Pro Rec Y) due mainly to the help of my recruiter and this website. The ASTB-E is a huge part of being a successful applicant. When I took the ASTB-E I scored a 71 8/8/8. If you are going to take the test definitely read everything on this feed. You might also want to check out the feed “1,001 questions about the ASTB” http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/1-001-questions-about-the-astb-post-your-scores-ask-your-questions-here.28348/page-186#post-796422. Besides the materials shown the Apatrick study guide (attached below) this feed is one of the most valuable study materials you can get. Beyond that the only advice I can offer is the books you can buy are not really helpful and there is no way to prepare for the Performance Based Measures section of the exam. The Performance Based Measures (PBE) is pretty much 100% chance if you good at it or not. Just relax and don’t get flustered. When I was taking the PBE portion I thought I was failing miserable but everything worked out alright. Study hard and best of luck to everyone taking the test. I included most of the items I study below, all of which were obtained from somewhere on this website.

Thank you for adding your study guides, some of them were new to me. Great help!

Chris18

Since the test is adaptive, you cannot go back, nor can you skip questions. If you don't know, try to make an educated guess. I too was most worried about the math, but the study guides do a great job with what you need to know, and resources such as Khan Academy can teach you how to do them if it's been awhile.

I believe all the subtests will stop you after the computer has enough information to score you, or at least the OAR ones will, but don't worry about beating the clock. Be mindful of it, but you are not given the amount of questions remaining, only the time remaining. I never really felt rushed, but I wouldn't dwell longer than necessary on a problem.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!

lliesemeyer

In regards to the math portion of the exam, I've done the ACRO test and the Marine Gouge and had little problem with the math section included within these materials but on the other hand the math problems included in the ASTB for dummies book contains much more difficult calculations that I've struggled a good deal with. Do the math questions on the ASTB resemble those included in the Marine Gouge and ACRO test or do the go into more complex and difficult calculations?

Texas452

SNA - Primary Complete
In regards to the math portion of the exam, I've done the ACRO test and the Marine Gouge and had little problem with the math section included within these materials but on the other hand the math problems included in the ASTB for dummies book contains much more difficult calculations that I've struggled a good deal with. Do the math questions on the ASTB resemble those included in the Marine Gouge and ACRO test or do the go into more complex and difficult calculations?

The questions you get in the math section of the ASTB get more difficult as you get questions right. I did use the ASTB for dummies book and it was helpful to some degree. I got questions from simple algebra to complex log rhythms and sequence questions when I took the test. It is just kind of luck of the draw. I would prepare for the hard questions because even if you don’t the difficult questions you will be better prepared for the simple ones. Best advice I can give is that you can never really do too many practice problems.