• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Are There Any "Good Gigs" Left?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Did you say you wanted to stay in grey aircraft? I don't think that's possible...may some FTS route but difficult to do.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
3q64y0.jpg

Haha. There's a lot to be said. What do you want to know? I'm P-3/P-8 so that's where I know the most.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
Well, I am most interested in selecting P-8's right now. I've heard through the student grapevine that most Navy guys are getting their first pick right now, given they have the grades. Does that matter? No, not really. Is that true? Umm, I'm not going to ask the CO. But, my top two choices for the dream sheet are 1. Maritime and 2. Tailhook. With intentions on the P-8, and E/A or F/A's. I would also like C-2's, but with twice as many E-2 seats to fill - it just seems risky. Not to sh@t in any E-2 driver's cereal, but from what I've read it wouldn't be my #1.

I think I would enjoy a lot of things about the P-8's. I have an airline background so I guess I just gravitate toward it. That among other things that catch my personal interest. Then I start thinking, "You only have one chance ever, EVER, to fly jets on and off boats." It seems both platforms open many doors for later in life, so a draw there. I've also heard that jet guys get burnt out quickly, i.e huge retention bonus (please stay). If you've ever seen the documentary "Speed & Angels" there is a segment where a senior officer talks about life as a fighter pilot, and it's really not as glorious as everyone envisions. It stuck with me for some reason. So, more or less, I wouldn't want to select jets and wind up feeling that burn out. But, I don't want to be an envious P-8 driver wishing I was doing something more exciting.

Or, maybe I shouldn't worry about it since I'm still in Primary CONTACTS. :cool:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You shouldn't really worry about it yet.

But, whatever you decide/have decided for you, keep in mind you may get burned out in any community. The good news is that after Wings +8 (ish), you're free to move on to other things if you so desire.

Renegade One

None
Nothing is ever as glorious as anyone envisions. ;)
Except for the old VF community, of course, which doesn't exist any longer… ;)

"A day in fighters is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Fighter Community!" ~ With apologies to SGT Al Apone, Colonial Marines

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Like I said, there's pluses and minuses to everything and you've seemed to tap into that already. Seriously though, if you have any specific questions I'll answer them, no bull. Ask your instructors questions, what they loved/hated and why. You don't have to make any decisions yet and your mind will change several times throughout primary. Like I said, I really enjoyed my time in P-3s and if you get P-8s I'm fully confident things will get better. There seem to be a large amount of bitter people in the community but pay no attention to them. People like to bitch and I think a lot is tied to flying an old aircraft with outdated equipment.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How's that old saying go... "Well, son, if you have to ask, pack warm and enjoy VP-30!"
I totally agree with this... ^^^ if you're not really committed to the tailhook/boat/night CQ "thing", you'll have less seasickness, and greater satisfaction/income with the VPs!;)

*Remember, Hornets don't have inflight kitchens, saunas, or waterbeds!:eek:
BzB

I totally agree with this... ^^^ if you're not really committed to the tailhook/boat/night CQ "thing", you'll have less seasickness, and greater satisfaction/income with the VPs!;)

*Remember, Hornets don't have inflight kitchens, saunas, or waterbeds!:eek:
BzB
Waterbed.... Is that when the piss bucket tips over, and someone slips and falls in the puddle?

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
HSL-31 Det. Bravo HH-2D on the USNS Chauvent...day only...stateroom w/mess that has tablecloths, menus and stewards...Pretty rough, and homeported in Subic!

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
How's that old saying go... "Well, son, if you have to ask, pack warm and enjoy VP-30!"

no one is going to twist your arm and make you go tailhook. like busybee said, you want to have motivation locked down for the whole day/night CQ stuff, otherwise you will prob get burnt out.

that being said, I know zero bitter guys flying the P8

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
If you do end up with tailhook, among all the bros I know, the most fun seems to be had up here in Growler land. All the speed and adventure, without as much of the jet guy attitude and cynicism combo (from what they tell me). And you get to live in beautiful Whidbey Island, WA. That is, unless you're not impressed by nature.