• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

Gillie1985

Thanks for the information, I Take the test on Tuesday. I hope all this information and what I've got for the AW's so far will help.

RMpilot

What you are saying that your Y axis on the joystick was not inverted? Am I interpreting this correctly?
Sorry if it was not clear... the stick orientation matches that of an airplane. Pull aft (towards your body) on the stick, and the crosshair moves up on the screen. Push forward on the stick, and the crosshair moves down on the screen.

speedroller

Rangers
Sorry if it was not clear... the stick orientation matches that of an airplane. Pull aft (towards your body) on the stick, and the crosshair moves up on the screen. Push forward on the stick, and the crosshair moves down on the screen.
Thank you for your answer. I find it interesting that either test location, or other factors provided test takers two settings. Most that I have spoken to, had the inverted Y axis and some did not.

Is there anyone else that experience the same?

WeissHatter

I've been a lurker on these forums for a few months now. I wanted to sincerely thank everyone who has taken the time to post their experiences of the ASTB - reading through posts and study guides helped me immensely. I'd like to return the favor by posting my overall experience taking the OAR.

Brief background: Started application process in SEPT '14. Went to MEPS on 06DEC, got cleared. Took OAR on 08JAN, got a 51 score. I have a BA in Applied Communications, pursuing an MS in Information Assurance with a Cyber Security emphasis. My application was sent out to the SWO and SUPPO boards yesterday (#1 and #2 choice, respectively.) Never been strong at math; the most I've done is Algebra 2 in High School and took a College Algebra class many years ago in college. Never learned much of Physics aside from some introductory information in high school, and have been great at English and writing.

For preparation, I used most of the experience posts from this forum and around AirWarriors, and purchased a GRE Math Test Book (HIGHLY recommend! - http://www.amazon.com/CliffsNotes-R...&qid=1421162191&sr=8-6&keywords=gre+math+prep) and the Accepted! OAR guide (It's moderately useful - if you can, find it used or get it from a library. Some of the material still seems outdated. http://www.amazon.com/OAR-Study-Gui...8&qid=1421162250&sr=8-1&keywords=accepted+oar). I also used the ASTB Practice Test from Peterson's online (NOTE: This test was removed on 01JAN15, I called a representative and she said it was removed, among a handful of other tests, due to budget cuts this year. I only had the chance to complete half of the practice test before they removed the link!) There are more links I used online for general math and physics knowledge; I will upload the Prep Guide I made for myself, complete with links. Apologies for it's overall sloppiness.

The OAR threw me off for a few sections; I will break down my experience with each part of the test.

Math: This threw me off guard; I studied a lot of logs, matrices, some exponents and fractions, etc. I experienced NO logs or matrices and NO linear equations. There were a few Distance problems (D=RxT), a few complex equations that needed simplified (Practice exponent rules and fractional exponents!), a few word problems with probability (I didn't receive the painter problem, but experienced something similar - check out Work Equations and Word Problems through a Google search). I think I barely made it through this section, to be honest. I expected as much considering I don't have much of a math background.

ALSO, please look over geometry. I skipped this section based on what I read on the forums, and paid for it. Know area, perimeter, Pythagorean theorem just in case. I had a problem involving area of a cube after the perimeter is shrunk on the width only. If you have been through College Algebra, Calculus and Trig, you should do just fine. There is also a formula bar with common math formulas that you can click on.

I think I only finished about 12 questions before I got switched over to reading comprehension. I felt like I bombed this section.

Reading Comprehension: This section didn't have as many military-dense sections as others had stated. No true way to review this; some of the example problems in the Accepted! book helped. The military-dense portions can be a little confusing, but take your time reading through it, re-read the passage, and start eliminating answers that AREN'T SPECIFICALLY STATED. That's the best advice I can relay.

Mechanical Comprehension: I didn't study much about electrical systems and schematics, though I should have. I got two electrical questions regarding symbols used on a schematic and what certain diagrams mean, along with a question about how an A/C condenser works (came out of left field - I guessed on this one). Otherwise, a few pulley questions, gear questions, work questions (is more work exerted pushing a block up ramp A or ramp B?), and read up on centrifugal motion and centripetal motion.

Overall, I'm extremely happy I got above a 48, especially after encountering the Math section. I studied about 3 hours a day, 3 days a week for about 3 weeks before the test, with a cram session the day before for a solid 6 hours. Best of luck to all who have yet to take it!

Private Pyle

Hey AW community. Like some of the earlier posts I've read, I wish I would've discovered this site sooner. I stumbled upon user Nate's post regarding his experience with the ASTB-E/APEX-4 and naturally I have some questions of my own. At most, I require reassurance. His post caught me off guard in regards to the material (primarily the mathematics portion), so I'm kind of curious as to where I stand in regards to preparation and future chances of being selected. I'm a fan of constructive criticism and being brash, so please, don't hold back your thoughts.

I graduated this past December with a BS in Criminology and with a GPA of 3.29. I'm also an Eagle Scout with Order of the Arrow. I only have 4.2 hours or so of flight experience (it's hard on a college budget), but I've worked around airplanes for 4 years (Delta Airlines and private airports) so I possess a vast amount of knowledge on the subject.

I've been studying from Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I'm pretty sure it's outdated due to the 2011 timestamp and the fact that a new test came out in 2013. Anyway, while I know the tests will not be similar to the practice tests I have been taking, I wanted to provide my practice scores in order for you, the experts out there in the AW community that have been through the process, to kind of gauge how I may or may not do on the actual ASTB-E. This is quite a last minute request, considering my test date is January 15, 2015 (tomorrow!), but it is my 1st attempt, so there is room for improvement. Here are my practice test scores as of Saturday, Jan 10, 2015:

Mathematics: 23/30
Reading: 20/27
Mechanical: 22/30
Spatial Apperception: 27/30
Aviation/Nautical Info: 26/30
Aviation Supplemental Test: 28/34

Those scores were total correct vs total questions. Also, all sections were completed within the allotted time frames - most with 8+ minutes left to check work.

Also, a few questions I have regarding the ASTB-E:

1. Will the mathematic portion truthfully contain Logarithms and possibly matrices - or any other more complex arithmetic? I've heard conflicting statements regarding this.
2. On the reading portion, since it is on the computer, are candidates able to view the questions/answers prior to reading the passage or are they able to go between the passage and question? My strategy is to read the question first, and then double back, but if such a strategy cannot be implemented, then I need to obviously reevaluate.

I apologize if any of these comments or questions are redundant, considering there are 194 pages of comments on this particular thread. I'm at work and I just don't have the time to read it all.

If anyone is able or willing to provide valuable insight or advice on the aforementioned topics, I will be incredibly grateful!

Thanks y'all. KCCO

V/r, Travis

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Will the mathematic portion truthfully contain Logarithms and possibly matrices - or any other more complex arithmetic? I've heard conflicting statements regarding this.
1. Depends on how well you do. Remember that the test evolves depending on how many correct or incorrect answers you provide.

Tasha

Hey AW community. Like some of the earlier posts I've read, I wish I would've discovered this site sooner. I stumbled upon user Nate's post regarding his experience with the ASTB-E/APEX-4 and naturally I have some questions of my own. At most, I require reassurance. His post caught me off guard in regards to the material (primarily the mathematics portion), so I'm kind of curious as to where I stand in regards to preparation and future chances of being selected. I'm a fan of constructive criticism and being brash, so please, don't hold back your thoughts.

I graduated this past December with a BS in Criminology and with a GPA of 3.29. I'm also an Eagle Scout with Order of the Arrow. I only have 4.2 hours or so of flight experience (it's hard on a college budget), but I've worked around airplanes for 4 years (Delta Airlines and private airports) so I possess a vast amount of knowledge on the subject.

I've been studying from Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I'm pretty sure it's outdated due to the 2011 timestamp and the fact that a new test came out in 2013. Anyway, while I know the tests will not be similar to the practice tests I have been taking, I wanted to provide my practice scores in order for you, the experts out there in the AW community that have been through the process, to kind of gauge how I may or may not do on the actual ASTB-E. This is quite a last minute request, considering my test date is January 15, 2015 (tomorrow!), but it is my 1st attempt, so there is room for improvement. Here are my practice test scores as of Saturday, Jan 10, 2015:

Mathematics: 23/30
Reading: 20/27
Mechanical: 22/30
Spatial Apperception: 27/30
Aviation/Nautical Info: 26/30
Aviation Supplemental Test: 28/34

Those scores were total correct vs total questions. Also, all sections were completed within the allotted time frames - most with 8+ minutes left to check work.

Also, a few questions I have regarding the ASTB-E:

2. On the reading portion, since it is on the computer, are candidates able to view the questions/answers prior to reading the passage or are they able to go between the passage and question? My strategy is to read the question first, and then double back, but if such a strategy cannot be implemented, then I need to obviously reevaluate.

I apologize if any of these comments or questions are redundant, considering there are 194 pages of comments on this particular thread. I'm at work and I just don't have the time to read it all.

If anyone is able or willing to provide valuable insight or advice on the aforementioned topics, I will be incredibly grateful!

Thanks y'all. KCCO

V/r, Travis

Hi Travis,

1. Since the test is adaptive. You may run into logs. I ran into 2 log questions. Depends how well you answer your questions.
2. You cannot double back in the reading portion. You have to read the passage and select the best answer. Again, the test is adaptive and gets harder as you're doing well.

CGrissom15

Regarding the math portion - it's all adaptive so if you knock a bunch of questions out of the park you may experience higher level problems. I was doing well on the mechanical section and they threw a question at me about nuclear reactors. I guessed C.

What are you applying for? That will greatly effect the advice you receive on here in regards on what to focus on and helpful hints/suggestions.

Private Pyle

What are you applying for? That will greatly effect the advice you receive on here in regards on what to focus on and helpful hints/suggestions.

My apologies. I'm aiming for pilot, strike fighters ideally. That may be vague, but really anything that puts me in the sky, hopefully as the pilot and not a NFO. (I understand that I can get to flight school and still be at the mercy of the needs of the Navy, meaning I get what is available) However, if NFO is truthfully the only thing available and I have exhausted all 3 attempts, then I will spring for that, of course. Back-up plans are SWO and Submarines.

CGrissom15

The parking lot targeting is important - make sure you have a full understanding of that. Also, when given the emergency procedures for the flight portion, write them down so you can reference them when they appear on the screen. That helped me a good bit. Good luck!

CGrissom15

Now, I've read many posts regarding it, even user Nate's breakdown, but it is difficult to convert the explanations into an image. Any suggestions?

There is a document floating around somewhere with explanations and practice problems, I have it saved though so here it is. This is what helped it click with me, hopefully it'll make sense to you too.

Attachments

• Parking Lot Targeting_Reasoning.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Parking Lot Targeting with answers.pdf
    226.8 KB · Views: 179

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
Now, I've read many posts regarding it, even user Nate's breakdown, but it is difficult to convert the explanations into an image. Any suggestions?
Use the practice questions until you get the hang of it and can answer in ~2 seconds. You have unlimited practice attempts, so just keep doing them until you feel ready to start that section. the practice is identical to the actual questions. Regarding your initial question, the math is sort of random. Doing well is gonna result in harder questions, plain and simple. Be happy when you start seeing really hard questions, it means you're doing well! For the reading, you will see the paragraph with all answers listed below it on the same screen. You will be able to read the answers before the paragraph if you wish, as they are all going to be in front of you at the same time. However, once a question is answered, there is no going back, and this is true on every section of the test.

Private Pyle

So, alot of you, primarily the previous few individuals to respond, are showing quite high test scores. Are these after your 1st attempt? 2nd? 3rd? How many hours of study? I'm just trying to compare what the masses are doing to what I'm doing - although I know we all are so different from one another.

Oh, and I just completed the BI-RV and it pretty much made me feel as if I didn't do a thing in high school or college that is worth while towards Naval Aviation or anything similar. I know it has no effect on the test results, but still, worries me a bit in regards to the Board.